Author Topic: Relief Icons  (Read 621 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Relief Icons
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
They're a bit too small to see in videos. Most on the walls are very reasonable, though.

Here: http://parafia-swietego-jerzego.pl/index.php?id=101&c=31

Not to mention 3d halos.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Relief Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
They're a bit too small to see in videos. Most on the walls are very reasonable, though.

Not to mention 3d halos.

I dunno, the icons themselves seem fine to me. I agree that the relief are pretty tacky, though.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »

Not to mention 3d halos.

I dunno, the icons themselves seem fine to me. I agree that the relief are pretty tacky, though.

I saw a lot of 'relief iconography' in Romania, particularly Transylvania.  It was actually much fancier than this.  Much of it looked like thickened plaster which would then be stamped with small decorations.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »

Not to mention 3d halos.

I saw a lot of 'relief iconography' in Romania, particularly Transylvania.  It was actually much fancier than this.  Much of it looked like thickened plaster which would then be stamped with small decorations.

I'm not against relief iconography per se, I just think only doing the halos is a little too flee market.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
Check the ugly one things on iconostasis that supposedly depict Apostles. Not big fan of their style of singing as well.

Just to let you know we can see the video in Finland--after a bunch of ads. The church looks quite big and well provided with icon frescoes. It was interesting to see how Polish tv covers a service.

As for the music, it sounds very much like what is sung here, though we sing almost everything other than 'Gospodin pomilui' and 'ispola eti despota' in Finnish. Most of the melodies are identical.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:00:50 AM »
Where is the 1st page of this thread?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »

Back where you started it.  I split it when it became a discussion about iconography.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »

Back where you started it.  I split it when it became a discussion about iconography.

Are you posting from within the sanctuary? Is the cherubikon really meandering today?
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”