Author Topic: Just half of Italians say they are Catholic.  (Read 846 times)

Raylight

Just half of Italians say they are Catholic.
« on: March 30, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
"But while Italy is enjoying one of the most accessible and popular Popes ever in Francis, a new poll published in L'Unità newspaper has revealed that just half of Italians consider themselves to be Catholic.

The survey by SWG found 63 per cent in total regarded themselves as Christian. A further four per cent said they were Orthodox or Protestant, two per cent Buddhist, and a one per cent each declaring themselves to be Muslim, Jewish or Hindu. "

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/just.half.of.italians.say.they.are.catholic/82983.htm

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Re: Just half of Italians say they are Catholic.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:24:34 PM »
Fascinating, no matter what you always bring intreasting topics up Raylight. I was reading a article a while back about the downward trend of Christianity here in the states, While the mainline Protestants are in the biggest trouble regarding decline,  the article mentioned that without immigration from Latin America, the Catholic Church would be just as bad off, and pointed out how many Polish, Irish, and Italians here in the States, have fallen away from Roman Catholicism. This article just adds to that point.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:30:07 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
They could, of course, go Orthodox.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »
I don't have the statistics to back this up, but I've been to Italy any number of times from the time I studied at the American School to some extended trips, vacations, symposia, etc.  I decided to spend more time in the southern part of Italy. It's almost an entirely different culture owing to its geography and history.  But, a great number of Catholics down there in places like Calabria, Apulia, Sicily are actually Byzantine Catholics (don't know if it's a sizeable plurality or what) but I noticed that the Byz. Catholic Churches down there are really well attended, with women being the most noticeable demographic.  I would really like to see how this stat breaks down between Latin-Rite and Byz. Cath.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Charles Martel

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »
The problem is they left orthodoxy, like most of the  post VII Latin Church in Europe and embraced much of the modernist errors in the NO.

And this is the fruit of those errors.
Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.

Raylight

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
The problem is they left orthodoxy, like most of the  post VII Latin Church in Europe and embraced much of the modernist errors in the NO.

Are you saying that the current Holy Mass is wrong/heretical and therefore, invalid?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:16:36 PM by Raylight »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
The problem is they left orthodoxy, like most of the  post VII Trent Latin Church in Europe and embraced much of the modernist errors in the NO.

ftfy
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
I don't have the statistics to back this up, but I've been to Italy any number of times from the time I studied at the American School to some extended trips, vacations, symposia, etc.  I decided to spend more time in the southern part of Italy. It's almost an entirely different culture owing to its geography and history.  But, a great number of Catholics down there in places like Calabria, Apulia, Sicily are actually Byzantine Catholics (don't know if it's a sizeable plurality or what) but I noticed that the Byz. Catholic Churches down there are really well attended, with women being the most noticeable demographic.  I would really like to see how this stat breaks down between Latin-Rite and Byz. Cath.

I am not sure the size of the Byzantine Church in Southern Italy.  I would like to though.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
A few tens of thousands of Albanians and perhaps a few hundred Sicilian Greeks . I think there are still a couple of villages.  So pretty insignificant numerically and confined to Sicily mostly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:58:48 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
Brief summary of Italo Albaninian Greek Catholic Church
http://www.cnewa.org/default.aspx?ID=57&pagetypeID=9&sitecode=US&pageno=1
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.