Author Topic: Controversy around Elder Ephraim of Arizona?  (Read 24604 times)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: Controversy around Elder Ephraim of Arizona?
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Alas that’s a bit simplistic.

Sort of like saying ‘surely the Catholic Church wouldn’t be successful if there are priests who molest children in it’

The success of something can be unrelated to an abuse that happens.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Saxon

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »

Sort of like saying ‘surely the Catholic Church wouldn’t be successful if there are priests who molest children in it’

Have you read the accusations? Do you believe monks are being tortured and buried alive at St. Anthony's?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
I have had good experiences briefly visiting Elder Ephraim's monasteries, but there is one thing that strikes me now as a bit odd. My second day visiting one of them, a monk not much older than me essentially offered to be my spiritual father. He didn't know me, I didn't know him. At the time I was surprised but pleased that I could so easily acquire a spiritual father- I had, of course, read all kinds of stuff about how important and beneficial it is to have one. Circumstances arose at home, however, so that I had to leave early and there would be no time for any in-depth consultation with him. It's possible that I really missed a great opportunity but, thinking about it now, it's probably good it didn't happen. I think there needs to be some time taken for discernment when it comes to spiritual fatherhood, for both parties. It's not something to be seized or pounced upon. I don't know if this approach can be taken as representative of the monastery or Elder Ephraim's network as a whole. When I read this story I am inclined to believe it, and that this way of doing things is very easily prone to abuse, even if it doesn't always lead there. I think a lot of the criticisms of these monasteries miss the mark, but the elder-guruism that is promoted, not just for monks but for everyone, is dangerous even if often well-intended.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

Have you read the accusations? Do you believe monks are being tortured and buried alive at St. Anthony's?

Now did I say that.....?

What I said was....you cannot 'write off' accusations using 'but he wouldnt have been able to accomplish a whole chain of monasteries.......'  logic
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »

Now did I say that.....?

What I said was....you cannot 'write off' accusations using 'but he wouldnt have been able to accomplish a whole chain of monasteries.......'  logic

No, but you've implied that there might be some legitimacy to the claim of abuses at the monastery. What I said in my original post is that "abuse" is subjective - extreme penances and Athonite monasticism might appear extreme to Americans, but it's unlikely anything is happening there that hasn't been happening daily on Mount Athos for a millennium.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:09 AM »

Now did I say that.....?

No, but you've implied that there might be some legitimacy to the claim of abuses at the monastery. What I said in my original post is that "abuse" is subjective - extreme penances and Athonite monasticism might appear extreme to Americans, but it's unlikely anything is happening there that hasn't been happening daily on Mount Athos for a millennium.

Nope Nope and Nope...I did not imply anything about the accusations..

However, you did...

I don't know much about ..... Elder Ephraim has managed to build a thriving monastic community in North America, and it's unlikely his vision would have succeeded had these accusation held any water.

All I have said was 'hinging the truth or non truth of the accusations on his success' is an error......as he could have succeeded and had abuses...or be non successful and had no abuses....

the two things are -unrelated-....

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »
I have had good experiences briefly visiting Elder Ephraim's monasteries, but there is one thing that strikes me now as a bit odd. My second day visiting one of them, a monk not much older than me essentially offered to be my spiritual father. He didn't know me, I didn't know him. At the time I was surprised but pleased that I could so easily acquire a spiritual father- I had, of course, read all kinds of stuff about how important and beneficial it is to have one. Circumstances arose at home, however, so that I had to leave early and there would be no time for any in-depth consultation with him. It's possible that I really missed a great opportunity but, thinking about it now, it's probably good it didn't happen. I think there needs to be some time taken for discernment when it comes to spiritual fatherhood, for both parties. It's not something to be seized or pounced upon. I don't know if this approach can be taken as representative of the monastery or Elder Ephraim's network as a whole. When I read this story I am inclined to believe it, and that this way of doing things is very easily prone to abuse, even if it doesn't always lead there. I think a lot of the criticisms of these monasteries miss the mark, but the elder-guruism that is promoted, not just for monks but for everyone, is dangerous even if often well-intended.

I was skeptical of that blog post, given the witch hunt-like climate of sexual misconduct hysteria currently permeating popular discourse, and then I scrolled down to the comments section. There's a post from someone claiming to be Scott Nevins' father who literally condemns the entire GOAA  as a Jim Jones-style cult. I'd take any material from that site with a large grain of salt.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »

Good insights. I agree with your assessment.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »

I was skeptical of that blog post, given the witch hunt-like climate of sexual misconduct hysteria currently permeating popular discourse, and then I scrolled down to the comments section. There's a post from someone claiming to be Scott Nevins' father who literally condemns the entire GOAA  as a Jim Jones-style cult. I'd take any material from that site with a large grain of salt.

Ah yes, the comments section, sure gauge of a site’s credibility.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2018, 09:29:33 AM »

Ah yes, the comments section, sure gauge of a site’s credibility.

It's certainly a gauge of who frequents the site, and when one of them is the person leading a crusade against Elder Ephraim, and, by extension of his assertions, the entire GOA, then there's an issue.

Offline Praise be to God

• Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
St. Nektarios Monastery still has this up on their website:

http://www.stnektariosmonastery.org/evolution.php

Despite this sort of stuff, I do like the monastery very much.

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned" Romans 5:12

To agree with the theory of evolution by mutation and natural selection, that is that man arose through the DEATH and reproduction of other animals and random chance leading to the creation of a godlike being, is directly in opposition to what St. Paul tells us.

I hope that anyone who thinks evolution is compatible with Christian belief will reconsider.

Please read the book Genetic Entropy

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
The link no longer exists on their server.

Offline Jude1:3

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2020, 09:50:42 AM »
 I just wanted to give opinion on this.

One thing people must remember is that when someone becomes an Orthodox Christian, starts trying to tread into the deepest spiritual waters, researching The Aerial Toll Houses, Reading The Philokalia, and living a Holy Life they are probably going to get bombarded with demonic attacks.

I really believe that is what happened to Scott Nevins.

Saint Athanasius specifically mentions how Saint Anthony was attacked by the devil and that even onlookers saw the struggle which was going on between them.

Scott Nevins was being tormented in his thoughts by the devil / demons because he was trying to live a holy life and be a monk. And if you want to get Really spiritually weird about it the times that he said Elder Ephraim said and did things to him might not have even really been Elder Ephraim but a demonic doppelgänger . Sounds ridiculous right ?  Well, there are instances of things like this happening and it is mentioned in this video  (From the teachings of St. Paisios the Athonite and from the life of St. Theodore of Volokolamsk) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wakvSy6MyhM&feature=emb_title

I honestly just think that he was being messed with by demonic forces.
"By The Sign Of The Cross All Magic Is Stopped, And All Witchcraft Brought To Nothing" .....
(On The Incarnation Of The Word - 31)
• Saint Athanasius of Alexandria (296-373 A.D.)

To the masons, the occultists, spiritualists, sorcerers, and all who do not believe in one God, but honour the demons, who do not humbly surrender their life to God, but strive to learn the future through the sorcerous invocation of demons, ANATHEMA!

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic/sometimes skeptic
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2020, 11:43:59 AM »
Ah yes, well, that would be a great defense for an abuser, wouldn't it? "It wasn't me who did that to you -- it was my demonic doppelganger!"
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
The link no longer exists on their server.
Something similar is here
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

• Elder
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2020, 11:54:53 AM »
Ah yes, well, that would be a great defense for an abuser, wouldn't it? "It wasn't me who did that to you -- it was my demonic doppelganger!"

Oh, I understand exactly what you mean.

I'm actually dealing with some stuff right now that I might mention in my other thread on people using mind games and psychology mixed with witchcraft to abuse me. So I know that it happens.

I'm just saying that it might actually be a possibility that there was some strange demonic torment / deception that was happening causing some of this stuff.

Really there are any number of things that could have been the cause. People forget that sometimes evil people can become monks, become priests, become a Bishop, make it into the Patriarch etc.

Maybe it was a combination of evil people and demonic spirits messing with him.
"By The Sign Of The Cross All Magic Is Stopped, And All Witchcraft Brought To Nothing" .....

To the masons, the occultists, spiritualists, sorcerers, and all who do not believe in one God, but honour the demons, who do not humbly surrender their life to God, but strive to learn the future through the sorcerous invocation of demons, ANATHEMA!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
Throw in mental illness for funsies.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

• Elder
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »

Demons and evil people love to give the canned response of "mental illness" to hide behind so they can keep tormenting people.

It's really sick. These evil people synergistically work with demons to torture good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5fve7ssS4&feature=emb_title

This video talks about what I'm referring to as in people using hidden methods to harass, persecute and influence us by secretly using Dark / Weaponized Psychology but pretending like they are not.

(By Elder Justin Parvu of blessed memory)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:22:29 PM by Jude1:3 »

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2020, 12:17:49 PM »

Demons and evil people love to give the canned response of "mental illness" to hide behind so they can keep tormenting people.

It's really sick. These evil people synergistically work with demons to torture good people.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

• Elder
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »

But not always though.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »

But not always though.

Sometimes.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2020, 01:38:54 AM »
This is exactly why people with mental illness are hesitant to seek out treatment -- because there are still people, in 2020, who think it's all caused by demons or witches.
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2020, 05:54:47 AM »
This is exactly why people with mental illness are hesitant to seek out treatment -- because there are still people, in 2020, who think it's all caused by demons or witches.

The general denial and disbelief in the demonic by modern(ist) Christians is an abominable heresy far more damaging.
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

• Elder
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2020, 07:24:25 AM »

Occultists love playing the mental illness card because it masks their hidden nefarious agendas.

It's actually used as an attack on their victims.

Sorcerers and witches are 100% Real even in 2020.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,77373.0.html

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, Sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars Shall Have Their Part In The Lake Which Burns With Fire And Brimstone, which is the second death."
• Revelation 21:8

• Athanasius of Alexandria  (296-373 A.D.)
"By The Sign Of The Cross All Magic Is Stopped, and All Witchcraft Brought To Nothing"

• Athanasius of Alexandria - Life of St Anthony - par 78 (296-373 A.D.)
"But we by the mention of Christ crucified put all demons to flight, whom you fear as if they were gods. Where The Sign Of The Cross Is, Magic Is Weak And Witchcraft Has No Strength."

• Elder
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:13 AM »

The general denial and disbelief in the demonic by modern(ist) Christians is an abominable heresy far more damaging.

^^^ This ^^^

I agree.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
You think it's all or nothing.  Acknowledgment that illnesses exist is not a denial of the existance of the spiritual realm.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »
You think it's all or nothing.  Acknowledgment that illnesses exist is not a denial of the existance of the spiritual realm.
You put it much more succinctly than I could.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

• Elder
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2020, 09:50:39 AM »

Evil people love using psychology abuse others.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »

So what are you doing?

• Elder
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »

So what are you doing?

Giving information.

What are you doing ?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:06:32 AM by Jude1:3 »

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »
See what I mean? Nowhere have I said the demonic doesn't exist. What I'm saying is it should never be the first "go-to" assumption when someone is exhibiting signs of mental illness -- which ALSO exists.

But you don't want to hear that -- maybe it's not quite as exciting, eh?

• Elder
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2020, 10:24:59 AM »
See what I mean? Nowhere have I said the demonic doesn't exist. What I'm saying is it should never be the first "go-to" assumption when someone is exhibiting signs of mental illness -- which ALSO exists.

But you don't want to hear that -- maybe it's not quite as exciting, eh?

There's no issue.

It's just my opinion.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »

So what are you doing?

Giving information.

What are you doing ?

Questioning your motives.

Does mental illness exist?

• Elder
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »

So what are you doing?

Giving information.

What are you doing ?

Motives for what exactly ?

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »

So what are you doing?

Giving information.

What are you doing ?

• Elder
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »

So what are you doing?

Giving information.

What are you doing ?

I sent you a PM.

I've given my opinion.

I'll stop posting in this thread now so I don't offend anyone.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
Thread locked pending review.
OCnet is KGB.
I hail Mor Ephrem as our Secretary General.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite