Author Topic: Two new threads needed for ecclesiastical documents  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Two new threads needed for ecclesiastical documents
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
We have a thread for documents from World Orthodoxy, entitled, "Documents from the North American Episcopal Assembly," where discussion and debate are not allowed.

Could we please have a similar thread for documents from True Orthodoxy?

And could we please have a similar thread for documents from Oriental Orthodoxy?
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Two new threads needed for ecclesiastical documents
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »

But you wrote it exists already. I'm confused.

We have a thread for documents from World Orthodoxy, entitled, "Documents from the North American Episcopal Assembly,"

Nevertheless, why won't you start a thread if you need it's necessary?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:31:38 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:38 PM »
Nevertheless, why won't you start a thread if you need it's necessary?

Exactly.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 01:41:09 AM »
What is truth?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:17:47 AM »
We have a thread for documents from World Orthodoxy, entitled, "Documents from the North American Episcopal Assembly," where discussion and debate are not allowed.

And could we please have a similar thread for documents from Oriental Orthodoxy?

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=27921.0

I would think that you could start something similar for the Old Calendarists if you wanted to.

Similar documents for the Oriental Orthodox could probably just go in the Sources for Oriental Orthodox Studies thread.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:24:32 AM »

I would think that you could start something similar for the Old Calendarists if you wanted to.

Similar documents for the Oriental Orthodox could probably just go in the Sources for Oriental Orthodox Studies thread.

Yes, I would like to have a pinned thread similar to the one that Father George started. However, I am not a mod, I do not want to be a mod here, and neither can I pin a thread.

Even though Anastasios is the Webmaster and CEO of OrthodoxChristianity.net, there is no private forum for Old Calendarists where we can store documents, yet there is one for the Oriental Orthodox.

Everytime I post an Old Calendar synodal document, it gets derailed. If I try to start a thread (as I attempted to do), it will only get derailed once again with unsavory discussions.

Yet, the New Calendarists have a place set aside for Synodal documents that Father George started where discussion is not allowed.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:27:06 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:38 AM »
Hmmm...

My suggestion would be to start the thread in Christian News and then ask the mods to make it a sticky.  It's worth a try.  :-)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Even though Anastasios is the Webmaster and CEO of OrthodoxChristianity.net, there is no private forum for Old Calendarists where we can store documents, yet there is one for the Oriental Orthodox.

For the record, "Oriental Orthodox Discussion" predates his conversion to (Old Calendarist) Orthodoxy.  Since his conversion, he doesn't seem to have thought that starting a separate section for Old Calendarists was advisable.  If you feel strongly about it, you might consider talking to him, but I suspect it is a deliberate choice. 

Everytime I post an Old Calendar synodal document, it gets derailed. If I try to start a thread (as I attempted to do), it will only get derailed once again with unsavory discussions.

I think that has less to do with the fact that it is an "Old Calendar synodal document" (though that bias certainly pops up now and then) and more to do with the way you post it, your commentary about it, etc. 

Yet, the New Calendarists have a place set aside for Synodal documents that Father George started where discussion is not allowed.

I agree with Salpy's suggestion.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 04:52:32 AM »
I actually think the idea of having sticky threads for these documents is of dubious value; I think it would be better to have open discussions on each document.   A sticky thread might exist as a "control thread" with links to the subordinate threads in which the actual documents had been linked to.  I don't see why we should not engage in interesting and relevant discussions on these threads.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »

Yes, I would like to have a pinned thread similar to the one that Father George started. However, I am not a mod, I do not want to be a mod here, and neither can I pin a thread.

Maria,

A few items for consideration:

1. Pinning a document does not prevent discussion: it merely keeps the thread on top.

2. Fr. George's threads actually permit discussion.  The fact that they have not been 'derailed' may give you pause to consider why your thread derailed.

3. The OCNet is all about "True Orthodoxy" to begin with and so you need to come up with some other way of expressing yourself about your beliefs.  I believe that my jurisdiction does keep 'True Orthodoxy'... shall we play that game?

4. The aforementioned threads were not jurisdiction- or communion-specific, but were devoted to particular ongoing events.  They are not 'New Calendarist Threads' so to speak.

5. I believe that if a poster wants to post their opinions and commentaries, then they should not be able to hide behind a moderatorial ban on discussion.  If the OCNet decides to create a document thread, it would only be fair that such a thread merely hold documents and not any comments from any posters.  This would probably best be done by posters PMing links to the documents that people want posted, and then the mods posting the links to the original documents.  Posters could then copy the links and use them to engage in debates in the appropriate Fora.  So, yes, if it is posted, it will eventually be discussed.

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
4. The aforementioned threads were not jurisdiction- or communion-specific, but were devoted to particular ongoing events.  They are not 'New Calendarist Threads' so to speak.

[/size][/font]

Not to mention 30% of these Churches are Old-Calendar.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.