Author Topic: Help me, Armenians!  (Read 794 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Help me, Armenians!
« on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
I was at one of your parishes on Thursday for the rite of the washing of feet, and the parish made available in the pews an English translation of the full service by (I think this is his name, anyway) a Fr Mesrop Parsamyan.  It seems like it was made from a PDF or something and just printed at a Staples in bulk. 

Do any of you know where I could find this text, either in hard or soft copy?  I could go back and ask at the church, but I thought I'd try this first.  Reply here or by PM.  :)
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Holy See of Cilicia
Re: Help me, Armenians!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »
I have never encountered a complete English translation of any of our Holy Week Services. I have seen several commentaries in English. I am thinking of hiring someone to translate our Book of Hours and the Holy Week Book. Maybe next year...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:08:17 PM by Brigidsboy »
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
I have never encountered a complete English translation of any of our Holy Week Services. I have seen several commentaries in English. I am thinking of hiring someone to translate our Book of Hours and the Holy Week Book. Maybe next year...

Oh man, remember me in your kingdom book release party!

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
Uh... Abp. Tiran Nersoyan published translations of the Book of Hours. The St. Nersess website has translations of a bulk of the services. The Prelacy has published translations of the Peace, Rest, and Sunrise Services, too.

Holy Week has been done as well by several people. I recently saw some fantastic translations and service books done by Bp. Vahan Hovhanessian, apparently available for sale from the Diocese of the UK. They have wonderful printout-style books. There are others floating around, but they're hard to find.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel--things just need to be published and made available more consistently than they have been.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
Uh... Abp. Tiran Nersoyan published translations of the Book of Hours. The St. Nersess website has translations of a bulk of the services. The Prelacy has published translations of the Peace, Rest, and Sunrise Services, too.

Holy Week has been done as well by several people. I recently saw some fantastic translations and service books done by Bp. Vahan Hovhanessian, apparently available for sale from the Diocese of the UK. They have wonderful printout-style books. There are others floating around, but they're hard to find.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel--things just need to be published and made available more consistently than they have been.

Links?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »
I have seen Tiran Srpazan's translation which I think is out of print. My only complaint is that it isn't complete. The Prelacy Lent book omits all of the Psalms. As I mentioned I have never seen a entire Holy Week Service translated. I have asked around most of the churches in California with no result. Any links you can provide would be most welcome!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:47:10 AM by Brigidsboy »
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:48:41 AM »
You got it! 😊

Oh man, remember me in your kingdom book release party!

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 02:01:07 AM »
I have seen Tiran Srpazan's translation which I think is out of print. My only complaint is that it isn't complete. The Prelacy Lent book omits all of the Psalms. As I mentioned I have never seen a entire Holy Week Service translated. I have asked around most of the churches in California with no result. Any links you can provide would be most welcome!

If the book omits the Psalms but mentions what they are wouldn't that be enough?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:15 AM »
The Psalter used in our services is from the Classical Armenian version with wording which is quite different from standard English Bibles in some places. If one is going to translate the service books they out to be as complete as possible, psalms and scripture readings included.

If the book omits the Psalms but mentions what they are wouldn't that be enough?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »
The Psalter used in our services is from the Classical Armenian version with wording which is quite different from standard English Bibles in some places. If one is going to translate the service books they out to be as complete as possible, psalms and scripture readings included.

Roar!