Author Topic: Prayer book enquiry  (Read 833 times)

Offline Trevorthodox

Prayer book enquiry
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
I've got a copy of the six day prayer book, Sh'himo in English and I really like it. It has such wonderful poetry.  I'm EO not OO so my question is: What do you pray on Sundays and during Lent?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: Prayer book enquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »
I've got a copy of the six day prayer book, Sh'himo in English and I really like it. It has such wonderful poetry.  I'm EO not OO so my question is: What do you pray on Sundays and during Lent?

Sundays, "Great Lent", and feasts have their own offices which are contained in a set of volumes collectively referred to as the Fanqitho.  The contents vary regionally: in India, ours has three volumes, but there are editions elsewhere containing up to seven volumes. 

We presume that people are going to church on those days and so you don't really see many people buying them (they can be expensive) and using them at home.  But some of this material is available in smaller editions appropriate for use at home (e.g., Great Lent). 

The order of the services in the Fanqitho differs a bit from what you see in your Sh'himo, but they share some common structural components which, if you are familiar with the latter, will be easy to spot.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Trevorthodox

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the useful information.  Having the right keywords made it possible to search for and find a downloadable Lenten prayer rule. It's not possible for me to get to an OO church on Sundays so I'll have to make use of some other books on that day.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
t's not possible for me to get to an OO church on Sundays so I'll have to make use of some other books on that day.

If you look at the Fanqitho published in India, after Easter, most Sundays use a Resurrectional office (of which there are several) for the rest of the liturgical year, so the proper office only really changes in terms of theme during the seasons of Annunciation (Advent), Christmas/Epiphany, and Great Lent. 

The "cheat" is to use a Resurrectional office every Sunday of the year and just switch in a few seasonal texts here and there in the appropriate places. 

A further "cheat" is not to cycle through the several Resurrectional offices that exist, but to use only one and sing it according to the tone of the day. 

I don't know what book(s) you bought, but it would be fairly easy to locate at least one Resurrectional office for use on Sundays or to suggest other solutions for your own private usage.  Let me know. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »
Does anyone (Gorgias Press, etc) have an English translation of the Fanqitho?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:39:40 PM »
Does anyone (Gorgias Press, etc) have an English translation of the Fanqitho?

The closest thing to an English translation of the Fanqitho is an adaptation produced by Kurishumala Ashram (Syro-Malankara Catholic Church) for use in their chapel but available for purchase.  But some parts are more translation than others...no one should use it thinking it's the same as what the Orthodox use.  In some cases, it is.  In others, it's an adaptation.  In still others, it's downright loopy.

Maybe the Maronites have stuff in English, but that is also going to be rather different from what is used by the Orthodox. 

Among the Orthodox, only selections of particular offices are available in English, certainly not the entire Fanqitho or even whole volumes within the series. 

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
Among the Orthodox, only selections of particular offices are available in English, certainly not the entire Fanqitho or even whole volumes within the series.

Actually even in Syriac, only portions are available in print; right ?  Some portions of the Fanqitho are still available only as manuscripts ; right?
NULL

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »

Actually even in Syriac, only portions are available in print; right ?  Some portions of the Fanqitho are still available only as manuscripts ; right?

I do not want to comment on what exists in print in Syriac outside of the Church in India because I'm not very familiar with the printed books in use among the wider Syriac Church.  But you are certainly correct re: your second question.