Author Topic: revelation 9  (Read 861 times)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
revelation 9
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:41:04 PM »
When i read revelation 9, drones come to mind in our age. I can see how these drones can torment people. What do you all think? Is it drones or something else?

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • Clueless Reader
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
Re: revelation 9
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »
Something else.

I'd direct you to the following resource (to start):
http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/coffeecup/revelation_91

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:33:31 PM »
I read somewher from a theologian that the chapters with the trumpets have similar symbolism with the first chapter of Genesis but there is also a great difference between them. In Genesis God creates and in Revelation everything starts to destroy.
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
So, you read about locusts with human faces and scorpion tails, and you think, "Oh, of course, drones!" ?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »
On further reflection, the locusts clearly represent the advent of the cat helicopter:

“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
I hope Cyprian700 will soon enter this discussion and set us straight, because there's entirely too much masonic dissipation on display here, and not enough BRIGHT SORROW. 
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
I think I remember some dispensational doomsday preacher who suggested that John was transported forward in time for his vision and actually was seeing modern weaponry, and just describing it in the only way he knew how.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
Oh by the way, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it had to do with the Beatles at first.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • Clueless Reader
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »
I think I remember some dispensational doomsday preacher who suggested that John was transported forward in time for his vision and actually was seeing modern weaponry, and just describing it in the only way he knew how.

In my experience as a born-and-bred, mainline Protestant, this explanation is widely accepted (to the point that it's pretty much assumed).
In pre-drone days, we assumed this description was referring to the Cobra Gunship helicopter:

It seems every generation is subject to temporal bias when it comes to prophetic interpretation.