Author Topic: "And with Your Spirit"  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
"And with Your Spirit"
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:33:44 AM »
After the priest intones, "Peace be unto all," why do we respond, "And with your spirit?"
It's such an odd turn of phrase, and I've never heard an explanation.
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Biding my time as a Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Till Spirit moves me to be a Catechumen
Re: "And with Your Spirit"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
I was once told it was because the priest's spirit is going to be mystically united with Christ's so he may preform the Holy Mysteries. His body doesn't unite with Christ, so emphasis is placed on the spirit.

However, I must add I was told this by a Catholic priest during a class on the Catholic Mass, but the exact same phrase is used in about the same context, so I'm assuming it's applicable to Orthodoxy.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Dark Night of the Soul.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
I once had to laugh when someone quite seriously represented that "and with your spirit" can be understood as namaste.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
    • The Visible Narrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
I was once told it was because the priest's spirit is going to be mystically united with Christ's so he may preform the Holy Mysteries. His body doesn't unite with Christ, so emphasis is placed on the spirit.

However, I must add I was told this by a Catholic priest during a class on the Catholic Mass, but the exact same phrase is used in about the same context, so I'm assuming it's applicable to Orthodoxy.
Yeah, one of the recent changes in the English translation of the RC mass, was to replace, "and also with you," with, "and with your spirit," so it's pretty easy to find Roman Catholic discussion of this online, but, like you, I don't know how their explanation jibes with the Orthodox explanation.

Incidentally, I attended a Roman Catholic mass (for the first time in several years) while on my way to becoming Orthodox and I was really surprised to hear that phrase, since the first time I'd encountered it was in the Orthodox Liturgy. Maybe it's a first step toward reconciliation.  8)
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »
"And with your spirit" is still inadequete; context is lost without the second personal pronoun.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
    • The Visible Narrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
"And with your spirit" is still inadequete; context is lost without the second personal pronoun.
Huh?

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »

eh...no I don't think that's the reason.  That's putting an unnecessary dichotomy between man's spirit and body.  "And also with your spirit" I think would mean almost the same thing "and also with you".  The emphasis on the spirit is on the person, and how the person directs His whole self (body and soul) spiritually with Christ.  So I don't think it's correct to say "only the spirit" of the priest is united to Christ.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
After the priest intones, "Peace be unto all," why do we respond, "And with your spirit?"

After the priest say peace to you the people in our church don't say nothing only make the sign of the cross.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:53:49 PM by Indocern »

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Biding my time as a Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Till Spirit moves me to be a Catechumen
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 06:49:39 PM »

eh...no I don't think that's the reason.  That's putting an unnecessary dichotomy between man's spirit and body.  "And also with your spirit" I think would mean almost the same thing "and also with you".  The emphasis on the spirit is on the person, and how the person directs His whole self (body and soul) spiritually with Christ.  So I don't think it's correct to say "only the spirit" of the priest is united to Christ.
As I had stated, this was the Catholic explanation, or at least the one I received from a Catholic priest. Wasn't sure if it was correct but I thought I'd add what I'd heard.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »
What do the people mean when they respond “and with your spirit”?
The expression et cum spiritu tuo is only addressed to an ordained minister. Some scholars have suggested that spiritu refers to the gift of the spirit he received at ordination. In their response, the people assure the priest of the same divine assistance of God’s spirit and, more specifically, help for the priest to use the charismatic gifts given to him in ordination and in so doing to fulfill his prophetic function in the Church.

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/roman-missal/and-with-your-spirit.cfm
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
Huh?

It should be "and with thy spirit."

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »
There is by the way a semantic difference between your and thy; English meeds a second personal pronoun, and thus we see ridiculous workarounds like "you all."

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
There is by the way a semantic difference between your and thy; English meeds a second personal pronoun, and thus we see ridiculous workarounds like "you all."

English has a a second personal pronoun, even two, singular and plural, that happen to be the same.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:15:25 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 12:23:10 AM »

English has a a second personal pronoun, even two, singular and plural, that happen to be the same.

If you're in the south, y'all is preferred to distinguish from the singular "you".
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »
I once had to laugh when someone quite seriously represented that "and with your spirit" can be understood as namaste.

Was it dattaswami?

Namaste means, "I bow to the divine in you".
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 01:38:47 AM »

If you're in the south, y'all is preferred to distinguish from the singular "you".

Sounds better than "youse" too.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 01:19:16 PM »

Was it dattaswami?

Namaste means, "I bow to the divine in you".

Namaste, St. John the Forerunner's first words ;)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »

I've heard it both ways" And with " and "And to" your Spirit and Im not sure of which one is correct.