OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:14:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr. John Mac's "Ascending The Heights: A Layman's Guide to The Ladder"  (Read 2044 times) Average Rating: 0
orth_christian2000

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Canada

He must increase, I must decrease...

« on: August 04, 2005, 01:31:13 PM »

Hi all,

I just finished reading the above mentioned little book, and I thought it was absolutely wonderful.  If any of you can get a copy of it, it's a short read, about 170 pages, and it gives simple ideas on how we can apply St. John of Sinai's great spiritual work in our lives as lay people (non-monastics).  It's written in a fair size font, and double spaced, so it's not tiring. 

I highly recommend it, I learned a lot from it.

In Christ,
Theodore (Ted)

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 09:09:57 PM »

I have read The Ladder as well as Fr. Mack's book.  The Ladder was a bit discouraging because I am so far from being even on the first rung.  Fr. Mack's book, however, was a wonderful read because, as you indicated, he showed how even a wayward layperson like myself could begin to apply it to my life.  There were a couple of chapters which really changed me.  I know that sounds dramatic, but it is true.  I won't go into detail, but there were a few specific sins which a used to really struggle with and Fr. Mack's book really helped me to get a handle on dealing with them.  I wish he wrote more books.  I recommend Ascending the Heights wholeheartedly.

orth_christian2000

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Canada

He must increase, I must decrease...

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:28:35 AM »

Salpy,

I don't think it's being dramatic to say that this book changed you.  I've been battling plenty of the passions that St. John mentions in the Ladder, that Fr. John so aptly applies to our everyday lives, simply but profoundly.  He definitely writes as a co-struggler in the spiritual path.  I found myself almost saying "Yes!" out loud, in agreement when he would comment on the things we do, or don't do, motivations and other things. 

I tend to stay away from the actual Ladder, and deep theological writings like the Philokalia, the Evergetinos, St. Symeon the New Theologian's writings, etc.  They are a little intimidating.  But thank God that Fr. John has adapted this great work in simple terms, so that we could , at least in the most rudimentary sense, begin to apply it to our lives, and hope for the best.

Keep fighting the good fight!
In Christ,
Ted

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner
Tags: Ascending the Heights Ladder of Divine Ascent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: