Author Topic: Ontario priest accused of gambling away $500K for refugees.  (Read 700 times)

Raylight

Ontario priest accused of gambling away $500K for refugees.
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
"   A priest in London, Ont., is under police investigation after church officials learned that he may have gambled away more than $500,000 in funds that had been slated for the sponsorship of Iraqi refugees.

Father Amer Saka, a priest at St. Joseph Chaldean Catholic Church in London, has been suspended after telling Bishop Emanuel Shaleta that he lost all the money to gambling. "

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-priest-accused-of-gambling-away-500k-for-refugees-1.2834931

Raylight

Re: Ontario priest accused of gambling away $500K for refugees.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:39:56 PM »
This is why 71% of Canadians don't trust religious leaders.

The parish is made of Iraqi Christians, and it is a Middle Eastern parish. You would think he knows better than anyone else what Christians are going through.

Lord have mercy on the poor families that will be affected by this.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:46:44 PM by Raylight »

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »
gambling addiction is growing rapidly.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »

I suspect that 71% wouldn't trust religious leaders even if 100% of those religious leaders were myrrh-exuding, miracle-working, sinless saints. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:11 PM »

I suspect that 71% wouldn't trust religious leaders even if 100% of those religious leaders were myrrh-exuding, miracle-working, sinless saints.

I'd agree with that assessment.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »

I think 71 is too high. I trust Elder Paisios more than I trust some religious leaders, and Elder Paisios wasn't even myrrh exuding.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »
Lord have mercy, it heartbreaking enough what these communities have went through, then to have someone in authority break their trust in such a way. However we should pray for this priest, gambling is a serious addiction, as my Grandpa has had this addiction much of his life, it no joke.

However, using this incident as some secular humanist talking point as to why most Canadians distrust religious leaders is pretty much a strawman, as if there isn't atheist or other non-Christian  gambling addicts. I suspect a priest could be a saint performing miracles, left, and right, but yet most people in general, would call him a con artist due to the attitude of skeptism prevelent in modern society, taught to them in academia.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 11:24:35 PM »
Could it be the case that most people think their religious leaders are somehow more holy than human and then fall into great disappointment when they discover them to be only human like the rest of us?

Raylight

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »

You're probably right.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »
Could it be the case that most people think their religious leaders are somehow more holy than human and then fall into great disappointment when they discover them to be only human like the rest of us?

That a fair point, maybe not a majority, but a lot of people tend to view their priest as some Guru, who could do no wrong, when infact they are humans like you, and I. Then when the priests gets into trouble, it causes great sadness, and dissapointment.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:45:05 PM by seekeroftruth777 »