Author Topic: Changes in Ireland's religious demographics  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Changes in Ireland's religious demographics
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »
Ireland’s last census, in 2011, showed a big rise in the numbers of non-Catholics. Although those identifying themselves as Catholic were still the vast majority of the 4.5m population, more than 6% – 277,000 people – described themselves as atheist, agnostic, lapsed or of “no religion”. The number was an increase of almost 50% since the previous census in 2006; the next census, due in April, is expected to show an even bigger rise.

Migration has also led to significant increases in the numbers identifying as Muslim, Orthodox, Pentecostal, Hindu and Buddhist.

Ireland’s shifting demographics, religious beliefs and social attitudes have major implications for the Catholic church and the state, which have been intertwined since Ireland was partitioned and the south won independence from Britain in 1922. The church’s unyielding views on marriage, divorce, baptism, contraception, abortion and homosexuality are increasingly being challenged or simply ignored.

More here.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Changes in Ireland's religious demographics
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
Ireland’s shifting demographics, religious beliefs and social attitudes have major implications for the Catholic church and the state, which have been intertwined since Ireland was partitioned and the south won independence from Britain in 1922.
The Vatican's Irish branch hasn't even had legal personality, let alone been intertwined with the state, since 1972.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
I'm sure they all are flocking at the feet of bishop Siluan of Rome.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
Ireland’s shifting demographics, religious beliefs and social attitudes have major implications for the Catholic church and the state, which have been intertwined since Ireland was partitioned and the south won independence from Britain in 1922.
The Vatican's Irish branch hasn't even had legal personality, let alone been intertwined with the state, since 1972.

The Catholic Church runs almost all state-funded schools. This is one area where the question of changing demographics in Ireland is becoming a serious practical issue: it's often difficult for non-Catholics to get a place in primary schools, since Catholics are given a preference in admissions.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:09:38 PM »
Pentecostal Irish? That would be something to see.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »

PP

When they do glossolalia all you hear is James Joyce excerpts.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »

PP

Maire Brennan is a Pentecostal, I think.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »

PP
Are they non-drinkers? That would be the true spectacle.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »

PP

:D
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Irish45

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 10:24:36 PM »
The greatest, and largest empire the world have ever seen -An empire where the sun never set on the Union Jack- could not get the Irish to abandon their faith.  A little social engineering from higher education and the acceleration of globalization is far more successful and in much less time.  It's sad, but it will probably be reality for most free counties that have a particular religious identity.  I sort of theorized, based on personal observation, that as only a small percentage of people actually choose to be in their religion.  What I mean by this is that in times past, there really was only one option, even for American Catholics of various ethnicities.  In American cities, various Catholic ethnic groups lived in close proximity and started to accept intermarriages.  It became more normal and accepted which led to other groups intermarrying with Catholics which lead to new choices. There was less pressure to appease the local community because you could be apart of other communities outside your ethnic group.  You lively-hood and social circle didn't depend on "taking care of our own".  Fast forward to 2016 and cities are just starting to diversify completely, eliminating cultural boundaries.  People have access to a lot of information and ultimately only small percentage choose to keep the faith.  IMO, without God's intervention, It will continue to happen to every country that is free.  I count my blessings that God opened my eyes, so many others are not so blessed.