Author Topic: Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of Muslim, Christian and Hindu refugees  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
More importantly he is breaking with liturgical tradition by washing feet of non-clergy. IMO speaks volumes of his attitude towards Tradition.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
More importantly he is breaking with liturgical tradition by washing feet of non-clergy. IMO speaks volumes of his attitude towards Tradition.

In fairness, Paul VI changed the rite by inserting it into Mass, instead of being a separate ceremony, and allowing the washing of the feet of lay people in the parish. The consternation for years has been over whether the feet of women could be washed. This has been widely done, even though the Latin rubric specifies viri ("adult males") and not homines ("people"). Pope Francis has recently explicitly allowed women's feet to be washed, but has made it his own habit to wash the feet of non-Christians as well.

Considered as a sign of humility and service to all, I don't have a problem with it, but in the context of a liturgical service, I do. For one, it muddies the signification of the ritual, displacing it from the context of Christ's establishment of the New Testament priesthood. All of whatever faith should be welcome to attend Mass if they wish, but it is incoherent with "true Church" claims for non-Catholics to be participants in most rituals.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to be clear, foot-washing is a sacrament for those only in the Church, any layperson (for those of us who believe there are not merely 7 sacraments).  In this case, I don't care if the people are good non-OO Christians, they wouldn't get their foot washed.

I would be interested to see if that's true.  At least in my tradition, the foot-washing is restricted to twelve males only (usually twelve priests, or four each of priests, deacons, and subdeacons, twelve deacons, etc.), but my impression of other OO traditions is that they "offer" it to everyone in the congregation.  Would a non-OO really be turned away? 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

My parish is blessed to have our bishop visiting us this year for Pascha....so, I will see the food washing first hand this year.

My understanding is that it is also reserved to definitely males, preferably clergy.

Personally, I think what the Pope is doing here is wrong.  This is not akin to loving Christ by feeding the poor, or visiting the sick.  The washing of feet is not an expression of love to the individual as much as it is an expression of their designation to the priesthood...to be shepherds to Christ's flock.

How is a Muslim woman or a Hindu going to lead a Christian flock...where are they going to lead them...to salvation or off a tall cliff?

Let's be serious....we need to stop using our Churches as a media ploy to push a political agenda...even if that agenda seems like it is spreading peace and love.

Kissing the Quran is also wrong.  How can we kiss it if we believe it to be a fabrication of a delusional individual? 

Certainly show love and caring towards the Muslim, kiss them on the cheek upon greeting (if you know them well and are of the same gender)....but, there has to be a limit.

Our political correctness is destroying us.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
The washing of feet is not an expression of love to the individual as much as it is an expression of their designation to the priesthood...to be shepherds to Christ's flock.

This interpretation is fairly common among a lot of RC's, but I'm not sure how correct it is from an Orthodox perspective.  In all the liturgical texts for the rite of the washing of the feet that I've read (Syriac, Armenian, Coptic, Byzantine), the theme is fairly consistent: the humility of the Son of God, mutual love and service, and the washing as a purification of the sins of the congregation.  There isn't really a "priestly" aspect to it in the way many RC's claim. 

Perhaps the "Novus Ordo" rite is more explicit about the "priestly" dimension, but even the pre-Vatican II rite seems to match Orthodox practice. 

This is a very recent (re?)interpretation, IMO.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches

Like I said...it is "my" personal opinion.  I have no idea about the Theology around it. 

However, Christ didn't wash the feet of His mother, or the others who were present, as there were probably servants serving the food, refilling the wine, etc.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos

Like I said...it is "my" personal opinion.  I have no idea about the Theology around it. 

However, Christ didn't wash the feet of His mother, or the others who were present, as there were probably servants serving the food, refilling the wine, etc.

I'm not criticising.  This is all fresh for me since it was just a few days ago.  :P

I'm not sure if there were others at the Last Supper besides the Twelve.  Two of them had to find a place to have the meal, prepare the food, etc.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that it was just them. 

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches

I don't really know, either.  I'm just surmising.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Well if you don't know the theologic or historic context of the act then you really can't have an informed opinion about it.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
The Latin practice started in Rome with the Pope washing the feet of 12 subdeacons after Mass and 12 paupers after dinner, no connection to the presbyterate but an example of diaconia.  If you watch the ceremony the Pope wears his stole in the manner of Deacon.  In the Coptic Church the priest washes the feet of everyone present, I believe.  It is about humility and service, which are prerequisites of the priesthood but not solely about it.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches

Well if you don't know the theologic or historic context of the act then you really can't have an informed opinion about it.

Why shouldn't I voice my personal opinion?  I don't know how an image gets transmitted to the TV screen, but, I sure can comment on what gets broadcast over it.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

I'm not criticising.  This is all fresh for me since it was just a few days ago.  :P

I'm not sure if there were others at the Last Supper besides the Twelve.  Two of them had to find a place to have the meal, prepare the food, etc.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that it was just them.
The Synoptics say the Twelve while remaining silent about the others.  John says disciples.  Since the women disciples were there for Crucifixtion I personally think it probable that they were there.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
This is a fun thread!  :D
God bless!

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

Why shouldn't I voice my personal opinion?  I don't know how an image gets transmitted to the TV screen, but, I sure can comment on what gets broadcast over it.
Because it is uniformed and makes you look foolish.  Why declare this is about the priesthood when some quick research on the topic reveals it has nothing to do with the priesthood.  It originally didn't even take place during the Mass.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant

You and your twisted idea of fun.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches

You and your twisted idea of fun.
I'm just sad that I'm a bit of a Johnny-come-lately and didn't notice it until page two.

"Your better than that, TT, pull yourself together!"

"Yes sir"
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
More than a sign of humility, the Coptic Church, presently, had taken it as a form of repentance for those whose feet are being washed.  Without washing of feet, you have no part in Christ, i.e. without a life of walking in repentance, you cannot partake of the Eucharist.  If therefore washing of the feet is a prerequisite to the Eucharist, only members of the Church should be allowed.

And yes, this is a sacrament.  We are living in the moment, in the closed chamber room, when Christ is washing our feet. 

There's a sacrament for blessing of the water, sacrament for blessing of the house, sacrament for blessing of a church and its vessels, etc.  The limit to "seven sacraments" is a very recent development.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:59:59 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
  • Faith: Muslim
sacrament
ˈsakrəm(ə)nt
noun
in the Christian Church a ceremony regarded as imparting spiritual grace

Accurate?

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
Yes, that is the generally agreed definition.

One can also argue that the whole life of a Christian is to be a living sacrament
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
More than a sign of humility, the Coptic Church, presently, had taken it as a form of repentance for those whose feet are being washed.  Without washing of feet, you have no part in Christ, i.e. without a life of walking in repentance, you cannot partake of the Eucharist.  If therefore washing of the feet is a prerequisite to the Eucharist, only members of the Church should be allowed.

And yes, this is a sacrament.  We are living in the moment, in the closed chamber room, when Christ is washing our feet. 

There's a sacrament for blessing of the water, sacrament for blessing of the house, sacrament for blessing of a church and its vessels, etc.  The limit to "seven sacraments" is a very recent development.

What is a "sacrament"?

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches

Because it is uniformed and makes you look foolish.  Why declare this is about the priesthood when some quick research on the topic reveals it has nothing to do with the priesthood.  It originally didn't even take place during the Mass.

What Mass?  Who is foolish?  I don't mind looking foolish.  Often that is how I learn...by asking foolish questions...and getting my foolish statements corrected.

If I don't ask, I will never learn.

I prefixed my statement by "my personal opinion is"....so, thank God I only foolishly represented myself and not the entire Church.  :D
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches

True, but those other sacraments can be dispensed to non-members of the Church. A priest will bless the house of a catechumen, put holy water on him/her, etc. Even marriage can be dispensed to a non-member when they are marrying a member of the Church. In this regard, I don't see the washing of feet as something that need be restricted to members of the Church.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
True, but those other sacraments can be dispensed to non-members of the Church. A priest will bless the house of a catechumen, put holy water on him/her, etc. Even marriage can be dispensed to a non-member when they are marrying a member of the Church. In this regard, I don't see the washing of feet as something that need be restricted to members of the Church.

Obviously, there is the possibility that Coptic practice differs from Antiochian-American practice.  Certainly with regard to inter-church marriages it does. 

Besides, I thought "a catechumen" was not a "non-member of the Church".  ;)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant

If the Church will marry you, and bury you, you are theirs.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos

If the Church will marry you, and bury you, you are theirs.

I agree with the latter, not necessarily with the former, but that's probably for a different thread.  :P

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches

Obviously, there is the possibility that Coptic practice differs from Antiochian-American practice.  Certainly with regard to inter-church marriages it does. 

Oh snap!

Well, we can't participate in the 7 Sacraments, so we get granted "limbo" status.  :P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:28:20 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches

What is a "sacrament"?

A church rite which imparts grace, which is a revelation and the presence of God working in a special manner, bringing us into His eternal presence, which may at times bring together past, present, and future events in one rite. 

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!

A church rite which imparts grace, which is a revelation and the presence of God working in a special manner, bringing us into His eternal presence, which may at times bring together past, present, and future events in one rite.

I always have to dissect your sentences to be able to understand them properly. I can't even reword it for my own clarity because I know you all think about your words rli carefully and to use other words changes the meaning which in terms of God, is too important.

Can you elaborate on the pink bit please?

You mean that the boundaries of time and earth become merged at that moment with spiritualness and heaven?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:18:09 AM by Poppy »

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
Let's say we celebrate Palm Sunday.  We celebrate that "Today" the Lord entered Jerusalem on a colt with great glory.

This "Today" happened about 2000 years ago, but we are in a sense transported into that moment with the people welcoming the Lord.

When Christ was baptized, we are there in the Jordan, and the water we bless we believe is the Jordan river at the time.

We also celebrate the second coming of the Lord as if it already happened even though it hasn't happened yet because the liturgical celebration transports us into the Kingdom, on the right hand of the Father, our ultimate destiny.

Christ is the eternal one who entered time.  Time therefore in Christ becomes an icon of eternity, and this icon is presented to us in the liturgy, in the sacraments.  We who are in Christ become spectators from a point of view of eternity to be with Christ in all aspects of His life, including His incarnation, birth, presentation to the Temple, baptism, temptations, transfiguration, entrance into Jerusalem, foot washing, crucifixion, resurrection, Ascension, etc and bring it into the moment we are in now.

The ultimate sacrament, the crown of sacraments, the Eucharist, is a good presentation of this eternal moment.  Christ is not just sitting with 12 apostles, but there are millions around the world sitting there in the Last Supper partaking of what Christ is giving to all of us, His own self.  And He did this for His apostles even before He gave His ultimate sacrifice as if it eternally happened.

It is a mystery that is not easily explained, but understood in devout and contemplative practice.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
Thank you

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
Jesus also broke with his own Hebrew traditions, That is why we crucified Him.

The one without sin, throw the first stone. (JN 8-7)

But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. 7But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Matthew 7:1
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

John 8:8
Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

John 8:10
Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

Romans 2:1
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
Treasury of Scripture
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“