Author Topic: Ecclesiastical Photography and American Hierarchical Camera Equipment  (Read 368 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:12:59 PM by FatherGiryus »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Re: Metropolitan Tikhon, delegation begin visit to Church of Finland
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »
http://oca.org/media/photos/oca-delegation-visits-church-of-finland

Not a single selfie. I'm disappointed.
I'm more disappointed by the quality of the pictures (and not only from this OCA's album, but, generally). I can't believe that the local Orthodox Church of one of the richest countries in the world can't afford buying better cameras or ask for/employee a photographer.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »

I'm more disappointed by the quality of the pictures (and not only from this OCA's album, but, generally). I can't believe that the local Orthodox Church of one of the richest countries in the world can't afford buying better cameras or ask for/employee a photographer.

Since the person who normally takes photos in Oulu is in one of the pictures, I'm tempted to think you need to complain to the OCA. Keep in mind, too, that lighting is often a problem when working outside studio conditions and that the photographer is trying to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »

Dominika, you'd be surprised at how really poor our Orthodox churches are here in the US.  We are a tiny minority, and many of our people are still relatively poor.  The exception is the Greek community, but the rest of the jurisdictions barely get by.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:55:16 AM »

Dominika, you'd be surprised at how really poor our Orthodox churches are here in the US.  We are a tiny minority, and many of our people are still relatively poor.  The exception is the Greek community, but the rest of the jurisdictions barely get by.

the Greeks doe  take good pictures.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »

Yeah, they could be better...but minor point.  I'm more disappointed how that Presanctified Liturgy with Hierarchs had a choir of 5 people.  The Hierarchical DL looked to have had a nice choir, but even that....didn't look like that many faithful attended (but hard to see with how the pics were taken - almost like it was deliberate to not show a lack of people).

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »
It might also matter what -day- it was..

people cannot always get off work to go to Church on a weekday.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »

But, Father, I follow various Orthodox websites from different countries and different languages. And even in USA, other jurisdictions have better pictures than USA. Serbia is rather  a poor country and if you enter not even the diocesan websites, but of some parishes, they're better. The same applies to Polish parishes (we're a minority too, and not so rich country too). But, OK, I understand that parishes can't afford that, but the official website of a local Church?...
The quality of these pictures is the same like the ones taken in parishes in Syria using smartphones (these parishes have the lowest quality of the photos, but it's totally understable).

Yeah, they could be better...but minor point.  I'm more disappointed how that Presanctified Liturgy with Hierarchs had a choir of 5 people.  The Hierarchical DL looked to have had a nice choir, but even that....didn't look like that many faithful attended (but hard to see with how the pics were taken - almost like it was deliberate to not show a lack of people).
Sometiems small choirs are better. I also remember 2-3 situation at my parish that... A bishop joined the choir consisted of 4-5 people - he's famous for his good voice, and they were weekdays services, because on Sundays the choirs is much bigger.

I also notices that in most Orthodox churches it's difficult to take a picture showing that there are a lot of people; it's because the hierarchs "occupy" almost the half of the church and lay people are in a background or on the two very sides.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »

But, Father, I follow various Orthodox websites from different countries and different languages. And even in USA, other jurisdictions have better pictures than USA. Serbia is rather  a poor country and if you enter not even the diocesan websites, but of some parishes, they're better. The same applies to Polish parishes (we're a minority too, and not so rich country too). But, OK, I understand that parishes can't afford that, but the official website of a local Church?...
The quality of these pictures is the same like the ones taken in parishes in Syria using smartphones (these parishes have the lowest quality of the photos, but it's totally understable).

I am going to hazard a wild guess here....and while this might not be the case with -these- particular pictures, I think it might well be true of many of the convert jurisdictions in the US.   

Protestants do not -take- pictures in Church, while Church is happening. 

So converts have to 'get over' the notion that its not 'rude' or interrupting or disrespectful to be taking pictures while a service is happening.

Difference in mindset
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:51:23 PM »
I don't know if that is just a convert thing. We got lectured by our bishop once for someone taking their phone out of their pocket to take pics. He felt it was disrespectful.

I love Bishop Thomas.  :D
God bless!

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »

I am going to hazard a wild guess here....and while this might not be the case with -these- particular pictures, I think it might well be true of many of the convert jurisdictions in the US.   

Protestants do not -take- pictures in Church, while Church is happening. 

So converts have to 'get over' the notion that its not 'rude' or interrupting or disrespectful to be taking pictures while a service is happening.

Difference in mindset

When I was in Istanbul, our old priest was adamantly opposed to pictures being taken, even during baptisms and weddings. The worst thing about pictures being taken was the use of flash lights (I am talking about the 1950s). Flashes also bother me today, particularly during Great Lent and Holy Week evening services. I think the solution would be to use professional equipment with large apertures. But, let me give you some price comparisons based on the Canon EOS 5DS-R body (currently about $3499)

Common lens:
EF 50mm f/1.2L USM  ($1349)
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM ($350)

Ultra-wide zoom lens:
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM ($1499)
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ($750)

Telephoto zoom lens:
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ($1999)
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM ($600)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Re: Ecclesiastical Photography and American Hierarchical Camera Equipment
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
Almost 2 weeks ago we - cerkiew.pl (the biggest Polish Orthodox website, however oraganised by volunteers) - organised workshops for Orthodox journalists. There were various topic, one of them was taking pictures in church. In Poland there are many amatours photographers, with eqpuipment that cost at least 500$, and they present their pictures on orthphoto.net, parish websites and send their pictures to fill the newseses on cerkiew.pl. So, that's the reason we gave some time for taking picutres in church during the workshops, and also that's the reason I'm still surprised by the quality of the pictures on OCA's website.

Surely, I hate such situations that half of the congregation focuses on taking the pictures instead of the service (and it happens e.g during the soliminties on Holy Mount Grabarka during the Trasnfiguration feast), but on the other hand, it's good to have some pictures from services, church events to:
1. Have a mean to come back to good moments and for the next generations
2. To present the beauty of Orthodoxy to non-Orthodox people.

As the boss of cerkiew.pl said, Orthodoxy, paradoxically, is a very modern religion, because it comes to human in multimedial way, by various senses: smell (incense), voice (chants), touching (kissing icons, crosses, blesings), taste (prosphoras) and, finally vision (icons, liturgical vestments). And (almost) all this stuff can be documented and presented by modern technologies, so including photography.

Surely, it's always good to first of all ask for the blessing a parson (rector) of the parish or another its priest to take photos, and, then not use flash, and going constatly around. There are some basic tips, and that's it.

BTW, finally, my 2000th post! :D ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Ecclesiastical Photography and American Hierarchical Camera Equipment
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
Ecclesiastical Photography and American Hierarchical Camera Equipment

Best. Title. Evar.
God bless!