OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:34:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do the OO Make the Sign of the Cross?  (Read 2315 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« on: August 16, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »

How do the OO make the sign of the Cross?  Is it the same way the EO do it?  Thanks Smiley

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »

In the Armenian Church we do it the same direction as the Catholics, only we use three fingers.  Also, we touch our hearts after making the sign of the cross.

Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 09:32:06 PM »

Copts do the sing of the cross the same way Armenians do it except without touching the heart. Sometimes if its done quickly it looks like itd being done the Catholic way...

The Greeks do it the regular EO way but also touch their hearts after. the people at my parish sometimes do it so quickly it looks like they're just waving their hands in front of their chests and then touch their hearts, lol. Thats a bad habit we got.
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 08:03:14 PM »

Yes, the Copts do it like the Armenians, and I have seen them touch there hearts or make the Sign of the Cross over their hearts.  We use the three finger and go forehead, breast, left shoulder right shoulder.  The order of the shoulders is a symbolic reminder that Christ has moved us from the wrong way to the right way.  From death to life.  The Bible says that at the Judgement, Christ will seperate them...some on the right and some on the left.  Those on the right will be ushered in the Kingdom, and those on the left will be told,"Depart from me you who work lawlessness.  I never knew you."  So, the order in which Copts touch their shoulders in making the Sign is highly significant and full of meaning.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 09:58:42 PM »

Just as significant is the EO way. We first touch our right side and then oru elft because the heart is in the left side so it is a syumbol of Chirst entering our hearts. Both beautiful yet different traditions.
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »

Timos, I am in complete agreement with you.  Both traditions are significant, valid, and beautiful in their meaning.  I will say that Copts do not cross themselves in the Liturgy quite so much as the EO.  I have been to EO Liturgies where the sign of the Cross was made for every "Lord have mercy" in the Litanies.  In my Coptic parish, I have noticed, this isn't done.  The Sign of the Cross is only made sparingly.  I know that making the Sign is totally up to one's own discretion in this, so I tend to cross myself during the Litanies.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Tags: sign of the Cross diversity in practice Armenian Church Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: