Author Topic: Constantine XI  (Read 409 times)

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
Constantine XI
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
I was reading an old thread and some folks mentioned he was an apostate. Does anyone have info on this?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Constantine XI
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
He supported the Florence union (like his brother John VIII). I'm not sure if "apostate" quite applies to someone who joins the Catholic church, but make what you will of it.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
Re: Constantine XI
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
He had his bum on the line and unifying with the Catholics seemed like a good idea at the time to get him additional troops.  I think Genoa and maybe Venice (not 100% sure) sent soldiers and ships to fight in the siege.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.