Author Topic: An English (Noted) Orthodox Hymnal  (Read 1280 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
An English (Noted) Orthodox Hymnal
« on: March 31, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Is there anything like a noted version of the Orthodox Prayer Book of Fr. Seraphim Nassar?  Or a hymnal for example for the Byzantine Rite with the hymns and tones noted?  Or alternately, a link to some URLs of English language Orthodox sheet music would be good.  I am looking for some thing to get for my mother, who has a PhD in music composition and theory, and who collects hymnals.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: An English (Noted) Orthodox Hymnal
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »
There's the Divine Liturgy pew book published by ACROD, which has notation according to the Prostopinije tradition. Also, Saint Tikhon's Seminary Press is due to release, very soon, an English version of the Obikhod  (titled "A Common Book of Church Hymns.") A trial version was already printed and sold out- the new edition was supposed to be released in December but the site now says "Spring 2016." This book features  two-part Kievan, Znamenny, etc. settings, as are common in Russian parishes.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »
Is there anything like a noted version of the Orthodox Prayer Book of Fr. Seraphim Nassar?  Or a hymnal for example for the Byzantine Rite with the hymns and tones noted?  Or alternately, a link to some URLs of English language Orthodox sheet music would be good.  I am looking for some thing to get for my mother, who has a PhD in music composition and theory, and who collects hymnals.

The Kazan Byzantine Project largely used Nassar for the English western notation version but I don't think that is what you are asking for. If you are, I will say that the entirety of Kazan's Vespers and Orthros is now available for free download and printing from antiochian.org in the sacred music section of the website. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:04 AM »
There's the Divine Liturgy pew book published by ACROD, which has notation according to the Prostopinije tradition. Also, Saint Tikhon's Seminary Press is due to release, very soon, an English version of the Obikhod  (titled "A Common Book of Church Hymns.") A trial version was already printed and sold out- the new edition was supposed to be released in December but the site now says "Spring 2016." This book features  two-part Kievan, Znamenny, etc. settings, as are common in Russian parishes.

Oh that is so going in my library.  My mother will love that!  (the Obikhod book).

Regarding Prostopinije, I love and respect all styles of Orthodox music, but I am still trying to "get into" Prostopinije; it's not as difficult as Georgian or Ethiopian chant, but if someone can point me to a good album of it on Apple Music, I would appreciate it.  I assume its just a lousy sound system on their end, but the musical recordings from St. Gregory of Nyassa ACROD cathedral haven't won me over yet, and I can't find on Apple Music any professional albums of it.   There was that recent video of a Slovakian liturgy someone posted here, and that sounded quite nice.

I will get both books I expect.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »

The Kazan Byzantine Project largely used Nassar for the English western notation version but I don't think that is what you are asking for. If you are, I will say that the entirety of Kazan's Vespers and Orthros is now available for free download and printing from antiochian.org in the sacred music section of the website.

That is almost exactly what I was looking for; the Slavonic (Prostopinije and Obkhid) stuff is a bonus.

My mother and I feel it is time we learn to sing this stuff properly.   She collects hymnals the sa,e way I collect liturgical books; the difference is of course she is actually a published composer with a PhD whereas I am just a network engineer who loves reading prayers.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:31:16 AM »
Regarding Prostopinije, I love and respect all styles of Orthodox music, but I am still trying to "get into" Prostopinije; it's not as difficult as Georgian or Ethiopian chant, but if someone can point me to a good album of it on Apple Music, I would appreciate it.  I assume its just a lousy sound system on their end, but the musical recordings from St. Gregory of Nyassa ACROD cathedral haven't won me over yet, and I can't find on Apple Music any professional albums of it.   There was that recent video of a Slovakian liturgy someone posted here, and that sounded quite nice.

As far as I know, there are no professional recordings of Prostopinije on iTunes. It's a pretty niche chant style which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to get much respect even in its own milieu (for instance, my ACROD parish's Pascha service was done almost entirely in Russian-style choral music).

You can, however, hear professional prostopinije recordings on the Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Cantor institute website:

http://mci.archpitt.org/legacy/RecordedMusic.html

There are also recordings on the ACROD site but they are rougher around the edges (perhaps more accurately reflecting parish practice).
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline Adelphi

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »
An excellent resource for Russian style melodies and notation is

http://music.russianorthodox-stl.org
Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Prov. 23:23.

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »

That is almost exactly what I was looking for; the Slavonic (Prostopinije and Obkhid) stuff is a bonus.

My mother and I feel it is time we learn to sing this stuff properly.   She collects hymnals the sa,e way I collect liturgical books; the difference is of course she is actually a published composer with a PhD whereas I am just a network engineer who loves reading prayers.
If you want to sing Psaltiki properly, I do not recommend that you try to do so from the Kazan. Some rather questionable practices were essentially codified in the music composed by Kazan. As a stand-alone work, the project is a truly commendable effort, but if one is going to use it as a guide to learn Psaltiki, I would very much recommend against it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:01:35 PM by Cavaradossi »
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »

If you want to sing Psaltiki properly, I do not recommend that you try to do so from the Kazan. Some rather questionable practices were essentially codified in the music composed by Kazan. As a stand-alone work, the project is a truly commendable effort, but if one is going to use it as a guide to learn Psaltiki, I would very much recommend against it.
+1
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos