Author Topic: Having opinions...  (Read 408 times)

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
Having opinions...
« on: April 09, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
I used to shoot my gob off about anything and everything. I wore 'opinionated' like a badge and collected quite a circle of friends based on that description. I maintained a snarky blog and most of my internet acquaintances and friends I made through that blog.

But in the past couple of years I have really pulled it back and hardly ever speak my mind. Partly this is through lack of confidence for a few too dull to mention reasons, but also because I worry that when I get opinionated, people just see me and my views, and I'd prefer it if the mark I made was for God.

Which sounds good, but does make for a bit of a boring life sometimes, when I'd like to jump in but feel I have completely lost my gumption. So how do you do it, oh opinionated OC.net posters? How do you hit your stride of confident posting?
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Having opinions...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 01:12:07 AM »
I haven't. I probably never will.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »
I just post whatever strikes my fancy. I never really thought of it as a confidence issue. It doesn't really bother me is someone makes fun of something ridiculous that I might say, so with that inhibition gone, I feel free to spew my random thoughts across this corner of the interwebz.
God bless!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
Just keep in mind, everyone else has opinions too.  Opinions are like farts.  Everyone makes them and everyone elses usually stink, but someone can always remind you of a time you cleared a room with yours.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
There is nothing wrong with having opinions, and voicing them. However, you have to pick your spots.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker