Author Topic: The Pizza Effect  (Read 324 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
The Pizza Effect
« on: April 07, 2016, 11:57:38 PM »
An interesting Wikipedia article:

The pizza effect is a term used especially in religious studies and sociology for the phenomenon of elements of a nation or people's culture being transformed or at least more fully embraced elsewhere, then re-imported back to their culture of origin,[1] or the way in which a community's self-understanding is influenced by (or imposed by, or imported from) foreign sources.[2] It is named after the idea that modern pizza was developed among Italian immigrants in the United States (rather than in native Italy, where in its simpler form it was originally looked down upon), and was later exported back to Italy to be interpreted as a delicacy in Italian cuisine.

Related phrases include "hermeneutical feedback loop", "re-enculturation", and "self-orientalization". The term "pizza effect" was coined by the Hindu monk and professor of Anthropology at Syracuse University, Agehananda Bharati[2][3][4] in 1970.[5]

The article mentions that popular Western perceptions of Hinduism ended up actually exerting an influence on Hinduism itself in the modern era. I'm wondering if anything similar to this has exerted an impact on the EO or OO.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: The Pizza Effect
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:08:13 AM »
No, as far as I know, the West called EOs Pelagians and OOs Eutychians, and it never really stuck.  It is possible that our churches did become influenced by Aquinas' scholastic theology a bit though, or some Aristotelian form of Christianity, but that was a phenomenon generally because of scholastic Islam.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.