Author Topic: Malankara Syriac Orthodox Calendar  (Read 330 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Malankara Syriac Orthodox Calendar
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »
So I was given a calendar from the Malankara Syriac Orthodox.  So I ripped off January and looked at the Saints' feasts for last month.  I was surprised to find an interesting name on January 18, "Maximus the Confessor."  Is this who I think it is, or is it a different person?  Could this have been adopted from the EO calendar?

I'll post a pic soon.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Re: Malankara Syriac Orthodox Calendar
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »
It should be on 21 January and not 18 January. 

Your question is one reason I wanted to know the origins of the calendar(s) reproduced in a particular book on this subject (I bumped that thread recently).  It's possible that this is the same Maximus as the EO saint who is commemorated on the same date, but it's also possible that it's a different saint with the same name (e.g., 5 December). 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
Hmmm...I looked at November and December.  I found nothing out of the ordinary with regards to saints (just repeats).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:31:05 PM »
Hmmm...I looked at November and December.  I found nothing out of the ordinary with regards to saints (just repeats).

I wrote before looking at your photo...it seems the calendar you have is selective in the dates featured. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).