Author Topic: Hard year  (Read 417 times)

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
Hard year
« on: March 26, 2016, 03:40:46 AM »
Just asking for prayers. I've been having a pretty rough year. This year I turned 30, I've been trying to join a monastery since I was 25 and still no luck. Joining a monastery isn't like it use to be where you could just walk to one and join. Now-a-days you go through a lot of trials. The last one I tried joining, they wanted me to wait one whole year to prove how serious I was, after that year was over they told me to look somewhere else because they didn't have the room for another monk. That made me feel like I wasted a year. My spiritual father wants to send me to Mt Athos and I'll be honest, that scares me because I only speak English.

After that happened I fell into the deepest despondency I've ever been through. Just haven't had the greatest time, ended up in the hospital because of appendicitis, car broke down three times, lost a job, living pay check to pay check on almost minimum wage needing to live with other people because I can't afford to be on my own, don't have my own place, don't know what I am doing with my life or why getting into a monastery is taking so long. Tried dating but every time it ended badly because I told the girl I want to wait until marriage for sex and that's a red flag for them so they leave. My godfather left my church and is going to a Roman Catholic church now. And I am still banished from two parishes in my home city for no reason (it's a long story) and I can't get in contact with the bishops so I don't really have a place where I can go to Church on Sundays unless I go to an all Russian parish where I can't understand anything. Not complaining, just depressed, questioning my faith and the actions of human beings. I feel very far away from God right now and that scares me.

Thank you for you prayers.

Offline immerlein

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Orthodox Church in New Zealand
Re: Hard year
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:08:31 AM »
I am very sorry to hear of your hardships. Lord have mercy!

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:14 AM »
Lord have mercy.

PS: Don't dismiss Mount Athos because of your language. I've been to Mount Athos multiple times and there are MANY monks there that come from non-Greek speaking backgrounds and have managed to make it. The monastery of Simonos Petra especially seems to attract foreigners. Give that a try.

As long as you have the willingness to learn Greek (you are only 30), language shouldn't be much of a barrier. The physical, mental, psychological hardships on the other hand...
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline marigold

• Archon
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
Lord, have mercy on Peacemaker.

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
Lord have mercy.
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
Lord have mercy.

St. Stephen, pray for us.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »
Just asking for prayers. I've been having a pretty rough year. This year I turned 30, I've been trying to join a monastery since I was 25 and still no luck. Joining a monastery isn't like it use to be where you could just walk to one and join. Now-a-days you go through a lot of trials. The last one I tried joining, they wanted me to wait one whole year to prove how serious I was, after that year was over they told me to look somewhere else because they didn't have the room for another monk. That made me feel like I wasted a year. My spiritual father wants to send me to Mt Athos and I'll be honest, that scares me because I only speak English.

After that happened I fell into the deepest despondency I've ever been through. Just haven't had the greatest time, ended up in the hospital because of appendicitis, car broke down three times, lost a job, living pay check to pay check on almost minimum wage needing to live with other people because I can't afford to be on my own, don't have my own place, don't know what I am doing with my life or why getting into a monastery is taking so long. Tried dating but every time it ended badly because I told the girl I want to wait until marriage for sex and that's a red flag for them so they leave. My godfather left my church and is going to a Roman Catholic church now. And I am still banished from two parishes in my home city for no reason (it's a long story) and I can't get in contact with the bishops so I don't really have a place where I can go to Church on Sundays unless I go to an all Russian parish where I can't understand anything. Not complaining, just depressed, questioning my faith and the actions of human beings. I feel very far away from God right now and that scares me.

Thank you for you prayers.

Lord, have mercy!

Could that be just part of them trying you by telling you to look elsewhere?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
Kyrie elesion
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!