Author Topic: New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:37:33 PM »
Teaser trailer.

Bryan Fuller, the man behind NBC's Hannibal and a writer on both DS9 and Voyager, is going to be showrunner alongside Alex Kurtzman.

While the presence of Kurtzman* makes it difficult for me to share Kayti Burt's hope that this will be return to something more akin to the TV series than the Abramsverse (though Kurtzman does, at least, appear to acknowledge that they need to get back to the show's roots).

Though, when I look back over the episodes that Fuller did the stories for, I find more episodes that I recall liking than not (Mortal Coil, Gravity, Bride of Chaotica, Empok Nor, Living Witness, Fury...) though I notice most of his stories were done with the help of others and of course I don't think he ever did the teleplays themselves, so it still gives me pause. Though with Hannibal, Fuller has shown himself pretty good at surpassing expectation for good or ill, so who knows?

What do you think?

*Not that I absolutely loathe the Abramsverse like wgw seems to, mind. Though, I liked the first one a lot better than I did Into Darkness and I agree that they follow the "dumb action movie mold" more than the best of the TV episodes did.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:45:00 PM by Volnutt »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
This. Is. Awesome.

The only thing that could make this more excellent is if they decided to bring back Jean Luc Picard.
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
Now delayed indefinitely I've heard? I mean, they're filming, so I assume it isn't on the cusp of being canceled...
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
I'm still waiting. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
If it's going to be an extension of the Abrams schlock then it's probably better off not getting off the ground.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »
Now delayed indefinitely I've heard? I mean, they're filming, so I assume it isn't on the cusp of being canceled...

Scheduling conflict with TWD, I hear.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
If it's going to be an extension of the Abrams schlock then it's probably better off not getting off the ground.

I enjoyed the Abrams movies.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
As far as I remember Abrams isn't involved, and it takes place in the standard/old timeline. I think it's set at a time just shortly before TOS. It's also on CBS all access or whatever it's called.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »
I saw a seemingly legit video showing a new Klingon ship design (to go with the new Klingons themselves). Meh. I am getting more and more pessimistic about this. I didn't want to believe that Fuller gave up being showrunner because the higher-ups were forcing all sorts of trash onto them, but as more details leak out that does seem to be the reality. People are using words like 'soft reboot,' and I'm not even opposed to that if done well. Roddenberry and ST writers never focused on some strict canon that had to be kept, and certain parts of Trek have long been a confused mess. But all this stuff? Ugh.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
The Universe is at stake, failure will only hasten assimilation into the Borg!
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
I saw a seemingly legit video showing a new Klingon ship design (to go with the new Klingons themselves). Meh. I am getting more and more pessimistic about this. I didn't want to believe that Fuller gave up being showrunner because the higher-ups were forcing all sorts of trash onto them, but as more details leak out that does seem to be the reality. People are using words like 'soft reboot,' and I'm not even opposed to that if done well. Roddenberry and ST writers never focused on some strict canon that had to be kept, and certain parts of Trek have long been a confused mess. But all this stuff? Ugh.

I feel the same way about how the new series appears to be going. 

I think the Trek canon became more of a thing as time progressed, and was clearly in the minds of writers after TNG.  The weight of it can be daunting, I'm sure; but anyone who wades into these waters should be aware of that.  The rumors about CBS's top-down approach to control of the new series, along with the speculation about it being a far departure from the original timeline (and even potentially different than the Abrams movies timeline) don't inspire much confidence in me.  I waded through Enterprise almost as an obligation, and found some parts to be good (and others tiring, including the finale), but if the new one comes out and is a pile of garbage, it won't get me past a second episode (if that).
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
Changing Klingons again and new Klingon ship design and who knows what else makes me wonder if the series will be worth it.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 06:41:29 PM »

I know Roddenberry was very focused on canon, as it applied to his utopian vision of the future of humankind .
I have read many books that said that his vision of the future was his guiding principle.

He was Inspired by science fiction greats such as Issac Asimov and H.G.Wells.
They both had a solid foundation of principle, along with the fantasy.
Asimov wrote the basis for Data later being accepted as a real officer in the Federation, and not just an assemblage of parts.

That was all Roddenberry .
He was inspired by Asimov canon of laws regarding robots.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 06:49:27 PM »
Changing Klingons again and new Klingon ship design and who knows what else makes me wonder if the series will be worth it.

They already tried a lot of gymnastics to bridge the gap between the Klingons of TOS and TNG in Enterprise; if they're changed again, it's a clear break with any reality that currently exists in ST (and, IMO, is a big mistake).
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »

I know Roddenberry was very focused on canon, as it applied to his utopian vision of the future of humankind .
I have read many books that said that his vision of the future was his guiding principle.

Asimov wrote the basis for Data later being accepted as a real officer in the Federation, and not just an assemblage of parts.

I think the Roddenberry thing is, tbh, a bit romanticized. For example in the original series even the most level-headed, like Spock, sometimes had a 'cowboy diplomacy' mentality, shooting first and leaving questions for later; a "western in space" would be pretty boring without some action sequences, after all. I think the "positive vision for the future" Gene supposedly had, along with goody-two-shoes schtick of TNG, has been read back into TOS to some degree. Although, by 'canon' I meant not so much large themes, but moreso details of who was where in the galaxy, when this or that happened, how entire species acted or looked, or character quirks or motivations (one I have mentioned before is how, in later TNG episodes, the idea that Data can't use contractions is made into a significant plot point... despite Data using contractions in the first season).

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 12:15:34 AM »

I think the Roddenberry thing is, tbh, a bit romanticized. For example in the original series even the most level-headed, like Spock, sometimes had a 'cowboy diplomacy' mentality, shooting first and leaving questions for later; a "western in space" would be pretty boring without some action sequences, after all. I think the "positive vision for the future" Gene supposedly had, along with goody-two-shoes schtick of TNG, has been read back into TOS to some degree. Although, by 'canon' I meant not so much large themes, but moreso details of who was where in the galaxy, when this or that happened, how entire species acted or looked, or character quirks or motivations (one I have mentioned before is how, in later TNG episodes, the idea that Data can't use contractions is made into a significant plot point... despite Data using contractions in the first season).

Let's not forget that Prime Directive. Was it EVER followed in TOS. I think the "western in space" is why I like the Original better. I like sci/fi to have action. I like TNG , but, Picard talks to much. I do think that Enterprise was a pretty good view of reality. Archer was a much more "real" Captain the best of both Kirk and Picard. It was like he had Kirk and Picard on his shoulders whispering to him what to do like the good angel bad angel motif.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:23:32 AM by Vlad »

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
I guess my preference for TNG is based on my Utopian hope of a better world, I see no future for mankind in a shooting gallery.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »