OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:26:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Obednitsa" or "Dry Liturgy"  (Read 3791 times) Average Rating: 0
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« on: August 02, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »

For our liturgical experts, in the 1950's, specifically at a military base, it was normal on Sundays for the orthodox chaplain to serve what was sometimes referred to as the "dry liturgy" or "obednitsa" in Slavonic.  What ever happened to this sort of substitute for the Divine Liturgy.I think this service was more common in Rusyn congregations.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »

B,

I don't know why a priest would serve this service at all unless lack of proper liturgical items forced him.  A bishop could bless a deacon to give Holy Communion at such a service if need be. The Antiochians utilize this service in this way.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »

B,

I don't know why a priest would serve this service at all unless lack of proper liturgical items forced him.ÂÂ  A bishop could bless a deacon to give Holy Communion at such a service if need be. The Antiochians utilize this service in this way.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Are you sure?  In the AOA, Deacons will serve Communion consecrated that day on regular liturgy days - and along side another priest who is serving.  They don't do anything like what bergschlawiner is describing.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »

In the AOA, Deacons will serve Communion consecrated that day on regular liturgy days - and along side another priest who is serving.  They don't do anything like what bergschlawiner is describing.

I've seen both the Antiochians and the OCA having deacons serve communion at a Typika service in the absence of a priest.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 12:05:20 PM »

I've seen both the Antiochians and the OCA having deacons serve communion at a Typika service in the absence of a priest.

Interesting...
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 12:58:20 PM »

They can serve communion, though it has been consecrated previously by a priest, its not getting consecrated by the deacon, he's just doing his job distributing the Gifts...

Qui cantat, bis orat
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »

For our liturgical experts, in the 1950's, specifically at a military base, it was normal on Sundays for the orthodox chaplain to serve what was sometimes referred to as the "dry liturgy" or "obednitsa" in Slavonic.ÂÂ  What ever happened to this sort of substitute for the Divine Liturgy.I think this service was more common in Rusyn congregations.

Our parish, from time to time, has used the Obednitsa service, when the priest was away.  Our priest does a rather "fuller" version on Pascha.  At midnight we have the traditional services and in the morning for those with children and some of the elderly, who can not travel at night he does Obednitsa.  This version only omits the consecration.  Has anyone ever seen this type of Obednitsa?  I've never seen it in any service books, myself.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 01:36:26 AM »

For our liturgical experts, in the 1950's, specifically at a military base, it was normal on Sundays for the orthodox chaplain to serve what was sometimes referred to as the "dry liturgy" or "obednitsa" in Slavonic.

My first question is to ask if the Chaplain serving this was an Orthodox Priest or just a military chaplain? There are a couple of reasons for this practice to be in use in a military situation. First is timing, in some cases each group is ony given 1 hour for Chapel time and it is hard to serve the liturgy in under an hour. Second is that there are not enough Orthodox Chaplains and some may do 2 or 3 services a day but they can only serve one liturgy a day.

For some reason I think this obednitsa is different then the Typika service that is served in abstence of a priest, but I am not sure how.

Joseph
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 01:57:36 AM »

Does this refer to someone adminstering Communion from species consecrated at a previous Liturgy (in other words "Pre-Sanctified Liturgy") or a priest celebrating Litrugy with bread only, but no wine?

Proverbs 22:7
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 08:14:06 AM »

ACROD has an obednitsa service. My dad actually has a copy of the book (he's the church cantor). To my knowledge it hasn't been served in my church which is over 90 years old. As for the service itself, anyone can really serve an obednitsa, although preferably it would be someone who is on the steps to becoming a priest e.g. reader, sub deacon, deacon, etc. We don't use it when the priest is away because my church usually hires a supply priest from the Ukrainian Diocese to do the service when our priest is absent.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 03:45:35 PM »

OK, I got it now...the Typika - the Reader's Service.
Yes, our ACROD parish uses this 3-4 times a year when the priest is out of town. Our sub-deacon offers this before the closed Royal Doors. Thought it sounded familiar.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Lemko Rusyn

Faith: Православно-католицька віра нашых вітців
Jurisdiction: Русиньска ґрекокатолицька церьков свого права

Пресвятая Богородице Повчанская, спаси нас!

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 05:04:45 PM »

For our liturgical experts, in the 1950's, specifically at a military base, it was normal on Sundays for the orthodox chaplain to serve what was sometimes referred to as the "dry liturgy" or "obednitsa" in Slavonic.  What ever happened to this sort of substitute for the Divine Liturgy.I think this service was more common in Rusyn congregations.

Obidnycja is still served in some OCA congregations in upstate PA, where the priest has charge of several parishes.  In English they tend to call it "Pro-Liturgy".  I believe its purpose was to allow the priest to sort of serve Liturgy (and allow the people to receive Communion) in multiple places without violating the "1 liturgy per priest per church per Sunday" rule.

The Bokšaj/Malynyč prostopinije book contains music specially for the obidnycja service, so it's something that was practiced in the "old country" (by Uniats, no less!).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:06:03 PM by Lemko Rusyn » Logged
AGGreen

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »

B,

I don't know why a priest would serve this service at all unless lack of proper liturgical items forced him.  A bishop could bless a deacon to give Holy Communion at such a service if need be. The Antiochians utilize this service in this way.

Fr. Deacon Lance

***The Obednitsa is often used in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of Johnstown, PA (Church of Constantinople) when the priest is away on Sunday for good cause. In my parish, Father leaves consecrated elements for our Deacon to use to distribute communion during the "reader's service."

Orthodox Church and Bible Study Links
http://aggreen.net/orth_links/orthlink.html
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

Thanks. NOW I understand.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

In this part of the world "Obyednya" is another name for the DL (to be frankly, most popular among the indigenous).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:51:17 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: