Author Topic: Met. Hilarion on the Conversion of the "Catholic Ch. of the East" to Orthodoxy  (Read 12306 times)

Offline PJ26

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Statement from Metropolitan Hilarion regarding the Conversion of the "Catholic Church of the East" to Orthodoxy

Has anyone read anything about this?

http://eadiocese.org/News/2016/feb/mhstmnt.en.htm

The article states that the Catholic Church of the East has over 60 parishes - according to their still active website:

http://www.catholicchurchoftheeast.org

some are in the US like "Our Lady of Theotokos" in Mount Carmel, PA with others in places like the Philippines, Colombia, Pakistan, Palestine, and Nigeria

They are led by former "Archbishop" now Hieromonk Elias, a former member of the Polish National Catholic Church

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Interesting and exciting.  I have long felt the traditionalist PNCC would be an apt target for conversion to Orthodoxy.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Very interesting. One of their parishes (in Wilmington, DE) ain't too far from me.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Well this will last about two minutes until ROCOR figures out what they've gotten themselves into.  When will they learn to stop taking in vagantes.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.  The recent failure with the BOC was depressing, but you can't win them all, and hey, at least we got Fr. Peter, and that alone was worth the price of admission.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.  The recent failure with the BOC was depressing, but you can't win them all, and hey, at least we got Fr. Peter, and that alone was worth the price of admission.
I don't think anyone would categorize the EOC as vagantes.  As to the others I believe there have been far more failures than successes.  As to Fr Ramzi or is it Bishop Elias of ROCOR as he states in a recent news article:
http://timesleader.com/news/503281/st-roccos-church-in-pittston-reopens-as-st-irene-russian-orthodox-outside-church-of-russia

And if you think he really has 60 parishes I have a bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Well this will last about two minutes until ROCOR figures out what they've gotten themselves into.  When will they learn to stop taking in vagantes.

+1

The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.

So this is one group. Can you name the others?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

Vagantes gonna vagant.  Not even Pope Michael of Kansas has something like this!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

Vagantes gonna vagant.  Not even Pope Michael of Kansas has something like this!
That picture was from when he was part of the PNCC delegation to Rome.  Although other vagant bishops have weaseled their way into photo ops. 

Offline Mountain

• BANNED for rules violations, duplicate account
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
Now it is time for the Byzantine Catholics to return home.  In a carriage of salvation.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches

Most or all of ROCOR's current WR parishes are from vagante groups. Of course their WR has been notoriously messy and unstable but they're still around. I would agree in the hope that ROCOR did some serious investigation and vetting before making this decision. After the recent issues I would be surprised if they didn't. But we'll see I suppose. And yeah, 60 parishes... no.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:49:20 AM by Iconodule »
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline mike

• Protostrator

Most or all of ROCOR's current WR parishes are from vagante groups. Of course their WR has been notoriously messy and unstable but they're still around. I would agree in the hope that ROCOR did some serious investigation and vetting before making this decision. After the recent issues I would be surprised if they didn't. But we'll see I suppose. And yeah, 60 parishes... no.

ROCOR WR is not a good example how to convert smaller organisations into the Orthodox Church. It's an example how not to do it.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
Ladies and Gentlemen (and those who are still trying to figure out which they are):

Please be mindful of General Fora rules and the problem of debating here.  If you want to argue about ROCOR's practices, please open a new topic in a Moderated Forum.

Thank you for choosing OCNet!  Have a wonderful day!

(And do go outside.  Fresh air is healthy and spiritual.  It may also make you more intelligent and better looking, so give it a try!)

- Father Giryus, General Fora Moderator
(a.f.a. Fr. Mom)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:45:43 PM by FatherGiryus »
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I briefly thought this was the Catholic Church of the East, as in the Assyrian schism, so I got pretty excited. Still fortunate, though.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos

+1

The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.

The ones in Uganda and East Africa.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline mike

• Protostrator
They are led by former "Archbishop" now Hieromonk Elias, a former member of the Polish National Catholic Church

His blog says they originate from the Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church:
http://archbishopramzimusallam.blogspot.com/

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City

His blog says they originate from the Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church:
http://archbishopramzimusallam.blogspot.com/
The BCAC is an African Pagan-influenced version of the worst kind of Episcopalian modernism, I hope the Catholic Church of the East gets on their way under ROCOR.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru

You can see a recent picture of their alter in this article which announces their change to the ROCOR back in January:   http://timesleader.com/news/503281/st-roccos-church-in-pittston-reopens-as-st-irene-russian-orthodox-outside-church-of-russia 
 An early 2007 article: http://www.theprogressnews.com/default.asp?read=8873     
 A 2011 article:  http://republicanherald.com/news/arabic-church-grounds-consecrated-church-named-a-cathedral-1.1182586
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:04:11 AM by Orest »

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • OC.net guru
    • Byzantine Forum
Interesting and exciting.  I have long felt the traditionalist PNCC would be an apt target for conversion to Orthodoxy.

The PNCC isn't involved here. He was defrocked at around the time that he decided to form what was first called the Arabic Catholic Church.

Many years,

Neil
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
What is the history of this group? I can't find out much about them.
God bless!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches

ROCOR WR is not a good example how to convert smaller organisations into the Orthodox Church. It's an example how not to do it.

I was thinking (perhaps naively) that, after Bishop Jerome was so sorely chastened recently for doing this sort of thing, and the ROCOR WR was being overhauled, that ROCOR might be more careful and selective now.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
I was thinking (perhaps naively) that, after Bishop Jerome was so sorely chastened recently for doing this sort of thing, and the ROCOR WR was being overhauled, that ROCOR might be more careful and selective now.

agreed

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
I think the best (and only) thing we can do at this point is wish them well and pray for them as we would pray for other members of the Church.
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl

Offline tuesdayschild

• OC.net guru

This link leads to a 404 error page. Is someone able to post the current link?

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos

My guess, they got a clue and moved quickly to erase this embarrassment.

Offline PJ26

tuesdayschild,

The official statement that was originally posted on ROCOR's Eastern Diocese website can still be found here:

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/90417.htm

And here:

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2016/02/big-news-catholic-church-of-east-enters.html

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
So this Musallam character was ordained a deacon (having already been tonsured a hieromonk) on July 7: http://eadiocese.org/News/2015/july/myfld.en.htm

While on June 28, he was running around Nigeria saying things like:

"Is there any clear-cut difference between your church and the Roman Catholic Church?

The only difference is just for us to hand over our property to the Pope. Our faith is the same thing. We also practise the same sacrament, and though we don’t have the Pope, but we pray for him at mass. I once said to the Pope when I met him: ‘we are one with you in faith’. But in administration we are not, which means our money and properties are separate. If, for instance, you want to belong to the patriarch of Constantinople, you have to give your properties and wealth to him. Then you can be accepted. The same applies if you want to be under the Pope. The Catholic Church of the East does not reject the Holy Father. We love the Pope of Rome. We love the Roman Catholic bishops and we are Catholics because we uphold the teachings of the holy church."

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/i-am-not-here-for-the-catholics-or-to-steal-their-members-says-musallam/

Offline mike

• Protostrator

Faster than expected.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:38:46 AM by mike »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

Faster than expected.

Way faster, gah.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Tony

Does ROCOR even vet these vagante clerics and groups before accepting them or do they care more about inflating their membership?

Offline mike

• Protostrator
Does ROCOR even vet these vagante clerics and groups before accepting them or do they care more about inflating their membership?

Does ROCOR require seminary degrees from priesthood candidates for Byzantine rite at the first place?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
Presumably. The seminary has to do something.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
Presumably. The seminary has to do something.

I know they have seminary. But do pasoral regulations require candidates to have graduated it (or any other seminary)?

Offline gzt

• Skeptical Science

Does ROCOR require seminary degrees from priesthood candidates for Byzantine rite at the first place?
The short answer is, "No."

Offline mike

• Protostrator

qed

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: La Virgin de Cobre

Don't they have some kind of credentialing program that with a study component through the Chicago school, though?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
My opinion for what its worth, that ROCOR is not alone in the Eastern Orthodox world in not properly vetting, reeducating and adequately transitioning clergy from other Christian denominations into an Orthodox pastoral position. This is a problem that ought to be on the agenda of the Assembly of Bishops along with the many other issues already in the pot.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
My opinion for what its worth, that ROCOR is not alone in the Eastern Orthodox world in not properly vetting, reeducating and adequately transitioning clergy from other Christian denominations into an Orthodox pastoral position. This is a problem that ought to be on the agenda of the Assembly of Bishops along with the many other issues already in the pot.

We had such problem with a former metropolitan who was a little too open in that matter, having accepted a pre-Milan Synod structures in Spain, Portugal, and Brasil as well as one Greek-Catholic monastery. Most of them are already in schism/suspension/laicisation/pick more than one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:49:34 PM by mike »

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
Don't they have some kind of credentialing program that with a study component through the Chicago school, though?

Yes, they do: http://www.orthodoxtheologicalschool.org/

However, there are those that are ordained without even that.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
To be fair I would just say that the OCA has had many problems with clerics and all the ones that come to my mind did attend Orthodox seminaries. So obviously education doesn't equate to someone being honest or sane. I wish I knew of a way that we could effectively vet clerics.
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
To be fair I would just say that the OCA has had many problems with clerics and all the ones that come to my mind did attend Orthodox seminaries. So obviously education doesn't equate to someone being honest or sane. I wish I knew of a way that we could effectively vet clerics.

Have to agree.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches

Yes, they do: http://www.orthodoxtheologicalschool.org/

However, there are those that are ordained without even that.

In my opinion, this is an acceptable use of episcopal prerogative on the part of ROCOR; bishops should  have this right.  I like seminaries, but the idea they are absolutely necessary in all cases, is I think a Roman Catholic counter reformation idea; there are also records of several poorly educated Orthodox priests of remarkable holiness. 

I don't think there's a surefire way; also, I think some potentially very good priests crack under the political pressures of running a parish.  From what I've seen, I lament that it is not possible for every parish to have a deacon or two priests, to divide the workload.   I also feel like younger priests should not be given challenging solo assignments immediately after ordination; the more successful solo priests I've seem have tended to be older guys with years of experience, in their 60s or even 70s.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
In my opinion, this is an acceptable use of episcopal prerogative on the part of ROCOR; bishops should  have this right.

They have the right and these are the results.

I like seminaries, but the idea they are absolutely necessary in all cases, is I think a Roman Catholic counter reformation idea;

One of the best ones we adopted.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
In my opinion, this is an acceptable use of episcopal prerogative on the part of ROCOR; bishops should  have this right.  I like seminaries, but the idea they are absolutely necessary in all cases, is I think a Roman Catholic counter reformation idea; there are also records of several poorly educated Orthodox priests of remarkable holiness. 

I agree, wgw.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
To be clear, suggesting proper vetting and training for potential priests is NOT intended to suggest that seminary education is the sole or 'superior' method of preparation. I am suggesting that far too many 'stray cats' come to the doors of honest and often naive chancery offices and bishops seeking the ear of this or that bishop regarding their 'vocation' and dedication to the Church and its Bishop.