Author Topic: Does it matter what type of cross you have?  (Read 5749 times)

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
  • Faith: Hopefully Orthodox at some pt
  • Jurisdiction: Other
Does it matter what type of cross you have?
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »
I have never worn a cross before, and have been hesitant because of the way I was raised, so have been somewhat uncomfortable with the idea.  (I was raised that Jesus didn't die on a cross and even if he did using it the way churches do nowadays is idolatry and such.)

However, a few months ago I had softened to the idea. I figured I could buy a necklace to wear to church; I don't intend on wearing it everyday. Partly because it would freak my family out, and partly because I just do not wear jewelry often.
Anyway, I scoured the internet, and honestly, found most of the crosses just didn't appeal to me.

I stumbled across this one, and I really liked it, so bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Silver-Infinity-Pendant-Necklace/dp/B00G9RUWDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1456528547&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=Sterling+Silver+Open+Loop+Cross+Pendant+Necklace+18%22

I haven't worn it yet because I haven't been to church in a few weeks and am not ready to wear something religious anywhere else.

Here is my question though: since it isn't really a traditional cross, is it wrong to wear it or have it on my keychain? This may sound weird, but I like it because when I look at it I think not just of Jesus dying on the cross for us and what that means, but also peacefulness. And I am attracted to the shape/form of the piece. Thoughts?

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Does it matter what type of cross you have?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
I would guess one could wear it as a neck cross in lieu of a formal Orthodox style cross.  A more Orthodox style would, of course, be preferable. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
That one looks nice. I have a Celtic cross that I wear all the time. It is under my shirt so most people don't even know I wear it. It has kind of become almost like a wedding ring. I feel like something is missing when it isn't on. It looks like this.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:13:54 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:21:45 AM »
It's not my favorite style, but if it reminds you of Christ and of His salvation then by all means go ahead and wear it or keep it with you. It's not the style that's important, it's the truth of what the Cross represents.  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline OrthoDisco

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:26:38 AM »
it is my understanding that Orthodox church says all crosses are sanctified and holy. =)
I do love the st olga's style cross, but i know my husband really likes the more celtic style, which has its own history.
Im sure over the course of your lifetime you will buy another cross of another style which catches you. So if you like it, just get it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:49:53 AM by OrthoDisco »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:12:44 AM »
I used to never wear jewelry; never cared for necklaces.  Now I feel weird if I do not wear my baptismal cross.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:14:08 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:43:02 AM »
Thank you everyone!,

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 01:19:16 AM »
Thank you everyone!,

Your Cross is fine... Not traditonal but a nice piece of jewelry.

Online scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
Sherry,

Gallery Byzantium has a large assortment of crosses in different styles, sizes and prices.  You could start there.

The cross style comes down to preference.  I prefer theGreek cross myself.

And whatever cross you do select, as a matter of Orthodox Christian etiquette , you should always wear it UNDER your clothing. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:15:03 AM by scamandrius »
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »

What's Greek about it?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Sherry,

Gallery Byzantium has a large assortment of crosses in different styles, sizes and prices.  You could start there.

And whatever cross you do select, as a matter of Orthodox Christian etiquette , you should always wear it UNDER your clothing.

I agree with Scamandrius.  They make nice crosses.  I have had good experience with Gallery Byzantium.

Online scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »

What's Greek about it?

The style and the IC XC NI KA.  That help?
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »

What's Greek about it?

The style and the IC XC NI KA.  That help?

I thought the "Greek cross" is the isosceles one.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »
Oft wrong as I am frequently informed, go, wear it!
IMNSHO, take it everywhere and enjoy the fact that it has you thinking of Our Savior and Lord.

BTW, are you really a Texican?  ;D
I always believed they did their own thing and piffle for (or is it 'on?) the rest of folks.
Such would be given a healthy and honorable respect.
So go, be a real Texican and take joy in wearing it.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:05:40 PM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
I once had one made of wood by some random guy.
I went to Germany, to a russian parish, and was eager to acquire some stuff since it's so scarce here in Brazil.
I was well received by the local russians and we chatted a lot. When it came to crosses, they mentioned the fact that I needed a real orthodox cross, because "it had power". I assume that it was because it was manufactured by the orthodox and blessed by a priest, to say the least. So I got rid of mine.
I bought two crosses that day. One that I'm currently using and one I keep just in case I miss the first one - or in case it gets robbed. To guarantee I wouldn't lose mine, I got a silver necklace. That's how I use it every day, under the clothing, so most people don't even notice it.
Mine is made of some kind of poor metal, it's fine for me. I think the material out of which it's made is largely indifferent, althought I have personal restraints regarding precious metals. A serbian friend gave me one made of wood that I would gladly use as well. And as far as I'm concerned, the serbian church has some discipline regarding metal that their stuff is largely made of wood.

Just for the record, I don't think our crosses should be used to rub it in other people's faces, but we shouldn't be ashamed of using them either.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
I once had one made of wood by some random guy.
I went to Germany, to a russian parish, and was eager to acquire some stuff since it's so scarce here in Brazil.
I was well received by the local russians and we chatted a lot. When it came to crosses, they mentioned the fact that I needed a real orthodox cross, because "it had power". I assume that it was because it was manufactured by the orthodox and blessed by a priest, to say the least. So I got rid of mine.

You threw away a cross because you didn't like it?

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 06:41:13 PM »
IMNSHO, take it everywhere and enjoy the fact that it has you thinking of Our Savior and Lord.

I always believed they did their own thing and piffle for (or is it 'on?) the rest of folks.
 8)

I am actually a Yankee from New Hampshire that had to move to Texas almost 13 years ago. It's like another country, hahah.

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
Sherry,

Thank you!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

8)

I am actually a Yankee from New Hampshire that had to move to Texas almost 13 years ago. It's like another country, hahah.

Ah, so that is the delay-o.
Well, breath that Texican air, get those spurs on, say "piffle",  and do as you please...
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline BLHutch

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »

8)

I was born in the GREAT state of Louisiana but I have lived behind enemy lines here in Texas for 36 of my 37 years. People always tell me I'm not a Texan because I wasn't born here but they seem offended when I tell them I do not claim to be one.

I still wear my St. Michael's medal, by the way. I wore it the whole time I was a police officer and had it on the night the incident happened which left me partially disabled. I like to think it would have been permanently disabled if I had left it at home that night.

Lee
Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts.

Offline BLHutch

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
I will add that the incident nearly killed me. I am only alive (though injured) through the grace of God and the intercessions of St. Michael. Another interesting point is that while I was at work that night, my wife (who is Presbyterian and not sure about the whole Saint thing) felt the urge to light my St. Michael candle. Something she had never done before.

It took a long, long time for me to accept what happened. I was angry at God for several years rather than grateful for being alive. I focused on what I can't do anymore physically as opposed to what I can still do.

So that is why I wear my St. Michael medal still. I'll probably add a cross to my chain at some point and wear both.

Lee
Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 04:09:50 AM »
All crosses are Orthodox, if you think about it.  Though it's not absolutely necessary, you could probably get a priest to bless that cross for you.  If the cross reminds you of your faith and upholds you in struggle, it's good enough.  :)  It doesn't have to look like a relic from a museum or have a bunch of writing/symbolism on it, as long as it means something to you.

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
I will add that the incident nearly killed me. I am only alive (though injured) through the grace of God and the intercessions of St. Michael. Another interesting point is that while I was at work that night, my wife (who is Presbyterian and not sure about the whole Saint thing) felt the urge to light my St. Michael candle. Something she had never done before.

It took a long, long time for me to accept what happened. I was angry at God for several years rather than grateful for being alive. I focused on what I can't do anymore physically as opposed to what I can still do.

So that is why I wear my St. Michael medal still. I'll probably add a cross to my chain at some point and wear both.

Lee

That is a powerful story! So glad you survived!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
My spiritual father has told me to make sure not to wear a cross that shows one nail going through both feet because it's a heresy and I need to find one where it shows the feet side-by-side with each foot having it's own nail.

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA-Denver
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »
My spiritual father has told me to make sure not to wear a cross that shows one nail going through both feet because it's a heresy and I need to find one where it shows the feet side-by-side with each foot having it's own nail.
I could see that being traditionally erroneous, but why would it be considered heresy?

Offline immerlein

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Orthodox Church in New Zealand
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
The cross I was given at my baptism by my Godmother (who is the priest's wife) is just a plain silver one. So I hope it doesn't matter :P

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
lol!
God bless!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
I could see that being traditionally erroneous, but why would it be considered heresy?

Because it goes against what the church teaches. Keep in mind my spiritual father is a monk and very strict when it comes to cannons and teachings.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
lol!

Could do without your immature reactions

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »

A crucifix large enough for such a detail to be visible would probably weigh down your neck, let alone be very noticeable. Are you sure he wasn't meaning a hanging or standing crucifix?

Bling-wise, plain cross = problem solved.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
lol!

lol!
God bless!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »
lol!

lol!

Just goes to show you don't have respect for others and for that I feel sorry for you.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
lol!

lol!

Just goes to show you don't have respect for others and for that I feel sorry for you.
I gratefully accept your pity.
God bless!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »

A crucifix large enough for such a detail to be visible would probably weigh down your neck, let alone be very noticeable. Are you sure he wasn't meaning a hanging or standing crucifix?

Bling-wise, plain cross = problem solved.

Not really, doesn't have to be large at all

This is what I am talking about, see how both feet have 1 nail

Compared to this Orthodox cross where both feet have their own nail

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 09:23:50 PM »
That's a crucifix. Pretty, but entirely unnecessary. Wear a cross, have no problems.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
My Spiritual FatherTM told me to wear my cross at all times, even at the beach.  There were times I didn't wear it and demons of lust would attack me.  Now I, the chief of all sinners, am trying to not make my sisters in the faith fall.

Oh geez, now that I think of it, there is only one nail in the feet.  I will have to melt this down and get a more orthodox cross.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »
I shall pray for you, brother, that you get a proper cross; one that proclaims the Passion more boldly than that trinket.
God bless!

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 11:27:57 AM »
I only know 3 bars cross.
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-