OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:55:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian Orthodox Church  (Read 1294 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: August 06, 2005, 03:56:10 AM »

Well, you've all heard of the 'British Orthodox Church', a canonical Church of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria (http://www.britishorthodox.org/); apparently there shall be an Australian Orthodox Church in the near future God-willing:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

17th Abib 1721
Sunday 24th July, 05
Our Ref: B.D.02.576.03.05
No of Pages: 3
No of Attachments: 0
Bishop's Office

Urgent Media Release in relation to the Australian Orthodox Church.
THE DIOCESE OF SYDNEY AND AFFILIATED REGIONS

A STATEMENT FROM THE DIOCESE CONCERNING OUR SERVICE TO THE AUSTRALIAN COMMUNITY AND OUR CHURCHES ABROAD

To our beloved Coptic Orthodox congregation in the Diocese of Sydney and Affiliated Regions, Singapore, Japan, the Kingdom of Thailand, Hong Kong and China;

‘Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come’ (Revelation 1:4).

As you all know my beloved that preaching is one of the main targets of the Coptic Orthodox Church. Many verses are mentioned in the Holy Bible assuring the importance of preaching through the church. The Lord Jesus Christ Himself was the Great Preacher who was revered by many.

Here, I would like to mention some important verses about preaching for all nations:

 “Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with Him” {Luke 8:1}
 “Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach” {Mark 3: 14}
 “So they went out and preached that people should repent.” {Mark 6: 12}
 “And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations.” {Mark 13: 10}
 “And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.” {Mark 16: 15}
 “And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs.” {Mark 16: 20}
 “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” {Matt. 24: 14}
 “He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” {Luke ( 9; 2}
 “…and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.” {Luke 24: 47}

In fulfillment of this great responsibility, the following has taken place:

1. I headed the Sub-Committee meeting of the Clerical Council No. 12 dated 26th May 2005 attended by all members. We decided and recommended to welcome and give more care for those who want to join the Coptic Orthodox Church, as well as for the cross-marriages between the Copts and the Australians. Yet, we decided not to have specialized meetings for them, for the following reasons:

i. We want them to get filled with the richness of the Coptic Orthodox Church, its great history and its spiritual atmosphere.
ii. The Australian community is a multicultural one in all its activities, and it does not encourage segregation. There are 200 different nationalities and languages in Australia, and they all live in peace and harmony, exchanging respect to one another.
iii. We wish to follow H.H. Pope Shenouda III’s advice, concerning the importance of the Coptic Language, the Church tunes and Its very important rites, which were mentioned in the Seminar held by His Holiness for priests in Canada and the United States. This seminar took place in “El Karma”, Boston, in August 2003, attended by myself and Father Tadros Samaan General Vicar of the Diocese, in response to an official invitation presented to us by His Holiness.

2. Sydney Priests’ Council had a meeting after celebrating the Holy Liturgy of the Feast of the Glorious Ascension on June 9th 2005. We decided to carry out our duties towards pastorship and preaching to the new members to our church, who are married to Copts in the diocese. Also to provide pastoral care to the Coptic Orthodox families in within the Asian arm of the diocese. To extend to them the treasures of the Coptic Orthodox Church founded by the great preacher St. Mark the pure apostle and martyr, and his successor H.H. Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of Alexandria and the See of St. Mark.

In a meeting with His Holiness in Cairo on June 14th 2005 in the Papal Residence, he advised us to preserve the heritage, doctrine, tradition, history, language, tunes, laws, arts, culture, ascetics and rituals of the Coptic Orthodox Church. Who also directed us that preaching should be to any nation under the umbrella of the Coptic Orthodox Church and its administrative hierarchy.

3. After I returned from Egypt for attending the Glorious Pentecost celebration, I headed the Sub-Committee meeting of the Clerical Council of Sydney Diocese No. 16 dated 30th June 2005. Attending the meeting were all the members of the Clerical Council, and we all agreed on the following points:

i. To provide extra pastoral care to those who are of mixed marriages, and those who want to join our church, also to serve them through training our youth from the 3rd and 4th generations who were born in Australia and have the same culture. This procedure will be achieved through:

a.Inducting English Liturgies on Sundays, on weekdays, and on special occasions and English spiritual meetings.
b.Inducting weekly Bible studies in English according to each church’s timetable.
c. One(*) priest or more from each church will concentrate his service for pastorship and preaching. The Coptic youth from the 3rd and 4th generations -who are receiving training- will help this priest/s.
d. Delegating the priest/s specialized for the above mentioned service to serve the youth in different regions such as St. Mary & St. John the Beloved Church in Wagga Wagga and others.

ii. Training some of the Coptic youth to learn the different languages such as Thai, Japanese and Chinese.

iii. The Clerical Council also discussed in the same meeting the issue of ordaining deacon Athanasius who is of Australian origin, living in Bribie Island in Queensland, as the first Australian priest, after his service there had achieved remarkable success. Thirty four Australians were baptized in the Coptic Orthodox Church, and there is a church in his house with the name of “The Four Incorporeal Creatures”. I visited this Church twice this year accompanied by Rev. Father Youhanna Bestawros.

My beloved children, may the lord strengthen us, so that we may honestly serve his Holy Name in the continent of Australia and Asia through the intercessions of the Virgin St Mary and all the saints and martyrs. Amen

Daniel
With the Grace of God
Bishop of Sydney and Affiliated Regions
Singapore, Thailand, Japan & Hong Kong

Source: http://www.coptic.org.au/modules/news/article.php?storyid=248

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Peace.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 04:07:43 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 05:28:05 AM »

That's excellent news, I would love to keep updated on that.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: