Author Topic: Using Marijuana (weed)?  (Read 8318 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Re: Using Marijuana (weed)?
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »
If you follow the Script on the Cop and Detective Show nothing happens at all. Just Poof! Nothing at all happens.
Learn meditation.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
So far there is Medicinal Marijuana, Recreational Marijuana, Sacramental Marijuana (per @wgw), and I feel like the balance is off so I'd like to suggest "Industrial Marijuana" (work drugs) and "Supplemental Marijuana" (pseudo-science).

Anyone?
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2016, 01:14:59 AM »
industrial marijuana? how does that work?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2016, 07:06:09 AM »
Marijuana is for dopes and retards, because that's precisely what it turns people into.
Stay of the hook for christians should not cultivate vices like those.
Besides, the "weed scene" is just terrible. I had lots of friends who smoked weed and hash and the conversations were... balls. Never heard of anything intelligent coming from them. Prolly because this stuff mentally handicaps you.

Sigh @ outdated myths you hold on to. Marijuana is smoked by some of the smartest people to walk the earth and some of the dumbest as well. Smoking cannabis does not make one dumb or stupid anymore than drinking water or eating food does. 

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2016, 07:49:09 AM »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2016, 06:08:49 PM »

Doesn't "recreational marijuana" sound like you're sitting around by the pool, sipping margaritas? And then one of your buddies is like, "Hey Rapha, do you know what would be even chiller....?"

I do think it's already a real category, though. For example, in Pennsylvania they have a certain amount of marijuana that is allowed in your system before you're charged with a DUI, because you'll keep testing positive for up to 30 days.

Supplemental Marijuana is currently available in all 50 states, according to an advertisment I read today. It's supposed to be pure CBD, no THC.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:39:09 PM by mcarmichael »

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »

Doesn't "recreational marijuana" sound like you're sitting around by the pool, sipping margaritas? And then one of your buddies is like, "Hey Rapha, do you know what would be even chiller....?"
LOL, never quit posting in this site.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:56:38 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
LOL, never quit posting in this site.  :laugh:

Don't encourage him, Rapha.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:52:16 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2016, 10:05:36 PM »
Industrial hemp (which contains little to no THC, and thus is not technically marijuana despite being the same species) exists. Maybe that's what mcarmichael was referring to.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:05:43 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2016, 12:18:19 AM »
Canada’s Cops Smoke 1.5 Grams of Weed a Day - http://www.thesmokersclub.com/news/canadas-cops-smoke-gram-weed-day/

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »
lol, such babies, Latin American cops can work for days on coke

Offline Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »
It isn't acceptable; contrary to the tantrums indignant users throw when any study comes out linking marijuana to deleterious health effects, it is indeed a dangerous substance. A short conversation with a regular user reveals the effects of memory loss, reduced IQ, mental illness, and laziness. Unlike alcohol, which can be consumed in moderate amounts so as not to cloud one's brain function, the intent of smoking marijuana is specifically to achieve intoxication, departing reality and altering brain function. From a spiritual point of view, this also opens the individual to demonic influence and attacks.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:38:03 AM by Saxon »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
Unlike alcohol, which can be consumed in moderate amounts so as not to cloud one's brain function, the intent of smoking marijuana is specifically to achieve intoxication, departing reality and altering brain function.

Isn't this why people drink coffee, though?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »
Unlike alcohol, which can be consumed in moderate amounts so as not to cloud one's brain function

What's the fun in that?

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »
Unlike alcohol, which can be consumed in moderate amounts so as not to cloud one's brain function

What's the fun in that?

It's medicinal?

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »
It isn't acceptable; contrary to the tantrums indignant users throw when any study comes out linking marijuana to deleterious health effects, it is indeed a dangerous substance. A short conversation with a regular user reveals the effects of memory loss, reduced IQ, mental illness, and laziness. Unlike alcohol, which can be consumed in moderate amounts so as not to cloud one's brain function, the intent of smoking marijuana is specifically to achieve intoxication, departing reality and altering brain function. From a spiritual point of view, this also opens the individual to demonic influence and attacks.

It's thin ice, but I want to refer to St. Paul the Apostle, referring to various foods: "I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean."

So I agree that it could be problematic.

However there are also those who say that all Marijuana is medicinal. Pot has health benefits, they say.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
I'll say this: I have used marijuana abusively and it can be used abusively. I would add as a caveat that marijuana is not a drug that lends itself towards abuse, naturally. Sometimes I need to push myself to self-medicate. It always works and it's never the problem. (results may not be typical.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:45:18 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »
Here in Canada, many people smoke weed, some people even smoke it publicly. Our current Prime Minister promised to legalize and regulate the use of Marijuana, nevertheless, it remains illegal for now.

From a Christian point of view, especially the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic, is smoking weed/marijuana sinful?

smoking is always harmful.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2016, 02:55:44 AM »
I learned this watching youtube, that wood produces combustible gasses, some of which are not always fully combusted when ppl smoke marijuana.

True story.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:04:05 AM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2016, 03:10:14 AM »
I learned this watching youtube, that wood produces combustible gasses, some of which are not always fully combusted when ppl smoke marijuana.

True story.

Talking to myself again. Apologies Mods.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:13:02 AM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2016, 03:17:10 AM »
Here in Canada, many people smoke weed, some people even smoke it publicly. Our current Prime Minister promised to legalize and regulate the use of Marijuana, nevertheless, it remains illegal for now.

From a Christian point of view, especially the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic, is smoking weed/marijuana sinful?

smoking is always harmful.

My three remaining lung cells would agree if they were capable of cognitive processes. Which doesn't bode well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:21:39 AM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2016, 03:34:55 AM »
I think cops should use marijuana. I doubt if anyone actually read the article I shared, but any medicinal user in the Canadian MP is removed from active duty.

Whereas I have heard the suggestion that every goverment official out to be tested regularly, proscriptively! In other words, it ought to be a pre-requisite.. And, they ought to be tested regularly. I don't know if anyone here has heard of that before. It may be true.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:40:59 AM by mcarmichael »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2016, 03:52:56 AM »

What's the fun in that?

True dat.

It's like smoking pot and stop before it kicks just to get hungry.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »

What's the fun in that?

True dat.

Think about it, Mike.

Offline Saxon

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2016, 07:09:25 AM »
Unlike alcohol, which can be consumed in moderate amounts so as not to cloud one's brain function, the intent of smoking marijuana is specifically to achieve intoxication, departing reality and altering brain function.

Caffeine is a stimulant but doesn't alter perceptions of reality or cloud one's judgement, nor is it correlated to brain damage as marijuana is.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »

Caffeine is a stimulant but doesn't alter perceptions of reality or cloud one's judgement, nor is it correlated to brain damage as marijuana is.

It depends how much coffee you drink.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »

You do realize that those studies concern people who start smoking weed at a young age, right? If you wait until your 20's when most of your brain development is completely done or near done, those effects are either miniscule or non-existent.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »

You do realize that those studies concern people who start smoking weed at a young age, right? If you wait until your 20's when most of your brain development is completely done or near done, those effects are either miniscule or non-existent.

Most people don't wait.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2016, 06:32:28 PM »

Can you back this up?

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2016, 10:47:04 PM »

There are actually a lot of studies that show that it does damage the brain.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »
I didn't find them in time to include them previously, but I'm sure that if you look for them, you'll find them.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »
Can you back this up?

I would refer you to "Cannabis and the Brain: A User's Guide", at http://norml.org/component/zoo/category/cannabis-and-the-brain-a-user-s-guide, but I feel like it's a red herring, because alcohol kills brain cells for sure, and that's not why it's wrong to drink too much afaik.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »
I understand that Cannabis is very popular in Egypt; has the Coptic Church said anything about it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:04:39 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2016, 08:04:02 PM »

This screed is false on its face, for two reasons. First, your contradiction that substances can be taken in smaller amounts, but not cannabis. Second, your upholding alcohol, which almost anyone in any generation knows causes uncounted abuses, violence, even death.

What's the fun in that?

True dat.

Another evidence of the shallow thinking and observation in this thread. If one can take alcohol as a digestif, and not for drunken partying (note, I include people who aren't Americans), then one can "smoke pot and stop before it kicks in" enough to relieve pain, calm muscle spasms, cure nausea, and the like -- and indeed thousands of patients do.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: ELCA
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2016, 05:26:36 AM »
The suppression of MJ and hemp is completely irrational.  It's one of the best medicines out there.   I've got fibromyalgia and hemp is very useful for this condition- it's one of the more effective substances.  It's also good for anxiety.  So I'm very much in favor of it.

Fibromyalgia is like your muscles or nerves feeling like they are on fire.  Asprin doesn't do a thing for it.  Conventional treatments are SSRI's that can turn you into a zombie or a eunuch.

I've even used hemp instead of opiate painkillers after I messed up my shoulder playing golf (I have torn labrums in both shoulders now) and I developed Frozen Shoulder Syndrome.  My doctor actually casually wrote a prescription for oxycodone.  No thanks... I don't need the constipation or potential drug addiction.

I'm not a fan of THC but not all types of hemp contain appreciable amounts of THC.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:34:49 AM by Daedelus1138 »
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Saxon

« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2016, 10:28:16 AM »

This screed is false on its face, for two reasons. First, your contradiction that substances can be taken in smaller amounts, but not cannabis. Second, your upholding alcohol, which almost anyone in any generation knows causes uncounted abuses, violence, even death.

There is no contradiction here; social drinking is quite common and, as acknowledged by the scriptures, acceptable. Drinking to intoxication and inane behaviour is another issue. Conversely, marijuana is not smoked "socially", and a proportionately smaller amount is required to become intoxicated. It is invariably smoked to become high, while alcohol is not always consumed to become drunk.

I am not defending the deleterious effects of alcohol. My father was a violent alcoholic who committed suicide while drunk when I was 15 - I lived through the negative impact of alcohol abuse daily for half my life. I am very much in favour of seeing its availability and use curbed. Further, while both are physically harmful substances and in no way "safe" by any stretch of the imagination, marijuana's impact on brain function, resulting in memory loss, reduced IQ, and other consequences, creates at least as many social ills as alcohol. I would like to at least see an acknowledgement of this fact from legality/use advocates.

If anyone here truly believes that marijuana use is acceptable or permissible, I strongly suggest praying to St. John of Kronstadt, who lamented the growing trend of substance abuse in many of his later writings.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
If anyone here truly believes that marijuana use is acceptable or permissible, I strongly suggest praying to St. John of Kronstadt, who lamented the growing trend of substance abuse in many of his later writings.

Cheeze. That's one of the worst things I've heard that wasn't from a fairytale. I'm so sorry.

Offline Saxon

« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2016, 01:35:01 PM »

Cheeze. That's one of the worst things I've heard that wasn't from a fairytale. I'm so sorry.

At the end of the day, these kinds of indignant responses are simply the product of people who take a wrong position, and then dislike being called out for it. Unfortunately, they are not arguments and add nothing to the debate.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »

At the end of the day, these kinds of indignant responses are simply the product of people who take a wrong position, and then dislike being called out for it. Unfortunately, they are not arguments and add nothing to the debate.

No, I meant the story about you father. That's awful.

Offline Saxon

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »

No, I meant the story about you father. That's awful.

Apologies, and thank you.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »
I really couldn't see why it would be wrong to use marijuana medically, and I favour its legalisation in my country even for recreational uses for practical reasons, but smoking weed seems to fall way off the WWJD spectrum. As using morphine, hydrocodone or sleep pills recreatively would.

Maybe it's easier if you're a recovering alcoholic?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:36:22 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2016, 10:32:56 PM »
I really couldn't see why it would be wrong to use marijuana medically, and I favour its legalisation in my country even for recreational uses for practical reasons, but smoking weed seems to fall way off the WWJD spectrum. As using morphine, hydrocodone or sleep pills recreatively would.

Well, maybe in that case it's not 100% recreational, although it's still something one should do their best to leave, IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:33:15 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »
Well, maybe in that case it's not 100% recreational, although it's still something one should do their best to leave, IMHO.
There is a theory that all Marijuana is medicinal.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:57:19 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2016, 11:41:44 AM »
You're much better off if you don't use marijuana. (Psychology Health) . . .
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
So far there is Medicinal Marijuana, Recreational Marijuana, Sacramental Marijuana (per @wgw), and I feel like the balance is off so I'd like to suggest "Industrial Marijuana" (work drugs) and "Supplemental Marijuana" (pseudo-science).

Anyone?

It starts with the sensi-seeds or (marijuana seeds).
Learn meditation.