Author Topic: Romfea - Former Archimandrite married (a) man in Boston!  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Romfea - Former Archimandrite married (a) man in Boston!
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Former Archimandrite of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Mr. John Hairopoulos, who left the priesthood before about nine years, married man Saturday, January 9, 2016.  (tr. Google Translate)

http://www.romfea.gr/oikoumeniko-patriarxeio-ts/arxiepiskopi-amerikis/6022-proin-arximandritis-pantreutike-me-andra-sti-bostoni
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:09:23 PM by Mor Ephrem »
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Romfea - Former Archimandrite married (a) man in Boston!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
Former Archimandrite of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Mr. John Hairopoulos, who left the priesthood before about nine years, married man Saturday, January 9, 2016.  (tr. Google Translate)

http://www.romfea.gr/oikoumeniko-patriarxeio-ts/arxiepiskopi-amerikis/6022-proin-arximandritis-pantreutike-me-andra-sti-bostoni

This is most stupid thing I have ever heard.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »

As least he had the decency to leave the priesthood for a while before this.  I know one case where a priest went from monk to bride in rather short order...    :'(
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »

As least he had the decency to leave the priesthood for a while before this.  I know one case where a priest went from monk to bride in rather short order...    :'(

Me too.

Yes, I do real Theology

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
Thank God for those content with mere cohabitation.  The church of Christ would run out of archimandrites and bishops otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:03:16 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »

Once he give a vow for monasticism he can't return to the life in the world.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:41:13 PM by Indocern »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:18 PM »
Thank God for those content with merely cohabitation.  The church of Christ would run out of arcimandrites and bishops otherwise
saucy
God bless!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
In what manner is this "Christian News"?

A rather expansive definition of the term to be sure.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »

OO proxy war
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »

OO proxy war
;D

that did make me LOL!
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »
Thank God for those content with merely cohabitation.  The church of Christ would run out of arcimandrites and bishops otherwise

It is inappropriate to insult the hierarchy of the Orthodox Church is such a blatant way, especially here in the General Forum.  I am issuing a 20% warning.

- Father Giryus, Section Moderator
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »

Perhaps this is best discussed in another thread, but I think this complaint gets raised a lot and it often seems to be saying "In this thread, we are discussing something I don't care to discuss/prefer to ignore". 

On a forum which discusses Orthodox Christianity, it's difficult for me to understand how a story about

a) a former Orthodox cleric who
b) entered into a civil marriage with another man and
c) continues, based on the information presented, to be a member in good standing while
d) being publicly congratulated by Orthodox clerics and other not-so-invisible members of a Church which technically opposes such marriages

does not meet the minimum requirements for "Christian News". 

I did not start the thread because I want to tar and feather the newly married couple, but it is a news item picked up by other sites and involves a number of issues which are related to a particular Church and its life, as well as the Church considered more broadly.  I don't see why the topic should be tarred and feathered.   

Yes, I do real Theology

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
Many years!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:09:48 AM »

Perhaps this is best discussed in another thread, but I think this complaint gets raised a lot and it often seems to be saying "In this thread, we are discussing something I don't care to discuss/prefer to ignore". 

On a forum which discusses Orthodox Christianity, it's difficult for me to understand how a story about

a) a former Orthodox cleric who
b) entered into a civil marriage with another man and
c) continues, based on the information presented, to be a member in good standing while
d) being publicly congratulated by Orthodox clerics and other not-so-invisible members of a Church which technically opposes such marriages

does not meet the minimum requirements for "Christian News". 

I did not start the thread because I want to tar and feather the newly married couple, but it is a news item picked up by other sites and involves a number of issues which are related to a particular Church and its life, as well as the Church considered more broadly.  I don't see why the topic should be tarred and feathered.   
The examples of this that I saw were saddening. It is very shameful.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:18:46 AM by Antonis »
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 02:18:24 AM »

Me too.

Former classmate?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:10 AM »

OO proxy war
;D
that did make me LOL!
How is it an OO proxy war?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
Mor, I agree that it was inappropriate for his former colleagues to publicly congratulate him, assuming the quotes are accurate. But if we are to "hate the sin, but love the sinner", as the saying goes ... I would ask what should one do with respect to friends and colleagues who stray openly from the teachings of the Church? Shun them? Curse them?  Condemn them? or pray for their salvation and well being??  The google translation was somewhat ambiguous about his status, or lack thereof in the church today as a laicized former priest so I won't speculate on those points, but again without more sourced information, I think little can be added to the issue of this man and the church. ( For the record, I was taught - and honor that teaching - that his actions would have precluded him from being an active communicant in the Church.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:52:21 PM by podkarpatska »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
Mor, I agree that it was inappropriate for his former colleagues to publicly congratulate him, assuming the quotes are accurate. But if we are to "hate the sin, but love the sinner", as the saying goes ... I would ask what should one do with respect to friends and colleagues who stray openly from the teachings of the Church? Shun them? Curse them?  Condemn them? or pray for their salvation and well being??  The google translation was somewhat ambiguous about his status, or lack thereof in the church today as a laicized former priest so I won't speculate on those points, but again without more sourced information, I think little can be added to the issue of this man and the church. ( For the record, I was taught - and honor that teaching - that his actions would have precluded him from being an active communicant in the Church.)

All of these questions, important though they are, go beyond what I was addressing in my comment to you; namely, that this topic meets my understanding of the criteria for "Christian News" vis a vis the forum rules.

Regarding the questions you raise, I'm not sure what to do regarding those "who stray openly from the teachings of the Church".  Cursing or condemning people is neither legitimate nor productive and should be excluded entirely. 

We could say similar things about shunning, but IMO we have to define what it means.  I don't think people should be shunned in the sense that we go out of our way to ignore them, exclude them totally from our common life, or even be rude or dismissive, preach at them, stigmatise them, etc.  So what are the options available to us?  We might say that people who stray openly, knowingly, and unrepentantly are able to join us in prayer and participate in many aspects of community life while affirming that there are certain things that are not open to them according to the teaching and tradition of the Church.  That's always going to look like "shunning" to some.  Or we can go out of our way to publicly congratulate people who are straying openly, knowingly, and unrepentantly and involve them in all aspects of community life, even against the teaching and tradition of the Church, as if it's no big deal and we escape the charge of shunning at the expense of other non-negotiables.  No matter what, something is going to give.

Prayer for the salvation and well being of our fellow men and women is always appropriate.  Love is always appropriate.  But certain situations are always going to be messy as we struggle with how to balance all the non-negotiables in the way that is most conducive to the well being and salvation of all concerned, which is why "negotiating" is always tempting. 

Yes, I do real Theology

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
  • "Headless" is not a big deal, because Jesus IS.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: G.O.A. of N. America
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:56 PM »
I don't think I had ever met John while I lived in Boston with my ex near Holy Cross Seminary. But certainly he would have been around the scene. I have, however, met Tony Vrame. Tony always had a very welcoming, open nature.

"Congratulate".........that's not what I would feel would be right; and i feel that way when I encounter homosexual couples who have been together a long time in public for many years.

I never call this kind of arrangement "marriage", either; I always call it Same Sex Union, because the State Law does not recognise what Sacramental Marriage is or isn't.

I think John found a way out of the pressure on him at first, but then gradually slid down the path more and more each year that led him to find a spiritual home with the Episcopalians mentioned in the article. It's probably embracing their ideals that has redefined his view on what the Sacrament of Marriage is. And that's truly a loss.
It aalmost sounds as if he's taken "Christ the Bridegroom" slogan to the max by marrying the person he adores. Literally. Which is Amartiya (missing the mark.)

*sigh*

Beauty Old yet ever New;
Eternal Voice and inward Word.
But above all things -- Truth beareth away the Victory.
(Whitman)

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 01:41:12 AM »
I don't think I had ever met John while I lived in Boston with my ex near Holy Cross Seminary. But certainly he would have been around the scene. I have, however, met Tony Vrame. Tony always had a very welcoming, open nature.

"Congratulate".........that's not what I would feel would be right; and i feel that way when I encounter homosexual couples who have been together a long time in public for many years.

I never call this kind of arrangement "marriage", either; I always call it Same Sex Union, because the State Law does not recognise what Sacramental Marriage is or isn't.

I think John found a way out of the pressure on him at first, but then gradually slid down the path more and more each year that led him to find a spiritual home with the Episcopalians mentioned in the article. It's probably embracing their ideals that has redefined his view on what the Sacrament of Marriage is. And that's truly a loss.
It aalmost sounds as if he's taken "Christ the Bridegroom" slogan to the max by marrying the person he adores. Literally. Which is Amartiya (missing the mark.)

*sigh*
While he does interact with the Episcopalians, the article says that he also regularly attends and communes at an Orthodox church.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
  • "Headless" is not a big deal, because Jesus IS.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: G.O.A. of N. America
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 02:24:31 AM »

*sigh*
While he does interact with the Episcopalians, the article says that he also regularly attends and communes at an Orthodox church.

Right - but John is doing the Tango with 2 places whose ideologies are right around Episcopalian in nature. The key word there is "an", as in "where is this orthodox church he communes at that they are talking about." Is it EP? Not EP but Autocephalous, and communing cohabiting homosexuals like the one in my hometown does?

Those same kind of generic statements have been made about (now) aetheist Frank Schaeffer, who takes communion at "a" Greek Orthodox church in California. Ok, whose Orthodox Temple is at fault, here? Ours, or a hybrid?

Is Fr. Robert Arida still serving in Boston? I've actually met Fr. Arida in the past, and attended some of his services in the OCA.Having lived there, I can attest......some of the wierdest things do come out of Boston these days.

You can't commune a person in good conscience if that person professes openly that they are going to continue in their sin because of some type of esoteric feeling because of that sin. You have to do the right thing and not commune them in order for them to heal properly.

Even when there were months this past year when I involuntarily could not take communion for like, 3 months (because I had to scramble for work to stay alive) -- I was left in a void that really brought my thinking processes around as to who I really was inside, and what deficiencies were left, even though I didn't necessarily merit not receiving communion in my own eyes. So no communion (if it's God's will) really IS a healing thing under proper circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:40:26 AM by Seraffa »
Beauty Old yet ever New;
Eternal Voice and inward Word.
But above all things -- Truth beareth away the Victory.
(Whitman)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
Thank God for those content with mere cohabitation.  The church of Christ would run out of archimandrites and bishops otherwise.

"For of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:30:30 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »
Axios!
Proverbs 22:7

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
Axios!
Anaxios, not to mention To'evah.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth