Author Topic: The Orthodox Dilemma: New Pan-Orthodox Christian Book from the House of OCP  (Read 1620 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
georgy

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Well, I purchased a copy on Kindle, because the reviews look good, and this is the sort of thing I think we need.  I very much desire unity between the EOs, OOs, Old Calendarists, Old Ritualists, and various groups of people who are on the fringes of Orthodoxy, like some conservative Old Catholics, the remnants of the EOC, and some vagante groups and continuing Anglicans, and this reunion should be a priority.  Where I may disagree with the author is I also believe unity with the Roman Catholics is achievable and essential, because if we don't get in there now while there is a window, and in turn demand the Roman Catholics get their house in order and get a grip on certain things, a repeat of our experience with the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion may occur, wherein conditions change so as to make ecumenical reconciliation a purely academic perspective.   By "get in there now," I do not of course mean establish full communion without doctrinal unity, but exploit the steadily improving relationship between the Pope and HH Kyrill, HH Tawadros II and His All Holiness Bartholomew; my hope is that our holy Patriarchs can exert a stabilizing influence on the Bishop of Rome, and help to guide him towards a state where unity with us is possible.

Bearing in mind this is the General Forum, and also the topic of this thread, if anyone includimg the OP would like a debate on that subject, please post a thread in Orthodox-Catholic relations and link us to it; I don't really want to debate it (but I will in the appropriate forum if someone feels the need), and further discussion of it would take us off-topic, but it does look like this is the one point where I feel I may not entirely agreee with the book, but I am looking forward to giving it a read and posting a review.

By the way, just as a fact, so readers know: it is extremely easy to return books on Kindle; in many cases back in the day at Borders, of blessed memory, (O, Borders, how we miss thee), I would routinely buy several books, and occasionally change my mind and return and exchange them, making sure to keep them undamaged.  I really like that Amazon lets you return ebooks for reasons of poor quality.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Timely in light of June.
Will Kindle it and thanks for your input.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Of note for Kindle users, if you have Amazon Prime, this is available for free reading under the Kindle Unlimited program.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Just paid $2 for my Kindle copy.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Of note for Kindle users, if you have Amazon Prime, this is available for free reading under the Kindle Unlimited program.

Oh, I did not know that.  I am planning on renewing Prime; I was waiting for Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle, but that offers a compelling reason to do it sooner.

That said, this book I would prefer to keep I think, whereas much of what is in Prime Unlimited is of reduced interest.  It is not as good a catalogue as what Scribd was offering, when they imposed their current inane 3 books/mo limitation.

I am about to have to renew my Safari Books Online subscription as I got involved in a new complex tech venture, which is a bit pricey, so Scribd and Kindle Unlimited are of reduced importance for me, right now.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

That said, this book I would prefer to keep I think, whereas much of what is in Prime Unlimited is of reduced interest.  It is not as good a catalogue as what Scribd was offering, when they imposed their current inane 3 books/mo limitation.

Yeah, that's becoming bothersome to me.  Thankfully I dl'd a bunch of books to my device before the limit started so I have a backlog and now have a strategy of one big non-fiction book (which I tend to read more slowly) and two fiction books (which I tend to read quickly) a month.  There's still a whole lot on there for me to read so until I exhaust that, I'll stick with it.  Hopefully they'll come out with a better program.  I'd gladly pay an extra $2/mo for unlimited books.

/threadhijack
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen