Author Topic: Using Marijuana (weed)?  (Read 8328 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
Re: Using Marijuana (weed)?
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2016, 04:11:45 PM »
You're much better off if you don't use marijuana. (Psychology Health) . . .
Okay.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2016, 12:59:46 AM »
I met a kid at a train station today who was just coming back from the clinic, he was injured in a car accident in his teens and had been using prescription painkillers until he went to the clinic, presumably. I asked him if he used medical marijuana and he told me he was prescribed marinol (a synthetic marijuana), however only 5 pills. Idk, weird story.

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2016, 03:48:04 AM »
If you use frankincense in church, this is normal. It is aromatic. However, what if you burnt it at home for psychological effects? It seems that the same issues would apply as with marijuana if that were legalized.
The essential oil of frankincense is used on the skin and by inhalation as a pain-killer.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-448-frankincense.aspx?activeingredientid=448&activeingredientname=frankincense

Now, EO clergy never teach "We use frankincense or other herbs to get intoxicated from smoke", or something like that. The teaching is that the incense is part of spirituality, like using bells, painting ikons with colors, or having melodies. But in truth, I think that it may have a faint mental effect that the church or others are not aware of during the service.

Anyway, if you are going to buy a lot of herbs like frankincense and burn them in your house or smoke them up, it's not something the church would be interested in or care about, except you shouldn't hurt your health. You don't want to live a life drunk or intoxicated by alcohol or smoke.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:50:08 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »
Can you imagine Jesus smoking weed? The Apostles? St. Paisios? I can't.

I don't see why not - perhaps cannabis didn't carry the stigma back then that it does now?  It was used in many ancient medicines as a medicinal herb.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »
I don't know if the Church has an official stance on it - and even if a bishop or patriarch said something, the chances of the entire EOC ruling that smoking the devil's lettuce leads to damnation is slim to none.

I can only speak anecdotally.  I live in Colorado on a pretty liberal university campus (in my fraternity house, no less).  Most people here use cannabis in some way.  It's definitely "no big deal" in my community, and the taxes from recreational marijuana go to help our schools.  I use it recreationally.  It has been harmless for me, and it is healthier than drinking (which I cannot do because of a condition).  My counselor even recommends it as a means of helping to treat my bipolar disorder when I'm too up or too down.  I don't know, I really don't think it's a big deal (and I doubt God cares about Christians smoking some primo ganja when things like genocide and human trafficking are happening in our world at this very moment.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:29:59 AM by Tikhon.of.Colorado »

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »

Marijuana is for dopes and retards, because that's precisely what it turns people into.
Stay of the hook for christians should not cultivate vices like those.
Besides, the "weed scene" is just terrible. I had lots of friends who smoked weed and hash and the conversations were... balls. Never heard of anything intelligent coming from them. Prolly because this stuff mentally handicaps you.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
I don't see why not - perhaps cannabis didn't carry the stigma back then that it does now?  It was used in many ancient medicines as a medicinal herb.
I doubt it, cannabis was used to induce trances in Pagan rituals.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »
I doubt it, cannabis was used to induce trances in Pagan rituals.

So was wine. (Not that I think it likely that the disciples were puffing cannabis).
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »
I don't know if the Church has an official stance on it - and even if a bishop or patriarch said something, the chances of the entire EOC ruling that smoking the devil's lettuce leads to damnation is slim to none.

I can only speak anecdotally.  I live in Colorado on a pretty liberal university campus (in my fraternity house, no less).  Most people here use cannabis in some way.  It's definitely "no big deal" in my community, and the taxes from recreational marijuana go to help our schools.  I use it recreationally.  It has been harmless for me, and it is healthier than drinking (which I cannot do because of a condition).  My counselor even recommends it as a means of helping to treat my bipolar disorder when I'm too up or too down.  I don't know, I really don't think it's a big deal (and I doubt God cares about Christians smoking some primo ganja when things like genocide and human trafficking are happening in our world at this very moment.)

Pot is fine as long as as you stick to no more than several times per month. I've seen a few people that smoke a few times per week and it did not good for them.

Also pot and vodka do not mix well.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Pot is fine as long as as you stick to no more than several times per month. I've seen a few people that smoke a few times per week and it did not good for them

Yeah, in my experience, instead of relaxing, this makes people paranoid.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Pot is fine as long as as you stick to no more than several times per month. I've seen a few people that smoke a few times per week and it did not good for them

From my experience, it makes people frozen. Like a broken Windows.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »

From my experience, it makes people frozen. Like a broken Windows.

+1.

The fastest way to semi-permanent ennui is adoption of the pot lifestyle.

On the other hand, Tuesday my state voted to legalize it for medical use.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »

I should show you some brain scans of people who habitually smoke pot.  Maybe then you'll change your mind. But, hey it's legal, so do you as you will.  Because everything's OK in your universe (or at least in your frat house) as long as it doesn't involve genocide or human trafficking.   Obviously the pot has affected your brain.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
I use it everyday, but I put it into oil sometimes to make pot brownies. It's gentler.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:57:55 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »

What a sorry excuse for legalising marijuana. It is like saying it is ok to steal from the rich because you are helping the poor or like the ads from gambling enterprises which show how great they are because they sponsor paralympians.  ::)

Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2016, 05:26:45 PM »
I should show you some brain scans of people who habitually smoke pot. 

Latin, Byzantine chant, and radiology...
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »
Our own Fr. Giryus wrote a compelling warning about marijuana use on his blog, and I concur with it.  One thing which strikes me is the enormous amount spent on procuring the passage of these legalizing ammendments by what has become known as the "marijuana industry", in the face of surprisingly underfunded opposition from mainly law enforcement lobbies.

As I see it, we have enough vices, and the fact that a large commercial industry has grown up to exploit the decriminalization of marijuana, which now actively uses its revenue to finance further decriminalization, should be a viewed as a red flag.  This is a passion on a par with gambling and alcoholism, one which renders those who are ensnared by it vulnerable to what amounts to commercial exploitation, and I fear, probably spiritual delusion, because the devil benefits when our decision making is impaired.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »

What a sorry excuse for legalising marijuana. It is like saying it is ok to steal from the rich because you are helping the poor or like the ads from gambling enterprises which show how great they are because they sponsor paralympians.  ::)

No, it is nothing like that.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2016, 07:34:16 PM »

I should show you some brain scans of people who habitually smoke pot.  Maybe then you'll change your mind. But, hey it's legal, so do you as you will.  Because everything's OK in your universe (or at least in your frat house) as long as it doesn't involve genocide or human trafficking.   Obviously the pot has affected your brain.

Yep, I am a braindead zombie hell bent on consuming as many funyuns as possible.  I'm guessing you've never used it, friend.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
One satisfying thing about this thread is observing how OC.net posters are just as capable of misinformation at high volume in subjects not theological.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2016, 12:09:14 AM »
I use it everyday, but I put it into oil sometimes to make pot brownies. It's gentler.

Come to think of it, the only objection my parish priest seemed to have against it was the smoking of it. For example, I've told him more than once that I like to eat it, and he's only ever told me "no smoking."

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2016, 03:54:39 AM »
Because everything's OK in your universe (or at least in your frat house) as long as it doesn't involve genocide or human trafficking. 

Pretty much.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »

Yep, I am a braindead zombie hell bent on consuming as many funyuns as possible.  I'm guessing you've never used it, friend.

You guess wrong. Unlike you, I have a strong constitution and do not form addictions.  I never saw what others thought was so great about it. Sure, do it, but if that is what you need to have a good time, then you're probably a pretty boring person.  If you need this to for managing your mental issue,  shouldn't you also be undergoing other forms of treatment in addition to just simply getting high?  Besides, I know plenty of psychiatrists who will actually offer to prescribe their patients the active elements in marijuana to help them with treat their mental condition, but the vast majority of them decline because they want to get high instead. 

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
I should show you some brain scans of people who habitually smoke pot. 

Latin, Byzantine chant, and radiology...

Everyone's got to have a hobby.  I interned in a radiology lab for a couple of summers when I thought medicine was going to be my choice for a career.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:08:00 AM by scamandrius »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
Unlike you, I have a strong constitution and do not form addictions.

Except in your 'mind,' which manifests in your speech  ;)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »
I know plenty of psychiatrists

I'm sure you do. Maybe a good blunt will succeed where they haven't?

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »
I know plenty of psychiatrists

I'm sure you do. Maybe a good blunt will succeed where they haven't?

Perhaps I should introduce you to a few of them. I think they'd love to "pick your brain" for their research.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »
pick your brain
Is this a sexual euphemism?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »

I always hated it, maybe because when I did it I was doing all sorts of stupid things a boy in his teens to early 20's does.  IDK so much about lifetime regular users of it, some people who do it seem completely fried out, others seem to be fine.  Maybe it's like drinking or anything else, some people just can handle it, others not so much.  Count me in the "not so much" camp.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:07:45 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Our own Fr. Giryus wrote a compelling warning about marijuana use on his blog, and I concur with it.  One thing which strikes me is the enormous amount spent on procuring the passage of these legalizing ammendments by what has become known as the "marijuana industry", in the face of surprisingly underfunded opposition from mainly law enforcement lobbies.

As I see it, we have enough vices, and the fact that a large commercial industry has grown up to exploit the decriminalization of marijuana, which now actively uses its revenue to finance further decriminalization, should be a viewed as a red flag.  This is a passion on a par with gambling and alcoholism, one which renders those who are ensnared by it vulnerable to what amounts to commercial exploitation, and I fear, probably spiritual delusion, because the devil benefits when our decision making is impaired.

The law enforcement opposition is likely much more to do with the private corporate prison industry for revenue.  The DEcriminalization is the best part, as it will reduce the prison population for non-violent offenders.  The number of people incarcerated for possessing small amounts of marijuana is a travesty.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »
pick your brain
Is this a sexual euphemism?

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that some people have used it as such, but such was not my intent. 

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »
As Christians we shouldn't be seeking to get high, but rather to be sober and vigilant :) And although something doesn't cause violence, doesn't make it ok. Laziness and indifference are also not good.
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
Sidebar: why is Raylight's name blacked out so you can't click on it?
God bless!

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2016, 09:34:23 PM »
Because he blocked you. Respect his freedom, he's clearly not interested :P
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:34:52 PM by byhisgrace »
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »

I can't either, how did he do that?

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »

Do you have brain scans of people who habitually smoke pot? I would be interested to compare them to people who habitually eat pot brownies, for science.

I worry about these kids in Colorado doing dabs, but not as much as I should worry about the methampehtamine, heroin, and cocain addicts.

If there is a "gateway" drug, it is either alcohol or nicotine or caffeine.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:02:08 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »

Admin mind trick. Nothing to see here, citizen.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2016, 10:07:02 PM »

Admin mind trick. Nothing to see here, citizen.

figures.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »

Do you have brain scans of people who habitually smoke pot? I would be interested to compare them to people who habitually eat pot brownies, for science.

I worry about these kids in Colorado doing dabs, but not as much as I should worry about the methampehtamine, heroin, and cocain addicts.

I said I did.  Now, I don't have a point of comparison for those who smoke it versus those who only ingest it through some other medium.  The problem is that you don't find many who only ingest pot in that way. 

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »

I said I did.  Now, I don't have a point of comparison for those who smoke it versus those who only ingest it through some other medium.  The problem is that you don't find many who only ingest pot in that way.

True enough. +1

I imagine I could find similar brain scans on Google?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:35:16 PM by mcarmichael »

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2016, 11:08:34 PM »

Though I have no statistics, there are MANY people who ingest cannabis via edibles - it's the healthiest way to do so, and is encouraged.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »

The law enforcement opposition is likely much more to do with the private corporate prison industry for revenue.  The DEcriminalization is the best part, as it will reduce the prison population for non-violent offenders.  The number of people incarcerated for possessing small amounts of marijuana is a travesty.

+1

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:50 PM »

I always hated it, maybe because when I did it I was doing all sorts of stupid things a boy in his teens to early 20's does.  IDK so much about lifetime regular users of it, some people who do it seem completely fried out, others seem to be fine.  Maybe it's like drinking or anything else, some people just can handle it, others not so much.  Count me in the "not so much" camp.

Point of clarification - did you make these bad decisions while you were under its influence, or while using it was part of your life?  The stupidest thing I've done while stoned was eat my roommate's oreos and spill mountain dew on my keyboard.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2016, 11:17:39 PM »

You guess wrong. Unlike you, I have a strong constitution and do not form addictions.  I never saw what others thought was so great about it. Sure, do it, but if that is what you need to have a good time, then you're probably a pretty boring person.  If you need this to for managing your mental issue,  shouldn't you also be undergoing other forms of treatment in addition to just simply getting high?  Besides, I know plenty of psychiatrists who will actually offer to prescribe their patients the active elements in marijuana to help them with treat their mental condition, but the vast majority of them decline because they want to get high instead.

I am on 200mg of Lamotrigine and 40mg of Latuda per day.  I attend weekly appoints with my counselor (LPC) as well as bi-weekly appointments with my psychiatric nurse practitioner, both of whom know I use cannabis to supplement my treatment.

I don't need marijuana to have a "good time".  If I'm going to have a good time, I keep a clear mind.  When I have a difficult day and can't get to sleep, or when I have a fight with a friend or family member that is triggering a manic or depressive episode, then I'll smoke a bowl, eat an edible, or do a couple of dabs with a roommate who has a rig. 

As far as I know, CBD treats physical ailments.  I didn't know it also worked for mental issues - I'll have to read up on that.

Unlike you, I have a strong constitution and do not form addictions.

Lol, ok.  With what addiction have you diagnosed me?  I've had to stop smoking for weeks when I couldn't justify spending money on cannabis.  I'm currently abstaining for my fraternity's purity week.  I will have to stop to do my internship.  I've never had any issues when "quitting", and I've been using it for a little over a year.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »
if that is what you need to have a good time, then you're probably a pretty boring person.