Author Topic: Was the sacrament of baptism also performed before Jesus' death ?  (Read 494 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
In the gospels we read Jesus baptised disciples but then it says although it was not Jesus but his disciples. Interesting it says that right after Jesus said you need to be born of water and the Spirit
Can we safely say those who had been baptised by Jesus disciples after believing in Him were born of water ? Because Jesus gave the disciples His body and blood before His death
Can we say they were born of water then but after Jesus died they were given the Holy Spirit without being baptised again at the same time others received the holy spirit which may have been before or at Pentecost
Interesting that those whom Paul found that were baptised by John the Baptist still needed to be baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus which Paul did for them
I am thinking even being baptised in Jesus name before His death is not valid unless Jesus taught them He would die because then they do not associate with His death and die with Him to rise with Him also 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:35:10 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Was the sacrament of baptism also performed before Jesus' death ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
In the gospels we read Jesus baptised disciples but then it says although it was not Jesus but his disciples. Interesting it says that right after Jesus said you need to be born of water and the Spirit
Can we safely say those who had been baptised by Jesus disciples after believing in Him were born of water ? Because Jesus gave the disciples His body and blood before His death
Can we say they were born of water then but after Jesus died they were given the Holy Spirit without being baptised again at the same time others received the holy spirit which may have been before or at Pentecost
Interesting that those whom Paul found that were baptised by John the Baptist still needed to be baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus which Paul did for them
I am thinking even being baptised in Jesus name before His death is not valid unless Jesus taught them He would die because then they do not associate with His death and die with Him to rise with Him also

Your first sentence has me baffled as I do not know where it says what you have written.
What I do know is that He did more than what is written.
I also know it is idle and speculative to think about what is NOT in The Bible, although it can be fun.
I also know what is important is to consider, ponder, pray upon what IS in The Bible.
When I care to deviate from doing that, then I know what the Holy Fathers wrote is far better than most all the other writings in the world, for I consider it proper medicine that is needed and used.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Re: Was the sacrament of baptism also performed before Jesus' death ?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:59:48 AM »

John 3:22 After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized.

John 4:1 Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples),
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:05:45 AM by mikeforjesus »