Author Topic: Dalai Lama - I'm not reincarnating; Chinese Gov - Oh yes you are!  (Read 3825 times)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
Bought this street magazine the other day and upon reading the 2015 year in review section, came across this little nugget.

"The 14th Dalai Lama has taken an extremely frivolous and disrespectful attitude toward this issue...Decision-making power over the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, and over the end or survival of this lineage, resides in the central government of China." Zhu Weiqun, a Chinese Communist Party official, on recent comments by the Dalai Lama that maybe he just won't go and reincarnate himself this time. The government says it's not his call, but a party matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/world/asia/chinas-tensions-with-dalai-lama-spill-into-the-afterlife.html?_r=0

LOL

Is reincarnation a choice in Tibetan Buddhism?
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Dalai Lama - I'm not reincarnating; Chinese Gov - Oh yes you are!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:12:42 PM »
Bought this street magazine the other day and upon reading the 2015 year in review section, came across this little nugget.

"The 14th Dalai Lama has taken an extremely frivolous and disrespectful attitude toward this issue...Decision-making power over the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, and over the end or survival of this lineage, resides in the central government of China." Zhu Weiqun, a Chinese Communist Party official, on recent comments by the Dalai Lama that maybe he just won't go and reincarnate himself this time. The government says it's not his call, but a party matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/world/asia/chinas-tensions-with-dalai-lama-spill-into-the-afterlife.html?_r=0

LOL

Maybe he's secretly converting to Christianity!!!!    ;D
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:07 PM »
lol I heard this was a dispute for at least a couple years now. Ohh the irony a godless anti-religious ruling elite forcing a ruling religious heirarch to fullfill a traditional religious duty. LOL this like a communist party boss telling a Orthodx heirarch "ohh comrade you will be saint, and perform that miracle".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:41:36 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 01:06:12 AM »
Sounds like the makings of a Twilight Zone episode.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 01:09:53 AM »
All your incarnations are belong to us.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:28 AM »

As we speak, somewhere at a secret base in Tibet, a crack team of Chinese scientists are building an apparatus that will manipulate Karmic forces and allow for the immortal soul of the Dalai Lama to be subjected to Communist control, by reincarnating himself and Mao Zedong into a single hybrid entity.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:37 AM »

That would be a really interesting one.

Of course, there could also be a feature-length drama starring Nicholas Cage and Tom Hanks searching through hidden clues in Tibetan Buddhist mandalas as they search for the Dalai Lama's reincarnated body after Chinese assassins kill the shaman who received the prophesy of his return before he could announce it at the Grand Monastery.  He turns up as infant born in a truck stop restroom in Fargo, ND, to a biracial couple hiding from drug cartel hitmen because the dad ripped them off.  Sean Connery will be cast as the pre-death Dalai Lama because of their uncanny resemblance (in the eyes of the typical Hollywood casting director, of course).

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »

Of course, there could also be a feature-length drama starring Nicholas Cage and Tom Hanks searching through hidden clues in Tibetan Buddhist mandalas as they search for the Dalai Lama's reincarnated body after Chinese assassins kill the shaman who received the prophesy of his return before he could announce it at the Grand Monastery.  He turns up as infant born in a truck stop restroom in Fargo, ND, to a biracial couple hiding from drug cartel hitmen because the dad ripped them off.  Sean Connery will be cast as the pre-death Dalai Lama because of their uncanny resemblance (in the eyes of the typical Hollywood casting director, of course).

I would say Ben Kingsley would be a better choice.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 02:01:39 AM »

Only if your a Bodhisattva.  But wouldn't this be a violation of the vow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva_vow

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 02:03:11 AM »

Only if your a Bodhisattva.  But wouldn't this be a violation of the vow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva_vow

My understanding was that one could not reincarnate without being a Bodhisattva, for example, as an Arahant.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »
The Dalai Lama has been wavering for a long time on whether his position is really good for the people of Tibet anymore and he wants to leave it up to the people, especially since the Chinese have imprisoned future Lamas before. I think he would argue that it might be a violation of the Bodhisattva vow in this case to reincarnate.

Also,
But the dispute over reincarnation has profound implications for Beijing and its hold over Tibetan areas, where protests and self-immolations have brought into focus simmering discontent.

Emphasis mine.

I think even the Lama would agree that Chris Buckley is going to Hell for that one.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 04:34:53 PM »

If Cage was in it, it'd have to be three parts, and the first would just be the flight to Asia.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 11:19:05 PM »

I hope you somehow get a copyright on that, because that sounds just about right for Hollywood, except you forgot to insert something about gay people, maybe a gay biracial couple who had artificial insemination from the genius Nobel Laureate sperm bank in league with 23andMe designer baby program and the Dalai Lama chooses to be reincarnated to them! 

If that's not a stamp of approval for gay superiority, I don't know what is.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »
I'd reincarnate as the Dali Lama, but I don't want to go to hell.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 12:59:41 AM »
Actually, I'm beginning to believe this is all being rigged by Dorje Shugden supporters...

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:48 AM »

I hope you somehow get a copyright on that, because that sounds just about right for Hollywood, except you forgot to insert something about gay people, maybe a gay biracial couple who had artificial insemination from the genius Nobel Laureate sperm bank in league with 23andMe designer baby program and the Dalai Lama chooses to be reincarnated to them! 

I'm not sure what movies you're watching, but I've watched every gay movie on Netflix and of all the movies I've seen, it's still a slim majority that features a gay character, let alone a gay couple.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 02:55:10 AM »

I'm not sure what movies you're watching, but I've watched every gay movie on Netflix and of all the movies I've seen, it's still a slim majority that features a gay character, let alone a gay couple.

So 'gay movies' on Netflix have a slim majority of gay couples?  Doesn't seem logical. 

Not a constant television viewer here, but it seems like nearly every series has to have the token gay person now, and it's not just pc euro productions anymore. 

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:53 AM »
and of all the movies I've seen

Note the word "all."  Not all of the movies I watch are gay; I've just seen all the gay ones.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 10:06:14 AM »

Have you watched...
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 10:16:47 AM »

LOL

Sort of. Yes. Sufficiently advanced Bodhisattvas can direct their mind-streams to another body. It's an extremely politicized process with the higher tulkus (See the Karmapa dispute for example). The 5th Dalai Lama actually forbade the Shamarpa from reincarnating after he backed the other team in the civil war (the current Shamarpa is the first incarnation in centuries).

Since the Dalai Lama's main role was as theocrat of Tibet (the Gelug sect's head is actually an appointed position) the question of "Why bother?" naturally arises. My bets are on the Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje being the next unifying Tibetan figurehead after this Dalai Lama passes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:17:18 AM by Iconodule »
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

Note the word "all."  Not all of the movies I watch are gay; I've just seen all the gay ones.
"When two DVDs love each other very much..."
God bless!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 10:40:05 AM »
Of course, another possibility for Tibet's supreme lama would be our current incarnation of the great Nyingma terton Chungdrag Dorje:

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

It can be rather difficult to develop a sexual identity for a character in the span of 2 hours, particularly if the movie is not about sexual identity. I think it is pretty safe to say that in TV shows where character development is done over a number of episodes and seasons, there are almost always several gay individuals or couples in the show. Sometimes it is well done like Modern Family, and other times, it seems like the writers just decided to throw in a random gay person for pandering purposes.
God bless!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 10:54:37 AM »

LOL

Sort of. Yes. Sufficiently advanced Bodhisattvas can direct their mind-streams to another body. It's an extremely politicized process with the higher tulkus (See the Karmapa dispute for example). The 5th Dalai Lama actually forbade the Shamarpa from reincarnating after he backed the other team in the civil war (the current Shamarpa is the first incarnation in centuries).

Since the Dalai Lama's main role was as theocrat of Tibet (the Gelug sect's head is actually an appointed position) the question of "Why bother?" naturally arises. My bets are on the Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje being the next unifying Tibetan figurehead after this Dalai Lama passes.

Wow, I'm impressed. Are you Tibetan?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »

"When two DVDs love each other very much..."

Reminds me of some classmates I had back in high school who had very bad attitudes. They were always saying things like "this textbook is gay", "this class is so gay", etc. The teacher's response was always "Oh really? I didn't know that textbook was in a relationship with another textbook of the same sex!"
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

LOL

Wow, I'm impressed. Are you Tibetan?

No, I used to practice a form of Tibetan Buddhism.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:55 PM »
Of course, another possibility for Tibet's supreme lama would be our current incarnation of the great Nyingma terton Chungdrag Dorje:

After...

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 03:37:56 PM »
Not so fast.

If you drink enough vodka, you can achieve a certain kind of immortality.  It is usually called 'embalming.'

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
Does anyone seriously think the petty concept of the nation-state could contain Steven Seagal?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »
Reincarnate as the Buddha? ...