OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:19:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 08-03-2005  (Read 6916 times) Average Rating: 0
year2027
Banned

« on: August 03, 2005, 01:48:29 AM »

God first
 O God how I love you and your loving son Jesus the Christ my Savior and Lord of my life. O how I long to know you more and more as I walk on your earth and look into your heavens.

It makes me sad when I see a lost soul that thinks they have all the keys needed for truth but they are lost to loving each other. For I know in my heart that we are sinful and far short of all ways doing your will as your son did.

I try to live my your will but my flesh is weak as the temptations come at me I fall in some of the evil traps made my the evil one but I am thankful for the ones I overcome.

In my heart I know that I am weak and that I must learn to walk by the spirit of Christ in me. For it is the spirit that can heal my body if I live by the spirit within me.

Just like water is good for my body and coke is bad for my body, truth is good for my body and sin is bad for my body. You see my body needs water and the purer the water the better as my spirit needs truth and the purer the truth the better.

I say unto you eat that which your body needs and drink that which your body needs. Now the way I learn what the body needs is by the spirit within me.

You see the body is flesh and flesh can be control by its sight, taste, smell, sound, and feel but it needs to be control by needs which most be directed by the spirit.

Things of the world like TV make foods that are bad look good but we are not to choice our food by fleshly adds or things like that but we are to choice our foods by the spirit within us.

For our heavenly father knows what our body needs from day to day. The needs of our body may change due to where we live and what we do for a living.

Another thing that may change the needs of our body is our personal health. Some foods heal one thing why others heal another.

I am not telling what to eat but to put all things under the control of the Christ in you so you have good health until you have perfect health the day when you are changed to be like Jesus the Christ which is like God the Father.

Until the day we have hope for comes walk in truth my friends

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

NULL
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 01:52:19 AM »

Papaya shakes have recently caught my attention, and one poster here included the ingredients she uses, but not the proportions.

What do y'all prefer for proportions in these shakes?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 02:04:51 AM »

Papaya shakes have recently caught my attention, and one poster here included the ingredients she uses, but not the proportions.

What do y'all prefer for proportions in these shakes?

Hmmm...that sounds yummy.  What about some mango in there too?
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:19:06 AM »

Hmmm...that sounds yummy. What about some mango in there too?

See? There are a lot of different recipes and proportions for papaya shakes and their derivatives.

What are the various ingredients used, and how much of what?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 02:19:43 AM »

Well, I'd estimate about 1.5 cups of frozen papaya, cubed, mixed with 1/2-3/4c of soymilk, with sugar to taste plus a generous squirt of honey will yield a good smoothie....Add ice if it's not frosty enough for you. Multiply for more servings.

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 02:21:21 AM »

And of course, blend til smooth, adding ice a few cubes at a time if you wish to do so...

Qui cantat, bis orat
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 02:24:01 AM »

Thanks! Now this is stuff I can use.

Out of curiosity---the soymilk used at "The Coffee Shop That Shall Not Be Named" where I work has vanilla flavoring added. Do you think this would enhance or detract from the smoothie?

Plus, let's assume you were with a crowd of people of legal age and disposition for 'adult beverages'. Would you mix anything into the smoothie, and if so, what?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:24:44 AM by chris » Logged

choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 02:34:02 AM »

Chris,

I happen to HATE the vanilla soymilk, though I love the chocolate, coffee latte, and chai versions...I personally would refrain from using vanilla soymilk as I think it has ugly aftertastes, but using 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract (per blenderful of smoothie--at least 3 servings) makes a lovely addition to any kind of fruit smoothie.

As with many blended tropical fruits, silver rum would be a welcome touch...Spiced rum can work too, but one should be aware of the taste alterations this will cause...

Qui cantat, bis orat
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 02:36:40 AM »

Thanks! Now this is stuff I can use.

Out of curiosity---the soymilk used at "The Coffee Shop That Shall Not Be Named" where I work has vanilla flavoring added. Do you think this would enhance or detract from the smoothie?

Plus, let's assume you were with a crowd of people of legal age and disposition for 'adult beverages'. Would you mix anything into the smoothie, and if so, what?

Herrell's?  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:37:15 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 02:38:02 AM »

Papaya IS OUTRAGE!

I strenuously object (Few Good Men)!

Smiley

Lord have mercy.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 02:40:48 AM »

Good ideas all! Prior to this I was only thinking of vodka, but the rum and/or Herrell's ideas appear worthy of a try.

choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 02:41:20 AM »

Ive been taking part in a discussion about soymilk, too, and I have to say that fresh, not preserved soymilk, is the way to go (kinda like comparing real milk to Parmalat.) Silk is excellent, however, my local grocery chain has begun introducing a store brand of ORGANIC FOOD !!!!! and is offering soymilk at a price comparable to cow's milk. My pocket and my conscience are resting easy with reasonably priced and good-for-the-environment food that is incredibly healthy with soy proteins and isoflavones, calcium, Vit D for absorption, folate, and other fabulous B vitamins!!!

Yay for soymilk! I actually really like the taste of plain soymilk, but if you have tried GOOD soymilk (like Silk) and still dislike it, try the chocolate--you'll never go back.

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 02:42:59 AM »

I think vodka would be too harsh of an alcohol with the sweet tropical fruit...

Vodka's great with citrus and cranberries and things, but I decided against it when considering it.

PS. I have frozen mango smoothie with (too much) rum in the freezer right now! yay!

Qui cantat, bis orat
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 02:46:53 AM »

PS. I have frozen mango smoothie with (too much) rum in the freezer right now! yay!

'too much' rum? I am uncertain how such a condition can exist.... Wink

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 07:57:39 AM »

Bananas, Bananas, Bananas.  This fruit goes anywhere. You can mix it with other fruits to thicken a shake. (SOY during a fasting period).

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 08:18:28 AM »

I just can't get into the whole fruit smoothie/milkshake thing. I've never been a big milk drinker (apart from infancy of course) and I dislike the idea of drinking something I should be eating.
The only non-alcoholic drinks I actually enjoy are Turkish coffee or elderflower cordial.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 08:19:58 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 08:32:53 AM »

Turkish coffee

ÃŽÂ οπό!  ÃŽÂ ροτιμώ Ελληνικό καφέ. 
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 08:50:15 AM »

ÃŽÂ οπό!  ÃƒÆ’ŽÂ ροτιμώ Ελληνικό καφέ.  
Πέστε την αλήθεια! Όλοι ξέρουμε ότι το κλέψαμε από τους Τούρκους! Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 09:15:58 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »

OZ

Don't use the word Turkish. It freaks some people out. As a child all I ever heard about over and over again was the 500 years of Turkish domination of eastern Europe.  So it's not Turkish coffee, it's Greek Coffee or Serbian Coffee (similar)

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 10:29:24 AM »

OZ
Don't use the word Turkish. It freaks some people out. As a child all I ever heard about over and over again was the 500 years of Turkish domination of eastern Europe.ÂÂ  So it's not Turkish coffee, it's Greek Coffee or Serbian Coffee (similar)

Brother,

I have my mother-in-law with me (for three weeks) and it is funny because she drinks "Serbian" Coffee everyday, and corrects me everytime I call it Turkish coffee. LOL  Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 10:56:28 AM »

Although I love coffee and have been called "Hellenic Man" on Holy Cross' campus, I have never developed a taste for Greek coffee (or Serbian, or Devil's {T***ish} Coffee).

I was watching a movie (was it Mediterraneo?) and some Italian soldiers were garrisoning a Greek island. One soldier was playing chess with a Greek priest while the soldier's buddy was drinking coffee and complaining about the need to get back home.

Suddenly the buddy spat the coffee out and cried," And I hate this coffee! It tastes like sand!" or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 11:25:07 AM by chris » Logged

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 11:02:15 AM »

Suddenly the buddy spat the coffee out and cried," And I hate this coffee! It tastes like sand!" or something like that.

Oh those silly Italians... didn't anyone tell him you aren't suppose to drink the grains at the bottom??

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Zoe
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 11:06:19 AM »

Of course - you're supposed to give it to an old Greek lady to read your future out of!

NI!!!!!!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 11:15:38 AM »

OZ

Don't use the word Turkish. It freaks some people out. As a child all I ever heard about over and over again was the 500 years of Turkish domination of eastern Europe.ÂÂ  So it's not Turkish coffee, it's Greek Coffee or Serbian Coffee (similar)

What I replied to Silouan above translates as:
"Tell the truth! Everyone knows we stole it from the Turks."  Cheesy  As we did with other "status symbols" like the "komboloi" (worry beads). It makes me laugh when I see Diaspora Greeks proudly displaying their worry beads as a sign of their ethnicity. The true "Greek" hot beverages are "Mountain Tea" (Tsai tou vounou), Sage Tea and Chamomile Tea (hamomilo).

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 11:40:47 AM »

What I replied to Silouan above translates as:
"Tell the truth! Everyone knows we stole it from the Turks."ÂÂ  CheesyÂÂ  As we did with other "status symbols" like the "komboloi" (worry beads). It makes me laugh when I see Diaspora Greeks proudly displaying their worry beads as a sign of their ethnicity. The true "Greek" hot beverages are "Mountain Tea" (Tsai tou vounou), Sage Tea and Chamomile Tea (hamomilo).

That is so funny.  The exact same thing could have been written by a Serb!!!  Cheesy

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 01:46:50 PM »

What about other foods like Turkish Delight or Turkish Taffy or for that matter Turksih Towels. Is it now Greek Delight, Serbian Taffy, Greek Towels

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 01:54:38 PM »

I'm with Gus Portokalos from MBFGW (only replace Greece, Greek, Grecian, Hellenic with the appropriate verision of Serb) in everything he ever said.

Hey, if it can work for others, I'm about to start a trend for *my* people.ÂÂ  Serbs invented everything!ÂÂ  Everything good, that is!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:55:16 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 02:21:57 PM »

Although I love coffee and have been called "Hellenic Man" on Holy Cross' campus, I have never developed a taste for Greek coffee (or Serbian, or Devil's {T***ish} Coffee).

Call me crazy...but are Turkish and Greek coffee exactly the same? They tasted identical to me.  I didn't want to bring this up with either the Turks or the Greeks I met.  Wink

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 02:27:16 PM »

Call me crazy...but are Turkish and Greek coffee exactly the same? They tasted identical to me.ÂÂ  I didn't want to bring this up with either the Turks or the Greeks I met.ÂÂ  Wink

Apparently, Hagia Sophia wasn't the only thing the Turks stole when they took Constantinople...

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »

Serbian Coffee tastes different to me.  Grin

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »

Well, considering there was a story in the NY Daily News last week saying Albanians had the best Burek in NYC, I guess anything is possible.

For the record... the best Burek in the land can be purchased from a Serb just outside of Detroit!  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2005, 03:52:13 PM »

Sweet, elderflower berry cordial...I have that in my fridge, too, thanks to the good swedish folks at IKEA.

I brought back some powdered coffee from France and havent yet had the nerve to stew some greek coffee...I'm saving the sludge for some day when I need enough caffeine to kill a horse...

Qui cantat, bis orat
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »

I brought back some powdered coffee from France and havent yet had the nerve to stew some greek coffee...I'm saving the sludge for some day when I need enough caffeine to kill a horse...

Hey, my mother-in-law drinks it by the gallon!  What are you trying to say??  Grin

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2005, 04:21:33 PM »

Going back to what kind of alcohol to put in a smoothie, if it's a citrus smoothie that you're making, I've found that Triple Sec doesn't taste too bad.  You can hardly taste it, what taste there is is a citrus flavour, and it doesn't have all that much alcohol in it.  It's rather nice in mango margaritas, if I do say so myself.

Also, one of my friends is supposed to make me some Serbian/Greek/****ish Coffee, but he has yet to do so.  Anybody have any place where I can find instructions?

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 04:30:02 PM »

Going back to what kind of alcohol to put in a smoothie, if it's a citrus smoothie that you're making, I've found that Triple Sec doesn't taste too bad.ÂÂ  You can hardly taste it, what taste there is is a citrus flavour, and it doesn't have all that much alcohol in it.ÂÂ  It's rather nice in mango margaritas, if I do say so myself.

Also, one of my friends is supposed to make me some Serbian/Greek/****ish Coffee, but he has yet to do so.ÂÂ  Anybody have any place where I can find instructions?

-Philip.

Philip brother,

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ First and foremost, you are *only* 19, and unless PA has been annexed by Canada, I cannot discuss alcohol with you (just a joke... I'm a Serb, my blood is two-thirds plum brandy).

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Well I made Turk *** Serbian Coffee last night and it goes as follows.  One heaping tea spoon coffee for every cup water (now remember the cups are the size of espresso cups).  I also add one tea spoon of sugar for every spoon of coffee.

Stir coffee and sugar before adding water.  Now add water (I'm assuming you have the proper pot to boil it in - I'll attach a picture).  Heat until the coffee starts to rise, like it is going to overflow.  Pour and drink.

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  I will concede that some will call this heresy (adding sugar), but I find the drink utterly unbearable without sugar.  Also be advised, as is the case with any other coffee, there really is a difference between good and bad coffee.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 04:33:33 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2005, 04:56:16 PM »

Serb,
You're using powdered coffee, right, not normal ground? When Ive had greek coffee it's been with powdered coffee...

Qui cantat, bis orat
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 05:08:37 PM »

Choir

When you by coffee fresh (beans) they will grind it for T***ish coffee.

choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 05:17:44 PM »

And this grinding "powders" the coffee...I'm not talking instant coffee, I'm talking powdered beans...right?

Qui cantat, bis orat
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 05:24:33 PM »

When you by coffee fresh (beans) they will grind it for T***ish coffee.

You mean ground more finely than whole beans are ground for normal coffee?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 05:42:33 PM »

Yea, thats what I'm asking...the beans have been ground so finely as to seem like powdered sugar or something...oui?

Qui cantat, bis orat
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 08:26:06 PM »

Choir:

Yes, ground to a powder. Ask SouthSerb, his mother in law is probably brewing a pot as I write this  Cheesy

choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 08:34:02 PM »

That's what I thought...

I have expresso cups, maybe I should brew a cup tonight (though I admit that I dont have the proper pot...)

Qui cantat, bis orat
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 09:07:41 PM »

Mother-in-law just finished (aserb was right!!!). 

Choir,

Yes finely ground into a powder.  Don't drink it too late because if your like me, you won't sleep a wink.  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2005, 12:40:49 AM »

Just FYI regarding grinding coffee---

At "The Coffee Shop That Cannot Be Named" we routinely grind coffee for our customers that purchase whole beans. Brookline, MA has a large Greek population and many people come in for the coffee grinding.

The proper grind setting is a 1, where the most coarse (say, for a percolator or French Press) would be a 9. The coffee is just a little more coarse than powdered sugar, and by far the favorite coffee blend by the yiayias for their coffee is French Roast.

Also, on the grinder the '1' setting was marked as 'T***ish'. I obliterated that marking and wrote in 'Greek'. Two days later the manager came to me and said,

"Chris, did you re-label the coffee grinder settings?..."

I guess he knew who to go to to find the culprit!

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2005, 07:06:59 AM »

Choir, Chris, SouthSerb

We should all meet for a cup or two someday. Revive the Alogonquin Round Table.
Maybe take a road trip.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: