OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:49:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cathechumenate  (Read 2557 times) Average Rating: 0
Michael

« on: August 13, 2005, 08:41:09 AM »

My spiritual father got in touch today to let me know that he wishes to receive me as a cathecumen on the 3rd Sunday in September.  I should be baptised somewhere between Theophany and Pascha next year!

I am overjoyed and, at the same time, very scared.

I ask your prayers.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 08:41:36 AM by Michael » Logged
irene

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 09:35:19 AM »

Congratulations, Michael, and I will remember you in prayer!

I am also a cathechumen, and will be chrismated not too,too long from now. (few months)  Can't wait!

'Never was received formally, but my spiritual father gave me the cathechumen title, and also, everyone introduces me as a cathechumen in the parish. (now, if i could only spell it)
Most seem to have been received formally if you go back and look at an earlier thread.   

Once again, I will remember you each day in prayer, and I'm very happy for you!

Irene

jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 10:00:54 AM »

Michael,
    Smiley God bless you.  I also will be baptised in the near future.  You will be in my prayers.      Juliana
Michael

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 10:09:55 AM »

Irene and Juliana, thank you both.

You too, are in my prayers.  This is so exciting, and, from what I am told, comparatively short a period of time.
jlerms
High Elder

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »

Michael,
  I suppose the period of being a catachumen varies.  Your spiritual father will be able to discern your readiness to be received into the Church.  If I recall properly, you were formally a RC, no?         Juliana
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »

Congrats, Michael! Hope you have a blessed church year of preparation!

Qui cantat, bis orat
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 10:57:16 AM »

Great news Michael!
"καλή δύναμη!" ("good strength to you!")

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Sir Sundae

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:19 PM »

congrats man! God be with you!

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain:

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 03:36:41 PM »

yes congratulations and Many Years! you will be in my prayers as you prepare to be received into the Church.

hmmmm...
Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »

Thanks, all.

I often feel unable to join in most of the discussions here, and I know that I have much to learn, but it's good to know that I have your support and prayers.

Many thanks.
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 07:23:59 PM »

Congratulations to Michael, Irene and Julianna and May God grant you many years.ÂÂ  Michael, I've been an Orthodox convert now for a few years, I was raised Roman Catholic, believe me, being Orthodox isn't easy at all...it's not supposed to be easy either SmileyÂÂ  Just don't give up if you find you're struggling with your spiritual life, keep praying and keep in contact with your priest and or spiritual father.ÂÂ  I'm glad to hear that there are so many being received into the Orthodox Church too. SmileyÂÂ  Oh and Michael, don't feel bad if you have problems joining in with discussions on here, just ask questions, I rarely post on here....I'm more of a lurker because I never know what to say on here and never know if I should just be quiet and let someone else say it, or if I should speak up.  I have a lot to learn as well.

praying for you, please keep me and my family in your prayers as well.

In Christ,
the sinner, Mary
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 07:25:57 PM by MaryCecilia » Logged

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 10:26:16 AM »

Juliana,

I'm sorry not to have responded to your question.  I must have missed it first time round.  No, I raised Anglican and went to my last Anglican Mass yesterday amid many tears.  I feel saddened and yet relieved at the same time, with an air of excitement about what is to come.

Thank you, as well, for your kind words, Mary.

M x
Michael

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 06:56:11 PM »

My spiritual father and I are to choose a sponsor for me tomorrow. I am told that it is usual to be a male who is settled in the Faith, but I have only really come into contact and hit it off with one chap. He's a convert from Anglicanism as well, and is a lovely man. He lives fairly locally to me and acts as cell attendant for his wife who has taken monastic vows. They no longer live as husband and wife.

They're wonderful people, and have kindly offered to drive me to church and back as they go near to my house on the way. It saves me a bus and two train journeys there and the same back again. I think I shall ask him after speaking with the good Father tomorrow.
sunny

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 04:59:33 PM »

Hi Michael,
May I ask? I am a fairly new convert, and I've never heard of the Occidental Orthodox. Would you tell me about them? Also concerning the woman who is married and has taken monastic vows? I would appreciate information about this from anyone 'in the know.' Do all Orthodox allow this under certain circumstances or is it particularly the Occidental Orthodox?
Thank you very much.
Sunny

NULL
troy

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 06:38:03 PM »

Occidental Orthodox=Western Orthodox.

I'm curious about these monastic vows taken by a non-widowed wife as well.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 10:53:16 AM »

Lord, have mercy. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Michael

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 03:43:22 PM »

Hi Michael,
May I ask? I am a fairly new convert, and I've never heard of the Occidental Orthodox. Would you tell me about them? Also concerning the woman who is married and has taken monastic vows? I would appreciate information about this from anyone 'in the know.' Do all Orthodox allow this under certain circumstances or is it particularly the Occidental Orthodox?
Thank you very much.
Sunny

Troy explained well.  As the Orient is the East, the Occident is the West.  To my knowledge, there is no specific Orthodox group known as the "Occidental Orthodox".

While I am not Western Rite, I rejoice in the restoration of the Western Rite to Orthodoxy, and I am western in culture, hence my tag.  I hope that clarifies things.

I don't know the rules surrounding the taking of monastic vows.  Is it considered inappropriate for an unwidowed married person to take monastic vows?  Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 03:44:27 PM by Michael » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 05:18:37 PM »

There are many accounts in the lives of married saints of men and women who married, then later felt the call of God on their lives to become monastics (often after they had had children who had themselves already grown up and who also decided to become monastics!).  The book Marriage as a Path to Holiness has several examples of these.

I have to say, though, that the title of the book is a bit deceiving, as abandoning the normal married life for the monastic vocation isn't really using marriage as a path to holiness, huh?

OK, so let's try not to distract this topic (or, if we do, I can split it into two): Michael, Irene and Julliana -- congratulations, and God grant y'all many years!  (Texas version of the blessing  Grin)

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Michael

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 06:24:02 AM »

Many thanks, Pedro, for the well wishes and the information.

I was told on Sunday to make sure that I come prepared with much spittle in a fortnight's time.  Something tells me that the tradition at my church is not to merely imitate the spitting action. Undecided

Smiley
Michael

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »

Well today was the day.  It was wonderful - frightening, awe-inspiring and joyous all at the same time.  A friend came with me - it was his first ever Orthodox Liturgy and rite of making a catechumen so he's buzzing on the experience at the moment.  My sponsor has recently finished his first ever icon after completing a course and I was so touched when he gave it to me.  Either by coincidence or providence, it was of the Holy Archangel Michael and so it seemed rather apt.

I'm so pleased.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 02:32:41 PM »

Many Years, Michael! That is wonderful news, about the whole day going so well! Congrats and welcome home Smiley

D

hmmmm...
Michael

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 02:50:38 PM »

Donna Rose, may God bless you!

Thank you for your well wishes.  I am still so very pleased.  I have taken a photograph of the icon and posted it to my blog.  It's a beautiful thing - it really is.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 04:08:16 PM »

That really is fantabulously beautiful. Your friend is very talented. I have a friend who may be taking the name Michael when he is received, and I have been looking for an icon for him. Yours is the most beautiful I have seen yet. I'll have to keep looking for one I like!

Qui cantat, bis orat
Michael

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 05:47:12 AM »

Oooooooo!

(Michael jumps and claps)

Someone else who uses the word "fantabulous"!  I'm so pleased.  Do you say "splendiferous" as well?

(I hope you find an icon that is fitting).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: