OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:38:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coptic Liturgy  (Read 3868 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« on: August 08, 2005, 10:35:35 PM »

Is the Coptic liturgy closer to the Eastern Orthodox liturgy, or the Western Mass?

Also, does anyone have a link to the Coptic Liturgy?  And is the Coptic Liturgy called a Divine Liturgy, or Mass, or something else?  Thank you!

Andrew

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 12:01:36 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

The Coptic liturgy is just that, a Divine Liturgy.  It is orthodox in every sense of the word.  If you are interested, a very good site that I recommend is www.coptichymns.net.  It has a lot of resources that you can use to find out more.

Prayers please.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 12:36:35 AM »

Thanks for your reply!

Prayers for you. Smiley

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

joyisgod

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:50:27 AM »

Cephas is exactly right; the Coptic liturgy is a Divine Liturgy that is as Orthodox as it gets.

I would also recommend www.tasbeha.org if you are interested.  Under the audio tab you will be able to access a plethora of liturgies by many of our beloved priests. 

In His Name

“I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord” (Gn 18:27).
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 02:04:40 AM »

The Divine Liturgy of Saint Basil (my favorite actually, whether Byzantine or Coptic versions)...at least from what I have always heard.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »

drewmeister,

The Coptic Liturgies are, as has been stated, Orthodox Divine Liturgies, and are absolutely alien to anything western. The Liturgy primarily used is the Divine Liturgy of St Basil, however the Coptic Orthodox Church also employ the Divine Liturgies of St Gregory the Theologian, and St Cyril of Alexandria.

If you would like to listen to a good quality Coptic Liturgy that is entirely in english, I highly recommend you listen to the Coptic Divine Liturgy of St Gregory the Theologian as conducted by Fr. Bishoy Andrawes ; the recording is beautiful. You can download it from the following link: http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Divine_Liturgies/Father_Bishoy_Andrawes,_Liturgy_of_St._Gregory.html

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 09:26:30 AM »

Another high quality recorded Coptic Liturgy (in english again) is the Divine Liturgy of St Cyril performed at St Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church in Washington DC, you can also download that from tasbeha.org; here is the direct link to the download of that particular Coptic Liturgy: http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Divine_Liturgies/St._Mark_Washington_DC,_Liturgy_of_St._Cyril.html

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 09:53:21 AM »

Ya know, I was reading this thread earlier and I was thinking... "where the heck has EA been?"

I knew a topic like this would bring you out of the wood work!!! lol  Wink

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 10:22:15 AM »

Thanks for all the replies!  Those links are neat!

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 11:02:51 AM »

http://www.coptichymns.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Videos&file=index&q=f&f=%2FHoly_Liturgies%2FHoly_Liturgy_of_St_Basil_by_Fr_Anastasi_Avva_Antonious_and_Fr_Samuel_Samaan_1-17-04

^A fairly good quality quicktime movie-clip of a Coptic Liturgy performed in a mix of Coptic, English, and Arabic.

Peace.

drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 02:22:36 PM »

Cool link! Thanks Smiley

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

S_N_Bulgakov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »

Dear Drewmeister,

The Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil is nothing like the Roman Mass, and certainly not the Novus Ordo. There is a relationship between the EO Liturgy and the COC one.. but the COC Liturgy is, in some ways, more majestic because it is very much encouraged that you participate in worship and frequent Communion (not taking Communion is very odd to Copts, and rightly so, I think). There is no place for spectators in the COC Liturgy (as some EO Churches I've been to, do).

This does not mean I regard the EO Liturgy as less than the Coptic one, I merely mean to say a COC Liturgy seems more "involved" because all present in the Church participate. It is "Liturgy" - a common work. And I feel this is somewhat missing in Eastern Liturgies I frequent. The people stand there silently,.. Crossing and bowing, but not participating in the singing, in the actual work of the Liturgy. The exception perhaps was in a Greek Church where everey effort was made to make the Liturgy this "common work" and also the Liturgy I was at in St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary in NY. Those Liturgies were absolutely a "common work" of worship.

S_N_B

For scripture says, God is seated where He is known  (Pr 11 :16) ; and thus the pure nous is said to be a throne of God.

[Evagrios the Solitary, Peri Logismoi 41
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 02:16:49 AM »

I am saddened that you say this about the Ethiopian Church (EOC).

But it is based in truth.

I am Ethiopian Orthodox and I cannot explain why so many Ethiopians basically just stand in the service and do not take communion either. Then why attend service?

Yes; I have been to many Copitc services and they are very rich indeed, people respond to the liturgy and largely take communion. This is significant

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 02:25:44 AM »

Amdetsion,

I think SNB was referring to Eastern Orthodox by the abbreviation EO, and not Ethiopian Orthodox. I have never been to an Eastern Orthodox or Ethiopian Orthodox Liturgy myself, so I cannot comment.

Peace.

S_N_Bulgakov

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 02:47:06 AM »

Dear Amdetsion,

EK is right,.. EO is Eastern Orthodox not Ethiopian (I refer to them as Tewahedo Orthodox or TO). I want to participate in an TO Liturgy sometime tho,..

S_N_B

For scripture says, God is seated where He is known  (Pr 11 :16) ; and thus the pure nous is said to be a throne of God.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 04:02:46 AM »

S_N_B,

Apparently you have never been to a Carpatho-Russian parish. One definitely feels one has participated in the work of the people, at least at our parish.  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
S_N_Bulgakov

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 07:18:40 AM »

I am sad to admit that,.. Indeed I have not. I frequented Russian and Greek parishes, and I have also participated in COC Liturgies.

Is regular Communion also encouraged?

Oh,.. thx about the Avatar-comment elsewhere,.. Though Joel Kalvesmaki found it and Fr. Luke Dysinger put it on his Evagrius website (from which I merely borrowed).

S_N_B

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 11:59:29 AM »

IC XC NIKA
Amdetsion
The Lord give you His peace,
Personally, I've seen bits of the Ethiopian Liturgy on the television.  I thought it was extremely beautiful.  Well, I can't actually say if it were a Liturgy or not, but there was religious chanting from youth, as well as older men, in the Ethiopian Church.
Since I'm blessed to live near Washington D.C., my new years resolution is to make it to an Ethiopian, Armenian, Syrian, Indian, and perhaps Eritrean Divine Liturgy annually. 
in XC,
shawn 
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church liturgy online 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: