Author Topic: BBC secretly enters Mount Athos to film  (Read 3315 times)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
BBC secretly enters Mount Athos to film
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:10:38 PM »
Holy Community of Mt. Athos: “the Holy Mountain has become a thoroughfare!”

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/91366.htm

The cause of the complaint was the shooting of a documentary by the BBC2 British TV channel.

In fact, the BBC2 film crew with their cameras and equipment sailed up to Esphigmenou – one of the Athonite monasteries – in a boat at night.

As the BBC documentary shows, anyone can secretly enter Holy Mount Athos and secretly leave it. Therefore, the relics and holy objects kept at Athonite monasteries could be exposed at any moment to danger due to the inaction of the authorities.

And now you get the Streisand effect  ::)

Has anyone seen the documentary? Google isn't helping me.
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
Re: BBC secretly enters Mount Athos to film
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:10:31 PM »
Boy... if ever there was any News thread with the potential to become a hotbed of political & polemical arguing, this has to be it...

Right before Great Lent too... RESIST THE TEMPTATION EVERYONE!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:55:09 PM »
60 Minutes entered Mt. Athos properly with permission and they were able to produce a nice piece on the Holy Mountain.  I do not know why journalists would not go through the usual channels as did 60 Minutes. 

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »
It's interesting that of all the monasteries, they picked the one which is actually supposed to be blockaded (the letter also complains about this specifically, not just about the intrusion onto the Holy Mountain in general).
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 12:19:23 AM »
Boy... if ever there was any News thread with the potential to become a hotbed of political & polemical arguing, this has to be it...

Right before Great Lent too... RESIST THE TEMPTATION EVERYONE!

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:44 AM »
Isn't Mt. Athos a Unesco heritage site? These journalist wern't invited in, they tresspassed, so my question is could there be any legal trouble resulting from this? not that I think the Monks would press charges, but I could imagine the Greek Government or the U.N?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 01:01:27 AM »
I think if the BBC violated any laws they should be held to account.  On the other hand, there aren'T enough facts available to me to evaluate this yet; were they welcomed by Esphigmenou, and is this a result of the unfortunate rift between that monastery and the others?   Or was this just the BBC seeking to sneak in for shock value as it were?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 01:07:33 AM »
I think if the BBC violated any laws they should be held to account.  On the other hand, there aren'T enough facts available to me to evaluate this yet; were they welcomed by Esphigmenou, and is this a result of the unfortunate rift between that monastery and the others?   Or was this just the BBC seeking to sneak in for shock value as it were?

You make great points, I'm embarassed to say, I'm clueless on this rift, any links to any info about the rift.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:07:01 AM »
It's interesting that of all the monasteries, they picked the one which is actually supposed to be blockaded (the letter also complains about this specifically, not just about the intrusion onto the Holy Mountain in general).

Among a few o my friends that were to Atho everyone who wanted had no  probleems with viiting Esphigmenou.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »

You make great points, I'm embarassed to say, I'm clueless on this rift, any links to any info about the rift.

To give a non-polemical, non-debate-starting summary: Esphigmenou is with the old calendarist group named 'Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece' (GOC); most of the rest of the Athonite monastics* are part of 'world Orthodoxy' and under the pastorship of the Ecumenical Patriarch. The two main disagreements have to do with which calendar to use, and various things that fall under the umbrella of ecumenism. Pat. Bartholomew considers the monks residing at Esphigmenou to be an illegal or rogue monastic community (my terms), and wants them to give up the properties they control.

*I say 'most' because, while 19 of the 20 major monasteries are under Pat. Bartholomew, besides the 20 major monasteries there are also various sketes and hermitages, and the GOC has claimed that some of the smaller groups support Esphigmenou

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »

To give a non-polemical, non-debate-starting summary: Esphigmenou is with the old calendarist group named 'Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece' (GOC); most of the rest of the Athonite monastics* are part of 'world Orthodoxy' and under the pastorship of the Ecumenical Patriarch. The two main disagreements have to do with which calendar to use, and various things that fall under the umbrella of ecumenism. Pat. Bartholomew considers the monks residing at Esphigmenou to be an illegal or rogue monastic community (my terms), and wants them to give up the properties they control.

*I say 'most' because, while 19 of the 20 major monasteries are under Pat. Bartholomew, besides the 20 major monasteries there are also various sketes and hermitages, and the GOC has claimed that some of the smaller groups support Esphigmenou

Your mindfulness of Christian News rules is appreciated!   :)
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
It is disappointing, but not surprising that these journalists failed to respect the local traditions and customs.
God bless!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
Athos being a popular tourist centre has not started with these journalists and they are hardly to blame for that.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
To give a non-polemical, non-debate-starting summary: Esphigmenou is with the old calendarist group named 'Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece' (GOC)

Is the monastery itself (i.e., brotherhood and property/assets) with the GOC?  I was under the impression that the original brotherhood that was loyal to the GOC was evicted and a new group loyal to the EP moved in.  I'd like to have correct information.  Thanks.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
To give a non-polemical, non-debate-starting summary: Esphigmenou is with the old calendarist group named 'Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece' (GOC)

Is the monastery itself (i.e., brotherhood and property/assets) with the GOC?  I was under the impression that the original brotherhood that was loyal to the GOC was evicted and a new group loyal to the EP moved in.  I'd like to have correct information.  Thanks.

I believe the monks that have been continuously living at Esphigmenou became non-commemorators and later joined the GOC.  A separate "official" Esphigmenou brotherhood lives elsewhere at Karyes.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »

I believe the monks that have been continuously living at Esphigmenou became non-commemorators and later joined the GOC.  A separate "official" Esphigmenou brotherhood lives elsewhere at Karyes.

The Holy Monastery of Esphigmenou Abroad.  ;) 

Thanks.

Offline Irish45

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
The BBC id showing lack of regard for traditional Christianity?  What a surprise...  not!  I do belive these folks are truly ignorant of how disrespectful this is.  For penace, they should give a full apology and a sizable donation to Mt Athos.  Lastly, if they disrespected another culture in this way, the PR department would announce cultural sensitivity training for the entire workforce.  Therefore I suggest the same in this case.  I am being sarcastic, but in truth, it would help.