Author Topic: Paging Arachne, also Opus  (Read 4415 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:29:02 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Paging Arachne, also Opus
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
Opus wears vintage babushkas? Pics or it didn't happen.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »
Opus wears vintage babushkas? Pics or it didn't happen.
Opus has a pure eye for women's fashion.
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »
Very nice.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:43:07 PM »
I noticed their lace infinity scarves quite some time ago, in my Etsy perambulations. They can be lovely, but waaaaay overpriced. Especially for something I'd be quite unlikely to ever wear.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »
Paging Yeshuaisiam.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Paging Yeshuaisiam.

Don't tempt him. Too much neck showing.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
Paging Yeshuaisiam.

Don't tempt him. Too much neck showing.

Too late for me. 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 07:49:38 PM »
Those are beautiful.  Do some cultures still wear these as a norm?   Seriously, those look normal and nice enough, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those head coverings on window display on Michigan Ave.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:55:12 PM by William T »

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
Those are beautiful.  Do some cultures still wear these as a norm?

Congregations with Slavic roots tend to encourage covering more than the Greek ones, I'm given to understand. Old Calendarists mandate veiling, although these would be far too decadently ornate for them. They're modelled after the traditional(ist) Catholic chapel veils.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »

Why is that Orthodoxy attracts the weirdest kinds of fetishists? And the more poster here writes about female modesty the more probable is he comes out with some weird sexual fetish in some other thread?

(not calling you specifically, William T, just a general observation)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:55:21 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »

Why is that Orthodoxy attracts the weirdest kinds of fetishists? And the more poster here writes about female modesty the more probable is he comes out with some weird sexual fetish in some other thread?

What?  If I said someone's dress, earing, or lipstick looked nice and I complimented it, I would be a sexual deviant?  C'mon man.  Besides, I dont know what you mean that Orthodoxy attracts sexual fetishes.  I was born Orthodox, so my preferences are pretty genetic, and as far as I know have nothing to do with hats or head coverings.  Also, people from my sito's generation wore these, though I don't know how normative it was.  Their head coverings were ugly though.  I usually associate head coverings with grandma fashion, this looks nice.  That's all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:03:19 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Terrifying that what was normal women's wear two generations ago is this generation's "fetish" (not that I believe the problem is real; just showing the implication of Mike's post).
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:30 PM »

What?  If I said someone's dress, earing, or lipstick looked nice I would be a secular deviant?  C'money man.  Besides, I dont knos what you mean that Orthodoxy attracts sexual fetishes.  I was born Orthodox, so my preferences are pretty genetic.  Also, people from my sito's generation wore these, though I don't know how normative it was.  Their head coverings were ugly though.  I usually associate head coverings with grandma fashion, this looks nice.  That's all.

I know of people that feel some attraction towards women in scarves and long skirts (for me, I prefer womans' hair and necks but I do like nice skirts) and they explain that using Pauline epistles.

Again, not sayings it's about you but I've seen that trend on OC.net and irl my sister was once almost kicked out of a pilgrimage because her skirt was 3 cm too short according to pilgrimage order service. Aftef that incident there was a time I wanted to join that pilgrimage order service to measure participants' skirts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:07:27 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
Terrifying that what was normal women's wear two generations ago is this generation's "fetish" (not that I believe the problem is real; just showing the implication of Mike's post).

Consider the source.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 08:08:51 PM »
What?  If I said someone's dress, earing, or lipstick looked nice and I complimented it, I would be a sexual deviant?

You missed all the fun...

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
What?  If I said someone's dress, earing, or lipstick looked nice and I complimented it, I would be a sexual deviant?

This is the best example.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 08:14:10 PM »

What?  If I said someone's dress, earing, or lipstick looked nice I would be a secular deviant?  C'money man.  Besides, I dont knos what you mean that Orthodoxy attracts sexual fetishes.  I was born Orthodox, so my preferences are pretty genetic.  Also, people from my sito's generation wore these, though I don't know how normative it was.  Their head coverings were ugly though.  I usually associate head coverings with grandma fashion, this looks nice.  That's all.

I know of people that feel some attraction towards women in scarves and long skirts (for me, I prefer womans' hair and necks but I do like nice skirts) and they explain that using Pauline epistles.

Again, not sayings it's about you but I've seen that trend on OC.net and irl my sister was once almost kicked out of a pilgrimage because her skirt was 3 cm too short according to pilgrimage order service. Aftef that incident there was a time I wanted to join that pilgrimage order service to measure participants' skirts.

This may be some odd cultural thing.  Some hardcore Muslims in The Levant can treat women like that (second class property).  I guess that happens in some American religions too.  You get a kind of "Puritan eye for the straight gal" fashion approach, and it essentially means everyone is in a black burka or white sack cloth.  This is probably something of a universal and fringe phenomenon that will crop up anywhere for time to time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:14:42 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »
Well, sure, anyone obsessed with instructing a woman how to package herself, in any way, is a species of fetishist. However, that has nothing to do with traditional dress per se.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »

Lol!  Was this a joke?  If not, it's written like a perfect parody.  Puritan eye indeed.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 08:18:38 PM »
Well, sure, anyone obsessed with instructing a woman how to package herself, in any way, is a species of fetishist. However, that has nothing to do with traditional dress per se.

You sure?

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »

Lol!  Was this a joke?  If not, it's written like a perfect parody.  Puritan eye indeed.

Dead serious, I can assure you.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
How dare a woman dress without my explicit permission.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
This may be inappropriate for this thread, hopefully it's not:

But if this is for people with an eye for fashion, my cousin sent me these pics:

and

It was some fashion show by Chanel.  Inspired by Byzantine fashion.  I don't think I like those center dresses on  that top row with weird shoes.  I don't think anyone could wear any of that stuff.  It still looks like it belongs in a period piece.  The bottom row looks nice though, other than that gold dress.  That looks like a period piece dress as well. 

PS:  That's St. Theodora on the mosaic.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:39:49 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »
How we have fallen.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 08:39:40 PM »

Dude, we've seen your pics. You wanna pretend a few decades ago was the height of teen aged fashion, go ahead. But don't be surprised if some of us laugh at the ironies involved.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 08:40:51 PM »

You sure?

The he believes in something we can call traditional dress without laughing marks him one for our pity rather than contempt.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »

But if this is for people with an eye for fashion, my cousin sent me these pics:

and

It was some fashion show by Chanel.  Inspired by Byzantine fashion.  I don't think I like anything on  that top row with all the dresses and weird shoes.  I don't think anyone could wear any of that stuff.  Everything still looks like it belongs in a period piece.  The bottom row looks nice though, other than that gold dress.  That looks like a period piece dress as well. 

I like the top picture (2nd from right) -- the gal dressed in silver/gray, although I do not like the beehive hairstyle.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:41:57 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 09:45:42 PM »
LOL!!!! Byzantine ready to wear.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 04:06:15 PM »

I don't know what you mean by traditional dress. But most headgear for many men and women in the Middle East and elsewhere served practical reasons and also formal reasons. I'll do a double check on this if you want, but Lebanon and the Damascus area of Syria by the time of my Great Sito's(1920's)  generation, head dresses were probably not normative with either Christians or Muslims.  Very few of the Muslims I know from the region (which is a lot) wear a head dress.   My sito's generation doesn't really wear them in any major capacity.

I notice head dresses (usually very stylish modern ones) on Arabic TV shows, but I think most of the programing is Turkish, with a minority of it being Egyptian. Even there I don't think head dresses are the norm, either for men or women.   So as far as I know, most of the TV Arab Americans watch isnt really Levantine, and very little, if any of the Arabic programming comes from Lebanon.

No Christian man I know wore any traditional Arabic head gear, the older generation did the sensible and more stylish thing and wore Western hats, most of that stuff is associated with hardcore Muslims, Saudis, and Turks I think. Like I said, I'll double check this if you want, or maybe another Arab can confirm or correct me.

It sounds like Archane's story of Greek head gear sounds similar?  My off the cuff crazy random speculation is fashion may have changed once the Turkish yoke was lifted and certain clothes were dropped that reminded people of Ottoman rule, and more towards more progressive trends.  But that's just a blind guess.  All the Greek men of an older generation I know in America all wore western style hats as well.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:27:29 PM by William T »

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »
It sounds like Archane's story of Greek head gear sounds similar?  My off the cuff crazy random speculation is fashion may have changed once the Turkish yoke was lifted and certain clothes were dropped that reminded people of Ottoman rule, and more towards more progressive trends.  But that's just a blind guess.  All the Greek men of an older generation I know in America all wore western style hats as well.

Headscarves (triangular, tied under the chin babushka-style) were the hallmark of the Greek peasant woman until the 1960s or so, whether they wore folk dress or not. City women wore hats, which fell out of fashion after WW2. Any hats you see now, on men or women, are primarily fashion statements, and headscarves are to be seen only at folk dance performances in full costume.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »
I just talked to my aunt:

So it may have been a bit more common than I suggested (my family were from a village FYI). Some women would wear this on their head on occasion for Liturgy and formal/festive affairs in my Great Grandmother/ Grandmother's time.  While most women may have done this from time to time, it wasn't really an overwhelming norm.  Most of the people did not wear headgear most of the time, though many women wore head coverings some of the time (Arabic Lincoln quote?). 

Supposedly this still happens, especially in the villages (most of my extant family in Syria or Lebanon now lives in the City), but is even more rare, but far from eccentric.  Men don't really wear anything.

I learn something new everyday.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:29:40 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »

Headscarves (triangular, tied under the chin babushka-style) were the hallmark of the Greek peasant woman until the 1960s or so, whether they wore folk dress or not. City women wore hats, which fell out of fashion after WW2. Any hats you see now, on men or women, are primarily fashion statements, and headscarves are to be seen only at folk dance performances in full costume.

AH yes.  There is a rumour out there that on home video, a certain 11 yr old boy has been filmed wearing such a headscarve, holding his great grandma's cane , and wearing her shoes doing his best impersonation of his venerable elder.  If this legend is correct, it also states that boy was grounded shortly after the filming, and blackmailed five years later with said video by his wretched, wicked, and conniving little sister when he had his first high school girlfriend.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:36:10 PM by William T »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »

and

It was some fashion show by Chanel.  Inspired by Byzantine fashion.  I don't think I like anything on  that top row with all the dresses and weird shoes.  I don't think anyone could wear any of that stuff.  Everything still looks like it belongs in a period piece.  The bottom row looks nice though, other than that gold dress.  That looks like a period piece dress as well. 

I like the top picture (2nd from right) -- the gal dressed in silver/gray, although I do not like the beehive hairstyle.

I agree.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
William T,

I fear for your sincerity.

My apologies,

Norm

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
William T,

My apologies,

Norm

Thanks for your concern.  I may be a bit naive and "off the bus" to internet culture, but in "real" life I am very far from that.  I don't think I'm doing anything to jeopardize anyone else other than my own pride when I post here.  Anyway, if I'm making some faux pas for internet culture, or you have some concern , feel free to PM me.  And again, thanks for your concern, and as you seem to be if a fiery and intermittent temperament that I may disagree, don't worry about jumping down my throat if I say anything stupid or wrong.  Like I said, I'm a big boy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:13:57 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:35 PM »
William T,

My apologies,

Norm

Thanks for your concern.  I may be a bit naive and "off the bus" to internet culture, but in "real" life I am very far from that.  I don't think I'm doing anything to jeopardize anyone else other than my own pride when I post here.  Anyway, if I'm making some faux pas for internet culture, or you have some concern , feel free to PM me.  And again, thanks for your concern, and as you seem to be if a fiery and intermittent temperament that I may disagree, don't worry about jumping down my throat if I say anything stupid or wrong.  Like I said, I'm a big boy.

And by intermittent, I meant intelligent.  Swype be a harsh mistress.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »
LOL!!!! Byzantine ready to wear.

And our favorite man from Eugene finds it terrifying.

Fret-a-Porter, as it were.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 10:28:31 PM »

and

The grey, purple, and gold dress all look.nice, but do you think you can wear it out anywhere in.today's world?  The Gold Dress, maybe a young woman at some high end New year's party could wear a dress like that, and it would look very fitting. 

However,those other outfits you can see a woman of different shapes and sizes of 25 or 75 being able to wear such designs quite gracefully and elegantly.

PS: I don't mind beehives at.all. They look even nicer if they have some curls and volume.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:47:38 PM by William T »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 10:46:33 PM »
They need real superhumerals.

You know what would also look fly? The Whitney Houston stefana:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/202746383/greek-stefana-stefana-greek-crowns?ref=market
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:08:00 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
They need real superhumerals.

You know what would also look fly? The Whitney Houston stefana:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/202746383/greek-stefana-stefana-greek-crowns?ref=market

I don't think I get the joke or terms like superhumeral.  If you're making fun of a kind of glitz and glamour, yes  ultimately my glitzy heart is covered in a plastic so you don't ruin the furniture, and surrounded by porcelain pillars for glamorous effect, I'm that chincy and tacky.  I don't claim to have the best taste.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:20:50 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:47 PM »
William T,

My apologies,

Norm

And by intermittent, I meant intelligent.  Swype be a harsh mistress.

Try Nintype. Much better.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 11:49:30 PM »
AH yes.  There is a rumour out there that on home video, a certain 11 yr old boy has been filmed wearing such a headscarve, holding his great grandma's cane , and wearing her shoes doing his best impersonation of his venerable elder.  If this legend is correct, it also states that boy was grounded shortly after the filming, and blackmailed five years later with said video by his wretched, wicked, and conniving little sister when he had his first high school girlfriend.

Am I the only one who has no clue what this bizarre story is supposed to be or mean?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 12:21:59 AM »
I don't think I get the joke or terms like superhumeral. 
A superhumeral is the byzantine armor-like ornament worn from the shoulders to the sternum.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 12:25:22 AM »

Am I the only one who has no clue what this bizarre story is supposed to be or mean?

I wore my  great grandma's clothes to make.fun of her and got grounded and cussed out in Arabic  Somewhere in the future because of that event my sister ruined my debutant ball..  Mystery solved.  Are you happy now?  I have to write in my.diary again for the first time in ten years. Thanks for the PTSD.

Now ask me about the Book of Revelation, it's all about the latest policy from our Free Mason President, and I can prove it to you if you pop this red pill and follow my logic in 48 simple steps.  You just ruined my Christmas.

I'M a lumberjack and I'M OK and you're Ok.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:45:21 AM by William T »

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 03:27:01 AM »

I wore my  great grandma's clothes to make.fun of her and got grounded and cussed out in Arabic  Somewhere in the future because of that event my sister ruined my debutant ball..  Mystery solved.  Are you happy now?  I have to write in my.diary again for the first time in ten years. Thanks for the PTSD.

Now ask me about the Book of Revelation, it's all about the latest policy from our Free Mason President, and I can prove it to you if you pop this red pill and follow my logic in 48 simple steps.  You just ruined my Christmas.

Wut?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 04:05:44 AM »
Just ride the wave. William is an enjoyable read.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:49 AM »
You forgot to page Fabio Leite, an expert on modern and fashionable feminine modesty.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 04:16:01 AM »

Wut?

But I do not understand what he writes. I mean words put together have no sense for me.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 06:12:34 AM »

Wut?

But I do not understand what he writes. I mean words put together have no sense for me.

mike, the minute revitalizes the heavy loss.  I mean, seriously, why does the distance officiate the remarkable support?  The produce authors the macabre part.

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
I don't think I get the joke or terms like superhumeral. 
A superhumeral is the byzantine armor-like ornament worn from the shoulders to the sternum.

You need to get a life.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:06 PM »
The child in the background thinks aloud, "One hides amid pornography, angry music, television that shows the worst of mankind, misanthropic politics, an internet populace led by all the passions: and then one asks, 'Where is God?'"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
The child in the background thinks aloud, "One hides amid pornography, angry music, television that shows the worst of mankind, misanthropic politics, an internet populace led by all the passions: and then one asks, 'Where is God?'"

best summarized as 'ewwwwww'
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Here comes the Easter Bugny
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »

According to Augustin, in rural Romania this would be considered incredibly deviant porn.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:22:52 PM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2016, 01:07:37 AM »

best summarized as 'ewwwwww'

You know, I haven't heard a kid say, "Yucky!" in a long time.  And I have three nephews who, of course, do gross things.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:55 AM »
http://liturgicaltime.net/

http://liturgicaltime.net/collections/vintage-babushkas

I am not sure what to say about hats out of context.

Top, I like the fabric. I made my living room drapes out of a fabric similar to this (sewing drapes are easier than shirts).

Middle, dislike, perhaps because it clashes with what she is wearing.

Bottom, temporarily liked this a lot but then I saw what it looked like from behind. When I was a kid, most women in church wore pill box style hats (it was the Jacqueline Kennedy era) or shell shaped hats. I think the addition of veils was more associated with cocktail party hats, maybe somebody knows with greater certainty than me. I do like the collar of the dress or jacket that she is wearing.

If I were a woman and discovered that head coverings were required, I would go to the car and put on the hoodie that you seem to reject:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,49734.msg878553.html#msg878553

As a note, I think the bandana face mask was used to hide the identity of the designer of the hoodie. This was meant to be a limited edition that required pre-sales to make the cost reasonable. This happens with mechanical watches all of the time, but you do not need to show your face with the watch, just your arm.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 02:11:44 AM »
My wife wears custom snoods that I ordered as a gift for her around the time we were married. One is a cheerful, light sky blue and the other is antique white. Each has different trimmings, lace on the white one. They catch the hair (I guess all snoods do) and have ties that fasten at the nape.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 02:19:22 AM »
Men can get in on the modesty game too.  Snoods for dudes:

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:27 AM »

Can we have a single thread here not about homosexuality?

Thanks.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 02:41:47 AM »

Thanks.

No.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 04:30:58 AM »

You mean, this?

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

I guess Star Wars fans have demanded more authenticity in their costumes.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »

Thanks.
That can be rather hard to do when you and Porter are crushing on each other in just about every thread.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
I went to a ROCOR parish yesterday and saw a wide variety of ladies' headgear.  Nothing as pretty as the OP, but all styles and materials.  Snoods, lace, scarves, crochet, hats, kerchiefs, etc.  Unfortunately, no black ladies with amazing church hats.  It just ain't really church church, 'til you got a hat parade.  I guess headscarf parade will have to do from now on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:33:29 AM by hecma925 »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
I went to a ROCOR parish yesterday and saw a wide variety of ladies' headgear.  Nothing as pretty as the OP, but all styles and materials.  Snoods, lace, scarves, crochet, hats, kerchiefs, etc.  Unfortunately, no black ladies with amazing church hats.  It just ain't really church church, 'til you got a hat parade.  I guess headscarf parade will have to do from now on.

It's sad that American men have the word "snood" in their active vocabulary.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2016, 03:01:41 AM »

That's the least offensive word to be created in the English language in the last 20 years and you know it.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 03:40:13 AM »

That's the least offensive word to be created in the English language in the last 20 years and you know it.

"Snood" in the modern sense goes back to the 30s.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 03:51:23 AM »

I work outside a lot in Chicago winters.  I wear something like that with a protective mask.  Either way, it's really nice to have unless I'm wearing sunglasses, then the condensation from breathing with the mask ruins my vision.

Head gear like that is great for bearing rough elements.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:05:25 AM by William T »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Just wear a balaclava.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:31:30 AM by nothing »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
This is the only snood I am aware of, and I played the heck out of that game in the late 90s.

God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
This is the only snood I am aware of, and I played the heck out of that game in the late 90s.

Very fun game.....

and the word for ladies headwear is not a new thing.....older

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/snood

a pouchlike hat, often of net, loosely holding a woman's hair at the back
a headband, esp one formerly worn by young unmarried women in Scotland

Word Origin and History for snood
n.

Old English snod "ribbon for the hair," from Proto-Germanic *snodo (cf. Swedish snod "string, cord"), from PIE root *(s)ne- "to spin, sew" (cf. Lettish snate "a linen cover," Old Irish snathe "thread;" see needle (n.)). In the Middle Ages, typically worn by young unmarried girls, hence "It was held to be emblematic of maidenhood or virginity" [Century Dictionary]. Modern fashion meaning "bag-like hair net" first recorded 1938 (these also were worn by girls in the Middle Ages, but they are not snoods properly).

came into use around 900
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.