Author Topic: Followng 2000 years old morals.  (Read 278 times)

Raylight

Followng 2000 years old morals.
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:19:19 AM »
As some members by now know, I struggle lately with a significant amount of doubt, some of them are rational, and some of them are emotional. I am trying to control the latter more than the former. For the rational will eventually lead me to something. Until yesterday, I was looking at this negatively, but today I've decided actually to look at it positively. By realizing that this is one of the rare times when I can be objective (Well, at least as much as I can). I can listen to every point of view without feeling threatened by being attached to any side. For example, today I started reading two books, one is called The Language of God by Francis S. Collins, and the other is The God Argument (The Case Against Religion and for Humanism) by A. C. Grayling. I read one chapter from the former and another chapter from the latter without feeling obliged to anything. Another example is that I still go to Bible Study on campus, and I’m still planning on attending the Mass tomorrow. I may not feel as enthusiastic as before, but this is the good thing about being part of a liturgical church, that I don’t need to rely on my feelings for me to worship. I’m just happy that I’m not attached to either side and go with whatever I’m experiencing now. And if it happens that I abandon my faith, then I will know that there are good reasons to do so, and If I don't, and actually come out of this stronger than before, then that is greater than what I had.

Many times I’ve heard religious people, especially Christians, claim that we can’t judge the Scriptures based on our 21st-century perspective. That we can’t judge the Apostle Paul for commanding slaves to obey their masters, or for women to remain silent in the church. And I agree with that argument. Therefore, I don’t have any objection. But, and here comes the yolk of my thread, why then should we follow the teachings of that time? Whether it is moral or spiritual teachings. Why should we allow the teachings of that time control our lives today?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:01:36 PM by Raylight »

Raylight

Re: Followng 2000 years old morals.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 04:40:07 AM »
Up  :)