Author Topic: Muslim Turks Insult the Cross!  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Ikonguru

• Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner
  • Faith: Orthodox catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Greek - Thyateira
Muslim Turks Insult the Cross!
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:32:59 AM »
Apparently Muslim Turks have been making shoes and slippers with a cross in the sole. The shoe is considered unclean in Islam. This is a sign of contempt to Christianity, they want people to step on the cross !

http://remnantrocor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/muslims-make-shoes-with-cross-on-bottom.html

Turkey wants to join the EU and make London a new Mecca. We already have a Muslim Mayor!
London has fallen!
It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
Re: Muslim Turks Insult the Cross!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:28:07 AM »
Apparently Muslim Turks have been making shoes and slippers with a cross in the sole. The shoe is considered unclean in Islam. This is a sign of contempt to Christianity, they want people to step on the cross !

http://remnantrocor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/muslims-make-shoes-with-cross-on-bottom.html

Turkey wants to join the EU and make London a new Mecca. We already have a Muslim Mayor!
London has fallen!

It is really irritating me to know there are ignorant community insults something I venerate.
I venerate the cross because our Lord has trampled the death up there.
Then I learned that cross is truly something contemptible in history.
If how crazy these moron insult us, it is incomparable with how sadistic those Jews insulted our Lord at the Cross 2000 years a go.
How sadistic our Martyrs were insulted and killed because of their faith in Christ.
Well, I only can say: Lord, forgive this people because they don't know what they have done.
This is only my self opinion.
Lord, have mercy
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
Thread locked pending review
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:35:38 AM »
Topic unlock and moved to a new home where indignation may be freely expressed.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »

Expressing my indignation? Perhaps a bit. Best to stay calm.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
Genesisone - is that the Cross trampling the crescent?  If so, I like that!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »
That's extremely common in Russian churches, supposedly originating from victories over Muslim Tatars.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
Genesisone - is that the Cross trampling the crescent?  If so, I like that!

It is.  I like it, too.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Looking a little further into it, it looks like the pairing of the cross with the crescent goes back quite a ways and has nothing to do with Islam.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »
It's built to be mocked and ridiculed, that's a custom as old as Christ, if not older with some prophecies before His Incarnation alluding to that fact.  Get used to it, it's your job to.

At least the cross is of a tasteful design.  I don't think a modern anti-Christian American has that in him when he mocks things.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:03:09 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 12:10:24 PM »
Looking a little further into it, it looks like the pairing of the cross with the crescent goes back quite a ways and has nothing to do with Islam.

I just looked this up when I saw the picture.  The first thing I pulled up was the always reliable Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_cross

It says there see two varying accounts, one pre Islamic , one referring to Islam from some victory Ivan the Terrible had over Turkish forces.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:13:09 PM by William T »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 12:53:40 PM »
It's built to be mocked and ridiculed, that's a custom as old as Christ, if not older with some prophecies before His Incarnation alluding to that fact.  Get used to it, it's your job to.

At least the cross is of a tasteful design.  I don't think a modern anti-Christian American has that in him when he mocks things.

"If he's going to beat his wife, at least she's attractive."
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

I just looked this up when I saw the picture.  The first thing I pulled up was the always reliable Wikipedia:

It says there see two varying accounts, one pre Islamic , one referring to Islam from some victory Ivan the Terrible had over Turkish forces.

Crosses of this type were found centuries before Ivan. Met. Hilarion points to the fact that the crescent moon was an ancient symbol of Byzantium which the Ottomans adopted after their conquest.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »

"If he's going to beat his wife, at least she's attractive."

It might be a more appropriate analogy to say it's at least less humiliating getting beat up by the WWF's Iron Sheik rather than Marilyn Manson.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »

Crosses of this type were found centuries before Ivan. Met. Hilarion points to the fact that the crescent moon was an ancient symbol of Byzantium which the Ottomans adopted after their conquest.

I've heard that the crescent was adopted by the Turks because there was a crescent moon the day they took Constantinople...not sure why that info is in my head and how reliable that info is.

But I do know that the crescent was used throughout the Mediterranean for various symbols and decorations well before Mehmed II.  Maybe that's why there are differing accounts.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:24:24 PM by William T »

Offline vansensei

• Faith: ex-Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: n/a
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 03:29:06 PM »
If they're going to do this, then I'll gladly draw a picture of their "prophet" Muhammad being smitten by God - the actual God in Three Persons.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »
Uh oh.  We better go strap bombs to ourselves and blow them up because they insulted the cross.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
I read the moon and star is an ancient Turkic symbol, initially unrelated to Islam. Wikipedia dates it use as an Islamic symbol back to the Crusades, although on a different section it confirms the theory William T mentioned.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the actual company putting these shoes out? I can't find anything on Google.

How do you know it's a Muslim owned company and that blasphemy is the intent and not, say, the kind of vampiric heavy metal type thing that one would find in the West?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:13:05 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 09:26:44 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the actual company putting these shoes out? I can't find anything on Google.

How do you know it's a Muslim owned company and that blasphemy is the intent and not, say, the kind of vampiric heavy metal type thing that one would find in the West?

The link doesn't seem very reliable to me, but.would Americans think to put a cross on the soles of otherwise normal footwear?  I get you can find Michael Jordan silhouettes on the bottom.of tennis.shoes, but.I don't.think it would be in a marketers mind to put religious, political, "deep" symbols on the bottom of a shoe while.having an otherwise inauspicious shoe.  If Americans would do that, it would be because it was part of some evangelical religious youth trend I bet, and would have probably nothing to do with teenage angst, unless again it was part of some youth subculture trend already.  That's My 2¢ speculation.

The link gets it wrong though, that's not an Islamic specific insult, but a regional thing.  Moses took his sandels off when he saw the burning bush, it's the same concept.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:32:12 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
The link that was.sourced seems to have more weight to it:
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/78553.htm

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »

The link doesn't seem very reliable to me, but.would Americans think to put a cross on the soles of otherwise normal footwear?  I get you can find Michael Jordan silhouettes on the bottom.of tennis.shoes, but.I don't.think it would be in a marketers mind to put religious, political, "deep" symbols on the bottom of a shoe while.having an otherwise inauspicious shoe.  If Americans would do that, it would be because it was part of some evangelical religious youth trend I bet, and would have probably nothing to do with teenage angst, unless again it was part of some youth subculture trend already.  That's My 2¢ speculation.

The link gets it wrong though, that's not an Islamic specific insult, but a regional thing.  Moses took his sandels off when he saw the burning bush, it's the same concept.

Well, I don't know how it is in Turkey, but in the US people don't only think of the cross as a religious symbol. They often think of it as jewelry.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:23:31 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »
The link that was.sourced seems to have more weight to it:
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/78553.htm

It doesn't say anything about who actually makes the shoe, etc. It just mentions "photographs on the internet" and the fact that they're being sold in Greece (not even specifically if they're from Turkey!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:41:42 PM by Volnutt »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »

Well, I don't know how it is in Turkey, but in the US people don't only think of the cross as a religious symbol. They often think of it as jewelry.

To clarify:

In the USA, if you otherwise had a plain generic looking shoe, would you be surprised if you saw on the sole of the shoe any design?  Would it be more surprising if the design was of a flag, cross, zodiac sign, or something like that.  I get that those symbols would be decorative, and I wouldn't be too surprised if I saw it... I just don't think that's normative.  I'm not saying this for metaphysical reasons (i think you're right it's not looked at in that context here) I just don't see marginal generic shoe companies adding effort to put designs on the bottom of tennis shoes, and it seems like designs with symbols would be even more edit I effort.  But that isn't really my main focus, I'm sure shoes like that exist.

My main point was, if the cross was meant to be offensive in a US market, I highly doubt it would be a plain looking shoe with a couple plain "non ironic" crosses in an inconspicuous location.  That would surprise me.

Also: Kalibak? 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:34:10 PM by William T »

Offline Cyprian700

• Archangel Michael Byzantine Icon (early 14th c.)
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
If Orthodox Christians are outraged at the idea of people insulting the cross by placing it on the bottom of a shoe which will be stepped on, why do they tolerate their own hierarchs walking on the cross when they know better?   

On January 21, 2005, Archbishop Demetrios, primate of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, walked on the cross which is on the floor of the Washington National Cathedral at an ecumenical prayer meeting for the newly re-elected President Bush.   Billy Graham gave a sermon while standing on the cross. 

Here are the crosses on the floor of the Cathedral:

Here Archbishop Demetrios is standing on the cross at the ecumenical prayer meeting for Obama in January 2013:

Here is Billy Graham standing on the cross as he gave his sermon:

The casket of Ronald Reagan on the cross as well.

33rd degree Mason President Gerald Ford's casket was set on the cross:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:49:01 PM by Cyprian700 »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »
Years ago (in the '90s, if I remember correctly), there was a bit of a kerfuffle in Greece about the soles of Timberland shoes and boots being blasphemous.

Naturally, it blew over shortly afterwards.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »

Of course you are right, but hating men because of dust is more important. After all the cross shoeprint is analagous to beating a human being and must be taken as such. No ethnic offense may be forgiven.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:19:27 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »

To clarify:

In the USA, if you otherwise had a plain generic looking shoe, would you be surprised if you saw on the sole of the shoe any design?  Would it be more surprising if the design was of a flag, cross, zodiac sign, or something like that.  I get that those symbols would be decorative, and I wouldn't be too surprised if I saw it... I just don't think that's normative.  I'm not saying this for metaphysical reasons (i think you're right it's not looked at in that context here) I just don't see marginal generic shoe companies adding effort to put designs on the bottom of tennis shoes, and it seems like designs with symbols would be even more edit I effort.  But that isn't really my main focus, I'm sure shoes like that exist.

My main point was, if the cross was meant to be offensive in a US market, I highly doubt it would be a plain looking shoe with a couple plain "non ironic" crosses in an inconspicuous location.  That would surprise me.

Also: Kalibak?

Well, I think the point is what it makes your footprints look like. I agree that the outside of the shoe does look plain, but we haven't seen a really good look at it.

Ad why not? I like Kalibak lol. He's like hairy monkey-elf Thor!