OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:40:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Writtings from the Philokalia....  (Read 1299 times) Average Rating: 0
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« on: August 14, 2005, 08:04:52 AM »

Ευλογείτε!

I am wondering if anyone that has the book Writtings from the Philokalia: on Prayer of the Heart (this one here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0571163939/102-2673558-1913752?v=glance) and would be willing to list which texts are included in that book.  I am preparing for a nig move and sadly I will be taking one or two of my books at most with me, thus I am looking for ways to consolidate multiple volumes into one. 

Thanks!
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 02:48:38 PM »

Brother Silouan,

Here is the table of contents for Writings from the Philokaiia On Prayer of the Heart
Foreword
Translater's Note
Introduction to Vol. I of 'Dobrotolubiye'

Part I
1.  Nicephorus the Solitary (from Vo. V)
2.  St. Gregory of Sinai, Texts on commandements, etc, (from Vol. V)
3.  St. Gregory of Sinai, Instructions to Hesychasts (from Vo. V)
4.  St. Simeon the New Theologian, Precepts (from Vol. V)
5.  St. Simeon the New Theologian, On Faith, Profitable Tale, Three methods of attention and prayer (Vol. V)
6.  Callistus and Ignatius of Xanthopoulos (Vol V)
7.  Callistus, Texts on Prayer (Vol. V)

Part II
1.  Hesychius of Jerusalem (from Vol. II)
2.  Philotheus of Sinai (Vol II)
3.  St. Barsanuphius and St. John (Vol II)
4.  Theoleptus, Metropolitan of Philadelphia (from Vol II)

Part III
St. Philemon the Abba (from Vol. II)

Index of Proper Names
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 02:53:31 PM »

ευχαριστώ πολύ!  That is exactly what I needed... now to decide on taking that or just one of the four volumes. 
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 03:11:19 PM »

Brother Silouan,
I wanted to recommend a book that my spiritual father (at Holy Archangels Monastery) encouraged me to read.  It is called "Wounded by Love" The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios.  (it is a new translation from the greek book written in 2003)  I have not yet  finished the book but so far it is excellent...I am suprised at how simple yet eloquent the Elder wrote.  I wish you well on your move.   God bless your journey,   Juliana  Smiley
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »

I have a great deal of respect for your Geronda and found him to still be very highly regarded and missed at Philotheou.  I was a little disapointed that he didn't come there this year for the feast of the Annunciation like he has in years past - but I guess this just means I'll have to come visit Texas someday.  I recently finished reading Κοντα στο Γεροντα ÃŽÂ ορφυριο (With Elder Porphyios is the English title, I think) and greatly loved his style of speech and writting - so simple, yet amazingly profound.  As Orthodox Christians we need simplicity and love more than anything else, and Geronda Porphyrios was trule a prophet of that.  But for books that I am taking I think I have narrowed it down to my English Prayer book, a KJV Bible and one book from the Philokalia.  I want to have at least the basic spiritual foundations that are hard to get in English while I am in Greece.  When I get the chance though I'll see if I can locate a copy of that book - reading about all of our recent saintly Elders in Greece is such a blessing. 
arjuna3110

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 06:35:05 AM »

Is there any word on when volume 5 of the Philokalia will be translated into English and published?  Thanks.
Philokalia
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat

Faith: Roman Catholic

Hail Mary Full of Grace

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »

I think the work On the Prayer of the Heart is related to the selection mentioned in The Way of a Pilgrim. If you haven't read that yet then its a good idea to do it before the Prayer of the Heart collection.

The whole 4 volumes in English are well worth reading but please do so slowly and prayerfully.

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: