Author Topic: A thread where I show a picture and ask a lot of questions.  (Read 631 times)

Offline yas

• Faith: Orthodox
A thread where I show a picture and ask a lot of questions.
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:27:42 PM »

I am trying to learn from this forum as well as Orthodox Wiki. Haha. So my question has to do with this photo. I ask these questions because my husband asks me and I have no clue what to say...

I see that the Priest (are they priests?! I shouldn't be so sure! I'll say "man" until someone can clue me in?) have these square items coming off their belts? The man in the middle has one with an icon. What is this?

Why are they all in different colors? Does this signify anything?

Why does the man in the middle have 3 candles in one hand and 2 in the other? What do they mean?

I see different hats...and no hat? I have seen my Priest wear the black ones (do they have a name?)...is the man in the middle a Bishop? (On that note, is a Bishop first a Priest?)

Now there must be names for what they are wearing...I see a...shoulder sash? With a cross on either side of the chest? But I also see there may be a second one? (Reference: man in the middle. If you look at the bottom of his dress?? there seems to be another sash?)

Thank you for answering my random questions. If you have any other details, information, facts, etc. I would love to learn more!!

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
Re: A thread where I show a picture and ask a lot of questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
The man in the middle is a bishop. So he has an omophorion over his epitrachalion (ie two sashes). The presbyters only have the epitrachalion. The square cloth is a "shield" given as an award to presbyters at a certain level of seniority. That's the way Byzantine bishops hold candles to bless with the sign of the cross. I don't know why, so I'll let others answer the rest.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
The man in the middle is Patriarch John X of Antioch. He is holding dikirion and trikirion which are liturgical candles the bishop holds to bless the congregation. The men standing on the sides are bishops which you can tell because they are wearing omophorions which is what you referred to as a shoulder sash. The square that hangs from their sides is an epigonation. They are given to priests that have been blessed to hear confessions. All bishops wear them as well. The headgear being worn is a kalimafi (the hat) which has an attached veil called an epikalimafi. These are worn by monastics and bishops in the Antiochian (and I'm guessing all Byzantine) tradtion.

I think I answered all the questions. If I missed any let me know and I will try to get them.  :)

p.s. this is a picture at his enthronement in 2013.

p.p.s. Other traditions (i.e. Russian) have different names and different meanings for some of the vestments. For example, I believe they call the headpiece a klobuk and use white and black ones, whereas in the Antiochian Church, we only use black.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:47:22 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Thanks, Jonathan & Tri.
Saved tons of time.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »
All of the men in the picture are bishops apart from the priest on the right.

As for the "sash" at the "bottom of his dress" it's a priestly stole (epitrachelion) worn by all priests and bishops.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.