Author Topic: Cradle Baptist, left (baptist) church in the 80s, now a Catechumen  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Redleg

• Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
My spouse and I have been passively looking for a church in our area for a couple years.  I had been very unhappy with the selection of churches of the type I grew up in in our area.  I tried an Orthodox church in my area while (really) broadening my scope and really loved the music and ceremony.  The Priest is genuinely helpful and not pushy or demanding.  He is talented at gracefully explaining doctrinal things, and I like that.  The more I learn about Orthodoxy, the happier I am with it.  I am particularly attracted to the fact that there is authority in tradition, I used to feel in my old churches that it was a sort of worshiping free for all.

While I grew up in the church, my spouse did not, and does not have the educational foundation that I did with Sunday school type teaching.  She is interested, however, but the Catechumen book we have ("The Faith") is confusing to her.  Does anyone know of a good resource for general, elementary Christian education?  I am pretty bad at explaining things, and I don't want to ruin her interest by not explaining things well.

For me, I have not run into anything I have a hard time with in Orthodoxy, the attention given to Mary is foreign to me, but the explanations of why she is revered make sense to me.  It will take me awhile to get used to it, but I can accept it.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
Re: Cradle Baptist, left (baptist) church in the 80s, now a Catechumen
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »
I suggest An Introduction to God: Encountering the Divine in Orthodox Christianity by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:49 PM »
The Orthodox Faith series by Fr. Thomas Hopko, available in print, or free online here:

https://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith

Also has she read the Gospels? If not, she should read those first. At least the first three Gospels.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:17:58 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Redleg, and glory to God that you and your spouse are on your way to finding a home in the Orthodox Church!

I would agree with the suggestions put forth so far, and would like to add The Law of God by Fr. Seraphim Slobodskoi.
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:28:16 AM »
May God bless your journey!  :)
God bless!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:51:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Redleg!

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 01:53:47 AM »
My spouse and I have been passively looking for a church in our area for a couple years.  I had been very unhappy with the selection of churches of the type I grew up in in our area.  I tried an Orthodox church in my area while (really) broadening my scope and really loved the music and ceremony.  The Priest is genuinely helpful and not pushy or demanding.  He is talented at gracefully explaining doctrinal things, and I like that.  The more I learn about Orthodoxy, the happier I am with it.  I am particularly attracted to the fact that there is authority in tradition, I used to feel in my old churches that it was a sort of worshiping free for all.

While I grew up in the church, my spouse did not, and does not have the educational foundation that I did with Sunday school type teaching.  She is interested, however, but the Catechumen book we have ("The Faith") is confusing to her.  Does anyone know of a good resource for general, elementary Christian education?  I am pretty bad at explaining things, and I don't want to ruin her interest by not explaining things well.

For me, I have not run into anything I have a hard time with in Orthodoxy, the attention given to Mary is foreign to me, but the explanations of why she is revered make sense to me.  It will take me awhile to get used to it, but I can accept it.

Welcome!  Are you 2SL Redleghunter,, by the way?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 01:53:51 AM »
A warm welcome to you, and congratulations in your faith journey.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:01:58 AM »
Hello and welcome.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:53:22 AM »
Two books I have read recently, that I would highly recommend as a starting point:

If your wife is the the analytical type, I recommend Orthodoxy and Hederodoxy by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick. This book lays out the differences between Orthodox Christianity, other Christian traditions, and other religions, in a way that helps to codify what Orthodox Christianity is all about.

If your wife has more of a feeling type of personality, I recommend Welcome to the Orthodox Church by Frederica Mathewes-Green. This is much more of a trip through the life of an Orthodox parish, explaining the theology along the way.
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
IMHO, the most basic books on Christianity and Orthodoxy are Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos (Timothy Ware). All of the other books that fellow forum members have suggested are also very good.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
I was about to say "Mere Christianity", but Carl just beat me to it.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Welcome, and may God bless your journey together!

Lots of good suggestions here, some of which I think I'll follow up on myself.  I grew up with Sunday school classes and yet never read the Gospels until I was 20.  I think starting there for your spouse is great!  Maybe you can share the catechumen book with her after that.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
I had a daughter-in-law who was raised Atheist, when she became a Christian she would not let my son  teach her about Christianity or help her, after all she did convert and she thought that she knew everything she needed to know; however on my advice he started teaching their young daughter from the book Law of God and telling Bible Stories and what do you know his wife began to learn orthodox Christianity as if she were a child, it made a remarkable  change in her attitude to him teaching her and learning the Holy Orthodox Faith.

Thomas
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:21:24 PM by Thomas »
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 11:11:58 PM »
Welcome, Redleg!

Offline Redleg

• Faith: Catechumen
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »

Redleg is a traditional name for an artilleryman.  I started as a cannonner in the 80s and have been in the artillery community since.  Saint Barbara has an annual celebration with artillery circles, so I choose her as my avatar.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
IMHO, the most basic books on Christianity and Orthodoxy are Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos (Timothy Ware). All of the other books that fellow forum members have suggested are also very good.
I think that Met. Kallistos' "The Orthodox Way" is better for a variety of reasons.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
  • Faith: Hopefully Orthodox at some pt
  • Jurisdiction: Other
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »
I think that Met. Kallistos' "The Orthodox Way" is better for a variety of reasons.

Both Mere Christianity and The Orthodox church were very helpful to me. I am currently reading The Orthodox Way, and it is an amazing book. For me, however, it is a bit difficult to get through some parts with just one read. I have to reread certain sections to feel like I am truly absorbing the information. From a newbie perspective, I would read the first two books mentioned and  then The Orthodox Way. Just my two cents. =)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 03:23:22 AM »

Redleg is a traditional name for an artilleryman.  I started as a cannonner in the 80s and have been in the artillery community since.  Saint Barbara has an annual celebration with artillery circles, so I choose her as my avatar.

My immediate thought when I saw your username.  Red socks and blues are always funny.  Thanks for your service and welcome.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »
If your wife has more of a feeling type of personality, I recommend Welcome to the Orthodox Church by Frederica Mathewes-Green. This is much more of a trip through the life of an Orthodox parish, explaining the theology along the way.

I was going to recommend this as well. It's great for very beginners, I think.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline ergro

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:01 PM »
I would suggest Frederica Matthewes-Green's "Welcome to the Orthodox Church". It takes you through a simulated parish, where you attend services and meet the community, a while explaining the meaning of everything along the way. I found it immensely helpful during my conversion.

Offline docgrass

• Faith: Evangelical Free
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
I would suggest Frederica Matthewes-Green's "Welcome to the Orthodox Church". It takes you through a simulated parish, where you attend services and meet the community, a while explaining the meaning of everything along the way. I found it immensely helpful during my conversion.

I'm halfway through this one and it is the best book I've read on Orthodoxy yet. I love her YouTube videos too!

I also have The Orthodox Way by Ware. That's good too.

Offline ergro

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
Also, The Living God is a very good catechism, firmly rooted in Scripture. If you want a more thorough and comprehensive overview, Hilarious Alfeyev"s Orthodox Christianity series is three volumes.