Author Topic: Using Marijuana (weed)?  (Read 8324 times)

Raylight

Using Marijuana (weed)?
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
Here in Canada, many people smoke weed, some people even smoke it publicly. Our current Prime Minister promised to legalize and regulate the use of Marijuana, nevertheless, it remains illegal for now.

From a Christian point of view, especially the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic, is smoking weed/marijuana sinful?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Using Marijuana (weed)?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »
lol
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
WWJD?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
From a Christian point of view, especially the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic, is smoking weed/marijuana sinful?

Setting aside medical utility, I fail to see how the recreational use of marijuana does not represent a sinful indulgence in the passions.   The Ethiopian church has said as much due to the Rasta question.  I also believe it is neccessary to reject the Hashish-assisted asceticism of the Hindu Saddhus and related non-Christian religions in the strongest possible way.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
There are a few existing threads devoted to this issue.  Why not look at those?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:57:57 PM by scamandrius »
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »
As Christians, we are meant to follow the law of the land, unless of course that law is contrary to the Faith. So, if weed is illegal where you live, then you shouldn't use it, end of.

If you were to live somewhere that had legalised it, then it becomes a more interesting question. There is an argument that an occasional, small amount of weed for recreational use is no different to an occasional, small amount of alcohol for recreational purposes, which is perfectly OK. However, I'm not convinced that medically it's a good idea, given the links between weed and mental illness. I certainly wouldn't advocate ever using it.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
I personally think your better off if you quit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:17:07 PM by WPM »
Learn meditation.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:11:27 PM »
Oh, yay, another ride on the merry-go-round. Well, at least this promises to be more fun than "Reasons from the Fathers and Scriptures Why the Pope is Super Cool" version 1000.56.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »
Here in Canada, many people smoke weed, some people even smoke it publicly. Our current Prime Minister promised to legalize and regulate the use of Marijuana, nevertheless, it remains illegal for now.

Have you ever smoked weed?

ETA: you can PM me the answer if you like, for the sake of sensitivity.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:24:38 PM by Ainnir »
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:54 PM »

Setting aside medical utility, I fail to see how the recreational use of marijuana does not represent a sinful indulgence in the passions.   The Ethiopian church has said as much due to the Rasta question.  I also believe it is neccessary to reject the Hashish-assisted asceticism of the Hindu Saddhus and related non-Christian religions in the strongest possible way.

Well, then so much for the booze culture of most Orthodox groups.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Can you imagine Jesus smoking weed? The Apostles? St. Paisios? I can't.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:43:39 PM »

Once it becomes legal, I believe that it would fall under the same sensibilities as alcohol, smoking, overeating and such do.

I would also imagine that restraining from use during the fasts would be critical as well

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »

Except there was that miracle of turning water into wine, which seems to imply an endorsement of alcohol at least in some contexts. (Don't forget church history; one of the reasons Rus' didn't become Muslim is because they didn't want to give up drinking!)

No equivalent exists for weed. Now, if instead of causing the fig tree to wither, Jesus had instead turned it into a cannabis bush, THEN maybe the Rastas might have a case.

Although, there are some historians who suggest that He may have endorsed medical (not recreational) use of cannabis. But that depends on whether "kaneh-bosm" actually was cannabis or not. The LXX uses "calamus" but calamus is also a drug.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:01:44 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:55:32 PM »

Except there was that miracle of turning water into wine, which seems to imply an endorsement of alcohol at least in some contexts. (Don't forget church history; one of the reasons Rus' didn't become Muslim is because they didn't want to give up drinking!)

No equivalent exists for weed. Now, if instead of causing the fig tree to wither, Jesus had instead turned it into a cannabis bush, THEN maybe the Rastas might have a case.

I think the Greek text here as some variants which could suggest that. 8)

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 11:57:50 PM »
Can you imagine Jesus smoking weed? The Apostles? St. Paisios? I can't.

I actually have imagined Jesus and the Apostles smoking weed. The blunt never got any lower and the munchies never ran out. I might have been a bit of a stoner at one time.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 12:16:09 AM »
Weed outside of its medical uses is for teenagers and old people trying to feel young again.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:19 AM »

Although, there are some historians who suggest that He may have endorsed medical (not recreational) use of cannabis. But that depends on whether "kaneh-bosm" actually was cannabis or not. The LXX uses "calamus" but calamus is also a drug.

I don't see how the intoxicating effects of alcohol are any more ethically acceptable than those of cannabis. People use both in moderation and people abuse both regularly. I don't see how it can be argued that Jesus approves the use of one and not the other without being completely arbitrary.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 12:39:23 AM »
Weed outside of its medical uses is for teenagers and old people trying to feel young again.

One could dismiss alcohol in similar ways... and then get lynched at the next Russian or Greek party that they attend.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 12:55:27 AM »

Do what your mother tells you, she knows best
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »

One could dismiss alcohol in similar ways... and then get lynched at the next Russian or Greek party that they attend.

Volnut, I don't get what you are doing.  It seems as if you are being needlessly Socratic and passive aggressively confrontational.  If so, just put your cards on the table, there is no need to fish around like this.  And if you don't have an overall poitive point (just criticism and questioning), I really don't see your line of questioning being anything but meandering, fruitless, and causing needless bickering and making a rather simple OP a lot more complex than it ought be. 

If your main point is the question "Why beer and not pot", the answer is in fact cultural, and that is an acceptable answer in its own right.  In fact questioning like that is out of scope and a kind of "false philosophy", we can't really make such clear divisions that the intellectual likes to draw up when we talk about ethics and human action, culture, and society.  Descartes himself understood you couldn't really apply questioning like that to humanistic endeavors.  This is a different rational, and a different way to use ethics than you seem comfortable with.  Nevertheless, there you have it.  If your mother says X is OK, but Y is not...she may very well have a point, and you ought listen to her anyway in such matters during your formative years, even if you think there is a "contradiction".

And I think regardless of what your point is, there is hardly a need to promote any uncustomary drug use on a universal,  Christian, and anonymous all age forum.  That some of us come from drinking cultures is a fact of life, so yes some alcohol refences will get thrown out, but you're right those references too ought be restricted because alcohol is something that must be used responsibly if it is to be used at all, and a forum like this is no place to promote it's use.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:19:14 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:56 AM »
It seems logical that if we are called to a life of watchfulness, repentance and doing good, then anything that clouds the mind will be detrimental whether it is sinful or not. No doubt some can drink/smoke marijuana/etc. more than others without losing control--and many of us are very good at fooling ourselves.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »

Please quit being needlessly Socratic and just put your cards on the table.  And if you don't have a point I really don't see your line of questioning being anything but meandering, fruitless, and causing needless bickering and making a rather simple OP a lot more complex than it ought be.  If your main point is the question "Why beer and not pot", the answer is in fact cultural, and that is an acceptable answer in its own right.  In fact questioning like that is out of scope and a kind of "false philosophy", we can't really make such clear divisions that the intellectual likes to draw up.  Descartes himself understood you couldn't really apply questioning like that to humanistic endeavors.  This is a different rational, and a different way to use ethics than you seem comfortable with.  Nevertheless, there you have it.  If your mother says X is OK, but Y is not...she may very well have a point, and you ought listen to her anyway in such matters during your formative years, even if you think there is a "contradiction".

And I think regardless of what your point is, there is hardly a need to promote any uncustomary drug use on a universal,  Christian, and anonymous all age forum.  That some of us come from drinking cultures is a fact of life, so yes some alcohol refences will get thrown out, but you're right those references too ought be restricted because alcohol is something that must be used responsibly if it is to be used at all, and a forum like this is no place to promote it's use.

Sorry, I thought my point was clear. Saying alcohol is allowed and not pot because of cultural reasons is an explanation, but it's not a reason for why things should be or else we just descend into arbitrariness if not hypocrisy. I neither promote nor condemn marijuana use.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 01:26:19 AM »

I would say not. And people who do say it is sinful are generally Weberian statists of some sort. Scientific studies have shown that smoking pot before the age of 18 or so does impair the development of the brain. Aside from that risk, pot is WAYYYYYY safer to use than alcohol is. You can't overdose on pot and die. There are only two major risks with pot: a run-in with the law and developing a social addiction (not to be confused with a physical addiction) to it. I've smoked a lot of pot back many years ago, and it was a blast. I would go out hotboxing with some friends in a car and we'd all come back and raid the vending machines. I would spend at least 6 dollars or so on a bunch of Cheetos, Doritos, Gardettos, and Fanta. Then we'd head back to my place and watch some trippy anime which was all the more trippy and hilarious when we were high. About the worst experience I ever had with pot was walking down the hallway with my friend who was also high. We were going to the stairwell. And HOLY ISH it seemed like we were walking down the hallway for ever! I turned to my friend and said, "Dude, is it just me or does the hallway seem like the endless stairwell from Super Mario 64, and that we will never reach the stairs to get up to the room?" We both freaked out, but luckily we did reach those stairs.

My experience with alcohol? Well, while it does great in moderation, it is extremely bad in excess, the latter which cannot be said of weed. Excessive use of pot puts you to sleep, makes you fat, or both. As for alcohol, once I passed out drunk at a cousin's wedding reception in the front of the hall while the bride and groom were leaving. I had to go to the hospital. And another time, I woke up next to an ugly fat chick. Those were times when I had sunk to my lowest.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »

Please quit being needlessly Socratic and just put your cards on the table.  And if you don't have a point I really don't see your line of questioning being anything but meandering, fruitless, and causing needless bickering and making a rather simple OP a lot more complex than it ought be.  If your main point is the question "Why beer and not pot", the answer is in fact cultural, and that is an acceptable answer in its own right.  In fact questioning like that is out of scope and a kind of "false philosophy", we can't really make such clear divisions that the intellectual likes to draw up.  Descartes himself understood you couldn't really apply questioning like that to humanistic endeavors.  This is a different rational, and a different way to use ethics than you seem comfortable with.  Nevertheless, there you have it.  If your mother says X is OK, but Y is not...she may very well have a point, and you ought listen to her anyway in such matters during your formative years, even if you think there is a "contradiction".

Sorry, I thought my point was clear. Saying alcohol is allowed and not pot because of cultural reasons is an explanation, but it's not a reason for why things should be or else we just descend into arbitrariness if not hypocrisy. I neither promote nor condemn marijuana use.

It's not arbitrary.  Pot =/= Wine.  They are different.  Moreover they are things that people use and form subjective relations and valuations with...they are not large formal class aggregates (neither Russian, nor Modernity, nor wine drinking are things you can classify and class psychologize the way you want to.  Most talk about such things are poetic and informal). This has more to do with formation, and how people raise their children and interact in culture and society at large.  It's the parents and culture at large that shoulder the consequences of those actions and deal physically with the items in question, not you. The "hypocrite" or "inauthentic" label tends to fall on flat ears to me, and it belongs to the same critique as "why pot and not alcohol", it's starting you off on the wrong foot.  You can't analyze these facts the way you want to (this reminds me of your views of art and some other things as well).  We are not created in the way your method of inquiry seems to be going.  Your demand for reasons is most likely a categorical error.

But you may have a point, that the more "universal" we speak and the more we are dealing with different cultures and religions, the more cautious we should be in talking about such things.  So yes the religious, cultural, and what have you does need to be tempered in conversation the less it strays from home.  So on that level your line of reasoning may be a bit more effective, it just fails when it tries to critique the cultural groundwork on rational grounds from the outside. There is no language you can construct or deconstruct that has any real meaning at that point to gain control of those social facts.

lol, now I'm getting ultra "meta" on this thread with you.  I just noticed that you tend to do this with a kind of relentless consistency, and I think it's a big mistake.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:50:27 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
Every person I knew that smoked weed was/is Roman Catholic.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 04:37:32 AM »

You must have a very limited circle of acquaintances.  ;)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 05:02:48 AM »

You must have a very limited circle of acquaintances.  ;)
They can't all be Finns, unfortunately.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 08:32:50 AM »
Marijuana is for dopes and retards, because that's precisely what it turns people into.
Stay of the hook for christians should not cultivate vices like those.
Besides, the "weed scene" is just terrible. I had lots of friends who smoked weed and hash and the conversations were... balls. Never heard of anything intelligent coming from them. Prolly because this stuff mentally handicaps you.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »

I would say not. And people who do say it is sinful are generally Weberian statists of some sort. Scientific studies have shown that smoking pot before the age of 18 or so does impair the development of the brain. Aside from that risk, pot is WAYYYYYY safer to use than alcohol is. You can't overdose on pot and die. There are only two major risks with pot: a run-in with the law and developing a social addiction (not to be confused with a physical addiction) to it. I've smoked a lot of pot back many years ago, and it was a blast. I would go out hotboxing with some friends in a car and we'd all come back and raid the vending machines. I would spend at least 6 dollars or so on a bunch of Cheetos, Doritos, Gardettos, and Fanta. Then we'd head back to my place and watch some trippy anime which was all the more trippy and hilarious when we were high. About the worst experience I ever had with pot was walking down the hallway with my friend who was also high. We were going to the stairwell. And HOLY ISH it seemed like we were walking down the hallway for ever! I turned to my friend and said, "Dude, is it just me or does the hallway seem like the endless stairwell from Super Mario 64, and that we will never reach the stairs to get up to the room?" We both freaked out, but luckily we did reach those stairs.

My experience with alcohol? Well, while it does great in moderation, it is extremely bad in excess, the latter which cannot be said of weed. Excessive use of pot puts you to sleep, makes you fat, or both. As for alcohol, once I passed out drunk at a cousin's wedding reception in the front of the hall while the bride and groom were leaving. I had to go to the hospital. And another time, I woke up next to an ugly fat chick. Those were times when I had sunk to my lowest.

Those hallways!!  I just don't see how 1 hit = 1 drink as far as effects go.  I suppose part of that is the delivery method.  It's hard for me to imagine how one could exercise moderation.  But I'm highly sensitive and I don't like how antihistamines make me feel.   ;D  I wouldn't personally take advantage of the freedom to smoke pot even if every nation and priest said it was fine.  I just really prefer sobriety and I never regret it the next day.   ;)
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:37 AM »
Marijuana is for dopes and retards, because that's precisely what it turns people into.
Besides, the "weed scene" is just terrible. I had lots of friends who smoked weed and hash and the conversations were... balls. Never heard of anything intelligent coming from them. Prolly because this stuff mentally handicaps you.

Clearly you don't use marijuana because this post doesn't contain a single word that is unintelligent or suggestive of mental handicaps or other deficiencies.  Not even one.  Good man.

Death to the world.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »

I don't see how the intoxicating effects of alcohol are any more ethically acceptable than those of cannabis. People use both in moderation and people abuse both regularly. I don't see how it can be argued that Jesus approves the use of one and not the other without being completely arbitrary.

You might have a point. If you're right, then it would be weird that:

• Rus' converted to EO (not Islam) in part because they could still drink alcohol, but
  • The OO refuses to let converts from Rastafarianism still smoke weed, despite the fact that Rastas make up a significant fraction of Jamaica's population and represent a large potential missionary constituency, just like Rus' did.

Does this reflect a difference in the EO versus the OO approach to such things (the former showing more economia), or is it more of a premodern/modern difference (the former perhaps being more easygoing than the latter)?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:48:27 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
Rakovsky needs to post in this thread. Posthaste.
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »

You might have a point. If you're right, then it would be weird that:

• Rus' converted to EO (not Islam) in part because they could still drink alcohol, but
  • The OO refuses to let converts from Rastafarianism still smoke weed, despite the fact that Rastas make up a significant fraction of Jamaica's population and represent a large potential missionary constituency, just like Rus' did.

Does this reflect a difference in the EO versus the OO approach to such things (the former showing more economia), or is it more of a premodern/modern difference (the former perhaps being more easygoing than the latter)?

You have a knack for taking random bits of information and constructing some strange hypotheses. 

First of all, alcohol is not the same thing as marijuana and it's not useful to equate them in the comparison you are making.

Second, I don't think it's fair to characterise the conversion of Rus' as motivated by a desire to continue consuming alcohol.  Even if that anecdote is true, it's hardly the primary reason they embraced Christianity.

Third, you can't say "The OO refuses to let converts from Rastafarianism still smoke weed" because we are not a monolithic, single jurisdiction, but a communion of several, only one or two of which ever deal with converts from Rastafarianism.  That said, I don't know of any of our Churches approving the use of marijuana or other drugs, even if they accept the use of alcohol (and that varies). 

I don't know that you can conclude anything useful regarding an alleged preference for economy and/or leniency of EO vs OO based on the claims you are bringing to the table.  It's just a lot of bizarre hot air.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »

Clearly you don't use marijuana because this post doesn't contain a single word that is unintelligent or suggestive of mental handicaps or other deficiencies.  Not even one.  Good man.

Death to the world.

Guess I should correct myself, huh?!
For obviously marijuana is a good thing for christians to do. It doesn't "turn your brain into butter" and the people using it are just great. Geniouses. They never talked about invisible aliens, the evils of the illuminati, and how they have a personal shortcut for legitimate theosis through the abuse of determinate substances. Their intelligence and memory is never impaired by the use of the substance.
I said it and I'll say it again: marijuana is for retards and dopes. That is, its recreational use. Medical marijuana is just a big scam, and it's not because it's not effective.
You don't like it, well make a souflé of my words for a meal. You can have your sarcasm for dessert.
Death to the world dodos.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
Svartzorn are you Fabio Leite's angry little brother?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:21:54 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 11:28:49 AM »
If pot was legal in PA, I would probably have a toke.
God bless!

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »

I assumed you already had considering you want to dump Charlize Theron for Mor.   ;)

Sorry, I'm going to milk this for all it is worth! :D

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »

I assumed you already had considering you want to dump Charlize Theron for Mor.   ;)

As a point of clarification, I don't believe I ever said I would dump Charlize Theron. I'm a very cuddly person. The more participants, the better.
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »

Death to the world.

For obviously marijuana is a good thing for christians to do. It doesn't "turn your brain into butter" and the people using it are just great. Geniouses. They never talked about invisible aliens, the evils of the illuminati, and how they have a personal shortcut for legitimate theosis through the abuse of determinate substances. Their intelligence and memory is never impaired by the use of the substance.

Plenty of Orthodox come up with those and similar ideas and believe them sincerely. 

I said it and I'll say it again: marijuana is for retards and dopes. That is, its recreational use. Medical marijuana is just a big scam, and it's not because it's not effective.
You don't like it, well make a souflé of my words for a meal. You can have your sarcasm for dessert.

It's not that I don't "like" your opposition to marijuana, I just think your way of expressing it undermines it. 

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
Svartzorn are you Fabio Leite's angry little brother?

:)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

As a point of clarification, I don't believe I ever said I would dump Charlize Theron. I'm a very cuddly person. The more participants, the better.

For the record, I would oppose kicking her out of our group as well.  I'm also cuddly.  Not everyone appreciates that, but I'm glad the three of us do.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »

Death to the world.

Well, I don't fit any of those descriptions. Granted, I haven't smoked in many years now. And the people I knew who smoked it as well were a mixed bunch, dumb and brilliant. You're taking shortcuts to judge people just because you don't like others vegging out on a substance, which more Americans do with a beer or glass of wine in the evening. The people who I know who smoked weed are the types of people who delivered countless babies, know four or more languages, professionally edit film for news crews and make their own movies via their own personal funding, get degrees in financing which is just as hard as getting an accounting degree in business, etc. Do you do or know how to do any of these things? If not, then I would be just as reasonable to wager that we are far smarter than you can ever hope to be. And by just as reasonable I mean not reasonable at all.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
The people who I know who smoked weed are the types of people who delivered countless babies, know four or more languages, professionally edit film for news crews and make their own movies via their own personal funding, get degrees in financing which is just as hard as getting an accounting degree in business, etc.

Dopes and retards.  Balls.  Death to the world.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
The people who I know who smoked weed are the types of people who delivered countless babies, know four or more languages, professionally edit film for news crews and make their own movies via their own personal funding, get degrees in financing which is just as hard as getting an accounting degree in business, etc.

Dopes and retards.  Balls.  Death to the world.

lol

Offline Charles Martel

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
"Yea, well, that's like......your opinion man"

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.