Author Topic: Update!  (Read 721 times)

Offline BLHutch

Update!
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Friends,

So I've been attending regularly for about six weeks now. Yesterday I met with the priest for about 30 minutes before the pre-sanctified liturgy and expressed my desire to know what would be required of me to join. I was told to keep coming as often as I can, given my physical disability, and in the fall there will be a 10 week class offered at a larger parish in a nearby town. Once I attend that, then I can be chrismated. (I'm previously baptized.) I am happy to have a "road map" if you will to work towards. I am a bit concerned about the logistics of traveling to the course, again due to my disabilities, but I'm pretty sure I can make it work since it is just one night a week. Several of the smaller parishes use the course offered at this particular parish and so he said there will be some in the course just for information and others, like myself, who have expressed my desire to join. Given the fact that there is a lot of time between now and September, he said that he will be happy to talk to me whenever I have a question or a concern, etc, so that I'll be ready for the course.

This is a Greek parish, but when I told the priest that I studied Russian history in graduate school and speak a fair amount, he made a point to introduce me to a Russian parishoner who was also there for the liturgy. She was thrilled when I spoke Russian to her. (And she complimented my speaking ability!) He also offered to come over and bless our home as my wife and I will be on this journey together. I told him that wold be great......provided he isn't allergic to cats.

I'm considering keeping a journal of my progress as I move towards christmation as it might be something useful to someone else one day and/or it might be something I'd be interesting in reading myself once I've been accepted into the church. Nothing literary mind you, just my thoughts, impressions, questions, etc.

Best Regards,
Lee
Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Update!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
Great news!
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline BLHutch

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
One other cool thing. My marriage is my second and my wife's first. We are both baptized (me Catholic, her Presbyterian) but we did not get married in a church, though the person who performed the ceremony was an ordained minister who was a friend of the family. Anyway, the father said that once my wife and I have completed the course and are chrismated then we can have an orthodox marriage ceremony too. I think that is very nice, as does my wife. I don't know if it is a different or shorter liturgy than the one used for orthodox couples who get married, but regardless, it is something to look forward to. We've been married 8 years and I'd marry her again in a heartbeat, so this will give me a chance!

Lee

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »
Awesome news, sounds great

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
One other cool thing. My marriage is my second and my wife's first. We are both baptized (me Catholic, her Presbyterian) but we did not get married in a church, though the person who performed the ceremony was an ordained minister who was a friend of the family. Anyway, the father said that once my wife and I have completed the course and are chrismated then we can have an orthodox marriage ceremony too. I think that is very nice, as does my wife. I don't know if it is a different or shorter liturgy than the one used for orthodox couples who get married, but regardless, it is something to look forward to. We've been married 8 years and I'd marry her again in a heartbeat, so this will give me a chance!

Lee

I don't know if you will have an actual Orthodox wedding, but you're wedding will be blessed in front of the congregation.  However, practices differ from parish to parish, priest to priest. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:23:54 PM »
Great news, especially that you and your wife are travelling this path together.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »
Glory be to God! Nice you can manage to get catechesis. My fiancée and I are the guinea pigs of the cathedral for those and everyone says they would love to have had formal classes at their times of catechumenate.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline BLHutch

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »
Yes, I definitely think being able to take formal classes is a plus. I know that my wife definitely is looking forward to them since she does not come from a liturgical tradition as I do. Plus, attending with someone allows you to have a person to discuss the class with on the drive home!

Lee

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
This is wonderful news! Congratulations!
God bless!