OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's One For Ya  (Read 1906 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« on: August 02, 2005, 12:34:18 PM »

Overheard in my yard as two tree removal guys were talking about their faith. One says to the other "I ain't into denominations. The spirit of the Lord is moving in non-denominational churches."  This makes my skin crawl. But what to do.  I didn't offer my opinion. I have just come to the conclusion that this is today's mass-market Christianity. It appeals to the masses and the masses eat it up. Any thoughts or opinions. How would you approach the situation if you decided to talk it over with this man. I assume that "denomination" equals "church." (He ain't into that). THerefore any discussion that begins with the "church" is off limits.

Stumped (Get it - trees, stumped)

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Friarmoo32

Christe Eleison!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 01:35:23 PM »

lol aserb.ÂÂ  Well I'll tell ya I think that not getting into it was a good idea.ÂÂ  It's sometimes pointless to discuss that type of issue with a "non-denominationalist" (no such thing by the way, just another type of Protestantism).ÂÂ  Although one never knows if the Spirit of the Lord will move them.ÂÂ  But regardless, I think a lot of non-denominationalist just don't want to deal with mainstream Christian Churches such as Orthodox or Catholic becuase there are set guidlines and rules that are usually tough to follow, and if basically the only thing you have to do is "believe", quite literally just believe, in Christ you can attain heaven without doing anything else why would you want to change?ÂÂ  I know to us it doesn't make sense but I bet if you would have talked to them about it you would have gotten the Sola Scriptura etc..speech.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 01:36:46 PM by Friarmoo32 » Logged
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »

BINGO FRiarmoo  Set guidelines or rules. Easy believism. I was thinking that but didn't write it down here.

Anybody else

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »

This story fits the description of most of my brothers and sisters.  However,  one of my sisters is a devout Catholic and was a bit concerned about me turning to Orthodoxy because she said it is too exclusionary.  I was suprised to hear from her that she believes that the RC's are more liberal about salvation.  Apparantly she thinks that there are many ways to salvation (ie.  "all roads lead to Rome"...excuse the pun) including Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam.  Is this a new teaching of the RC church?  Anyway, when I talked to her about the creation of the Papacy, she basically said that the teachings of the RC church are what counts...and to not get so hung up on the politics.
What say you?           blessings,   Juliana
Friarmoo32

Christe Eleison!

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 03:12:41 PM »

jlerms, I have heard that before, it's if anything just Post-Vatican II crap.  That has never been a teaching of the Catholic church until the mistake of 1962-65.  As for it being an official teaching...no it's definetly not but with the way it's taught throughout the world, I can see why she would have been confused.  Everybody's a pope anymore! 
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 03:24:28 PM »

Brother FriarMoo32,  ÃƒÆ’‚  Thanks for the clarification.  I thought maybe this was an example of NewAge-ism creeping into the theology of the Roman Catholics.  On another note, could you tell me the name of the icon you use as your avatar?  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ God bless you,  ÃƒÆ’‚ Juliana

ps.ÂÂ  Your screen name cracks me up!ÂÂ  CheesyÂÂ  Is there a story behind it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 03:26:05 PM by jlerms » Logged
Paleo

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 04:48:53 PM »

... I bet if you would have talked to them about it you would have gotten the Sola Scriptura etc..speech.

It's doubtful that you would even get that much - too theological.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 06:25:52 PM »

Paleo

So true, but watered down sola scriptura as in, if it ain't in the Bible I don't believe it. Were denominations in the Bible?  Yadda, yadda yadda

Friarmoo32

Christe Eleison!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »

haha jlerms, well actually there is.  Many of my friends started off a few years ago referring to me as "Moo" deriving from Shamu (I used to be heavy set).  And Since everyone knows I practice Christianity, Friar became one of those nick-names! lol.   My Icon is just a picture of Christ with his Sacred Heart being exaulted (Catholic tradition) with a 2 decked crown representing him as the Second Person of the Most Blessed Trinity.  As for it being new-age stuff, makes a lot of sense to me that thats where it came from.  Paelo, absoutley true, once you start seeing a Protestant defending his faith with Latin words...the heavens will fall!  lol ;-)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »

So true, but watered down sola scriptura as in, if it ain't in the Bible I don't believe it. Were denominations in the Bible?ÂÂ  Yadda, yadda yadda

You could always reply with:
"You're absolutely right; denominations aren't in the Fathers either, nor in Holy Tradition. Orthodoxy is neither a denomination nor "non-denominational" it's "Pre-denominational"."

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:55:05 PM »

You could always reply with:
"You're absolutely right; denominations aren't in the Fathers either, nor in Holy Tradition. Orthodoxy is neither a denomination nor "non-denominational" it's "Pre-denominational"."

Or just point out that while denominations aren't in the Bible, Orthodoxy is.  Just look in Acts.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 01:11:19 AM »

My Icon is just a picture of Christ with his Sacred Heart being exaulted (Catholic tradition) with a 2 decked crown representing him as the Second Person of the Most Blessed Trinity.

This depiction of Jesus is referred to as "Christ the King". You can read up more about it at these places:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/encyc/p11prima.htm

http://www.catholictradition.org/christ-king1.htm

http://www.sspx.ca/Angelus/1980_October/Long_Live.htm

The last two links are of a "traditional" flavor, but the devotion to Christ the King has sort of fallen out of favor in modern times, so one has to turn to these resources in order to learn more about it.

Hope you find these useful and of interest.

In Christ,
Aaron
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 07:55:21 AM »

Ozgeorge:

Very good, I learned a new term.

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 08:44:16 AM »

As I've done in the past, I'm going to wholesale steal this statement, repackage it and sell it as my own in the future.  I will offer no citation to ozgeorge.  Apologies and notification in advance.  Tongue

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 10:24:19 AM »

SouthSerb99

You're a lawyer aren't you?

This is not good

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 10:28:31 AM »

As I've done in the past, I'm going to wholesale steal this statement, repackage it and sell it as my own in the future.ÂÂ  I will offer no citation to ozgeorge.ÂÂ  Apologies and notification in advance.ÂÂ  Tongue

You'll be making sure to cover your own rear so someone can't do the same thing to you, right?  I'd be disappointed in you if not.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 10:37:32 AM »

You'll be making sure to cover your own rear so someone can't do the same thing to you, right?ÂÂ  I'd be disappointed in you if not.

No worries... I scarcely have any original thoughts!! lol  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Friarmoo32

Christe Eleison!

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 10:38:50 AM »

This depiction of Jesus is referred to as "Christ the King".

You're right, but I was explaining the specific symbolism in the picture of Christ as King.  Also, the Church still has the Feast of Christ the King on the Sunday before Advent, I believe the last Sunday in October.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 10:39:19 AM »

You're a lawyer aren't you?

Please see US Constitution, 5th Amendment.  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here