Author Topic: English Translation of "Happiness Diaries"/"Jurnalul Fericirii" by Steinhardt  (Read 3574 times)

Offline KostaC

• Elder
  • Ὁ Τελευταῖος Ἔπαρχος τῶν Πραιτωρίων της Αφρικής
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Thessaloniki
Recently, I came across an article on John Sanidopoulos' blog regarding the passion-bearer Archimandrite Nicolae Steinhardt. One of his most famous works, the Diary of Happiness, seems like a work I really need in my life from what I've read about him. I have checked my two universities' libraries, as well as the D.C. and Chicago public library catalogues and Eighth Day Books, but I've found nothing. I can't even find evidence that an English translation even exists. Does anyone know where I could find and perhaps purchase a copy of this work?

Strangely enough, I find a translation in Greek, but I'd rather buy an English copy because A.) Shipping from Greece from bookstores like Ianos is really expensive and B.) I'm just more intelligent and read faster in English than Greek, lamentably so. Thanks.
«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."

Offline ma2000

• Elder
  • Saint Anthony The Great
I don't think it has been translated into English. I only found French, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian and Greek versions.
Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
Recently, I came across an article on John Sanidopoulos' blog regarding the passion-bearer Archimandrite Nicolae Steinhardt. One of his most famous works, the Diary of Happiness, seems like a work I really need in my life from what I've read about him. I have checked my two universities' libraries, as well as the D.C. and Chicago public library catalogues and Eighth Day Books, but I've found nothing. I can't even find evidence that an English translation even exists. Does anyone know where I could find and perhaps purchase a copy of this work?

Strangely enough, I find a translation in Greek, but I'd rather buy an English copy because A.) Shipping from Greece from bookstores like Ianos is really expensive and B.) I'm just more intelligent and read faster in English than Greek, lamentably so. Thanks.

I read this book in portuguese, it was translated directly from romanian by a teacher that married a romanian woman and lived in Brazil and was a student of a famous internet conservative philosophy teacher named Olavo de Carvalho. I am not aware if it was translated to english or not.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder

The portuguese version.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I read this book in portuguese, it was translated directly from romanian by a teacher that married a romanian woman and lived in Brazil and was a student of a famous internet conservative philosophy teacher named Olavo de Carvalho. I am not aware if it was translated to english or not.
Wow, I'm impressed! No idea this book existed in Portuguese. KostaC seems to know some Portuguese too, so it might be helpful for him. Who is this teacher?

One of Olavo's student was an active member of the forum, Fábio Leite. You know him from Facebook.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:54:58 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
there is more to Nicolae Steihardt’s biography than the soul edifying stories let you on. Basically he was sort of Romania’s Seraphim Rose in his pre orthodox days, of course with way more culure . And he preserved  a certain worldliness about him throughout His life , a thing missing in SR.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
Wow, I'm impressed! No idea this book existed in Portuguese. KostaC seems to know some Portuguese too, so it might be helpful for him. Who is this teacher?

One of Olavo's student was an active member of the forum, Fábio Leite. You know him from Facebook.

I'll read the preface again, there is the full story of the translation there. I found the book on estatevirtual.com, it is not allways that you can find one there, it is not a super common book, but I also saw it on Livraria Cultura in Avenida Paulista (in case you visit São Paulo). The translator's name is Elpídio Mário Dantas Fonseca.