OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:07:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English Help!  (Read 1031 times) Average Rating: 0
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« on: July 29, 2005, 03:34:46 AM »

This is sort of embarrassing asking help how to pronounce my native language but...

I'm reading an interesting collection of Pre-schism Brittish saints and the names are incredibly dificult in some cases.  Is there a general set of rules for prounouncing Anglo-Saxon names of this era?  In my head I sort of just Germanize them for some reason, since it sounds kind of neat, but I assume this is incorrect.  Are there any general rules for this sort of thing?

Thanks!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:37:35 AM »

This is sort of embarrassing asking help how to pronounce my native language but...

I'm reading an interesting collection of Pre-schism Brittish saints and the names are incredibly dificult in some cases.ÂÂ  Is there a general set of rules for prounouncing Anglo-Saxon names of this era?ÂÂ  In my head I sort of just Germanize them for some reason, since it sounds kind of neat, but I assume this is incorrect.ÂÂ  Are there any general rules for this sort of thing?

Thanks!

If you're looking for Anglo-Saxon Pronunciations you can find a fairly comprehensive list of rules:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/lessons/pronunc1.htm (consonants)
http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/lessons/pronunc2.htm (vowels and dipthongs)

However, generally these names will be pronounced using modern english pronunciations, vowel shifts do not tend to leave names alone (and Grimm's Law doesn't leave anything untouched).

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 11:04:29 AM »

I'm reading an interesting collection of Pre-schism Brittish saints and the names are incredibly dificult in some cases.ÂÂ  Is there a general set of rules for prounouncing Anglo-Saxon names of this era?ÂÂ  In my head I sort of just Germanize them for some reason, since it sounds kind of neat, but I assume this is incorrect.ÂÂ  Are there any general rules for this sort of thing?

Thanks!

What ones in particular, if I may ask?  It's not too difficult to get the idea of Old English pronunciation, as it was done then.  How modern people may, umm, deal with it, is one thing, but I like the sounds of Old and Middle English and think it's nice to try and pronounce names as the people who bore them did..   (And then there was the Great Vowel Shift)
http://alpha.furman.edu/~mmenzer/gvs/what.htm

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 04:08:49 AM »

Thanks for the links....it will take me a few days to go through them and get back here with some more specific questions.  With some of the names in the book I'm reading I know they are from Old English into Latin translated into modern English...so who knows how butchered they were in the process.  This is a time when I really appreciate how phonetic Greek is (and imagine how much more confusing English must be to a non native speaker!).   

I am finding the reading though about these saints interesting.  IMO it is good to read about a variety of saints, particularly these who aren't so widely venerated anymore.  I hear that there is a fair amount of material in Latin about pre-schism saints that has never been translated into English....if I could get ahold of such texts I could (in theory) hack out a translation.  But that is a whole diversion from this main thread.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: