Author Topic: Odd Question  (Read 533 times)

Offline BLHutch

Odd Question
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
Friends,

This will be an odd question, so I apologize in advance. I've been attending Sundays (and last Saturday too) for a few weeks now. In the past, any time I've visited a church I have been descended upon by people after the service who introduce themselves, etc. Almost in an over the top way. But with this particular church, in several liturgies I've had exactly one person introduce herself to me. This is a Greek Orthodox Church and the parish is made up of a large number of converts.

Maybe it is me. I walk with a cane and though there is no outward sign of my injuries, you can tell something is wrong with me. In general, I have noticed that since I had to start using a cane after my injury, people do treat me different (and not in a good way). Almost like I have the plague or something. I'm not an overly social person myself now because of my disabilities and maybe I just give off a "leave me alone" vibe but I don't think that I do.

Is this normal for Orthodox Churches? Or are some churches just less friendly than others? I wasn't looking for a red carpet, but I kind of thought at least a few people would say hello. There is a Russian Parish about 45 minutes away from me and their services are mostly in Russian. I speak Russian and though it would be hard on me physically, I'm tempted to drive up there. But I'd rather go to the one closest to me (about 25 minutes).

My wife is accompanying me tomorrow. We'll see if that makes a difference. I'll report back on the results.

Lee
Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Odd Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »
Some are friendly, some are not.  It really depends on the people.

And it is not an odd question at all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:35:55 PM by IXOYE »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
Friends,

This will be an odd question, so I apologize in advance. I've been attending Sundays (and last Saturday too) for a few weeks now. In the past, any time I've visited a church I have been descended upon by people after the service who introduce themselves, etc. Almost in an over the top way. But with this particular church, in several liturgies I've had exactly one person introduce herself to me. This is a Greek Orthodox Church and the parish is made up of a large number of converts.

Maybe it is me. I walk with a cane and though there is no outward sign of my injuries, you can tell something is wrong with me. In general, I have noticed that since I had to start using a cane after my injury, people do treat me different (and not in a good way). Almost like I have the plague or something. I'm not an overly social person myself now because of my disabilities and maybe I just give off a "leave me alone" vibe but I don't think that I do.

Is this normal for Orthodox Churches? Or are some churches just less friendly than others? I wasn't looking for a red carpet, but I kind of thought at least a few people would say hello. There is a Russian Parish about 45 minutes away from me and their services are mostly in Russian. I speak Russian and though it would be hard on me physically, I'm tempted to drive up there. But I'd rather go to the one closest to me (about 25 minutes).

My wife is accompanying me tomorrow. We'll see if that makes a difference. I'll report back on the results.

Lee

It is hard to say.  Parishes can be as different as people, made all the more complicated by ethnicity and parish 'collective experience.'

Most of us overestimate the convincing nature of our 'public face.'  When we are in pain, people might not notice specifically what is wrong, but they invariably know something is wrong.  And, when we despise others (not your case but just another example), it really is hard to hide.

All in all, I would go as many places as you can just to get an idea of your options.  I have Russian parishioners who can't always drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to the Russian cathedral they are members of, so they come to my parish as well.  You can 'hybridize' your attendance, only going to this 'unfriendly' church when you can't make the journey to your parish-of-preference.  Just let both of the priests know what you are doing and why.

If a priest forbids such an arrangement because you are supposed to ONLY attend HIS parish, then run.  Fast.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline rosborn

• Searching for home
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 08:22:07 PM »
Where is this parish?  It sounds like the perfect one for me!

I would love a parish like that while I am getting to know it.  I am scientist and honestly prefer working by myself.  Not surprisingly, I REALLY tend towards being an introvert and REALLY shy away from social settings; so, that parish would be great for me.  I could get in, stay for Divine Liturgy, and leave to digest everything I had just seen and participated in.  After my comfort level had grown I would be more than happy to mix it up after Divine Liturgy.

I know everyone is different; so, you may just have to get used to that social setting or make that trek to attend the Russian parish.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »
Doesn't that green L.E.D. light on buildings have something do with the Internet? ...
Learn meditation.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
Doesn't that green L.E.D. light on buildings have something do with the Internet? ...

No. It did have something to do with laptop computers (independent of the internet). More recent developments in regard to the emission  wavelengths of LEDs liberated LEDs from servitude to the computer/AV mega-corporations.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying