OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:24:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTR Symphony  (Read 1721 times) Average Rating: 0
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« on: July 26, 2005, 03:38:22 PM »

Superb.  It is a symphony in 6 movements, two for each film. Howard Shore's co-arranger of the symphony, John Mauceri, conducted.  It was done beautifully.  Three solosits provided vocals and Billy Boyd performed Ash and Shadow. 

Unfortunately the Pittsburgh perfomance was the last in the US for this year.  On August 8 and 9 it will be in Athens, Greece at the Odeon Herod Atticus.  Starting Feb 2006 it will begin a run at Prince of Wales Theater in Toronto that will last through August.

If you get a chance go see it you will not be dissappointed.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:13:32 AM »

We were fortunate to hear and see this concert in Baltimore in December.  Mr. Mauceri was the conductor then also.  That's wonderful that you had Billy Boyd to sing, too.  We had Susan Egan as one of the singers and she was wonderful.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:46:46 PM »

Darn being a student w/ no time...sigh...although I finish school in T-minus 11 days! Smiley question is, when does the symphony come back to the Northeast of USA? Smiley

Thank you for the review Decon Lance - it sounds like it was absolutely wonderful. And Billy Boyd live - wow that musta been something. His song in ROTK is beautifully haunting, I love it.

hmmmm...
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »

I was also lucky enough to attend the Pittsburgh production of the Symphony on July 23.  I was, shall we say, less than impressed with Mr. Boyd's performance, however.  I was rather expecting him to actually go out on stage and sing his solo.  Instead, he simply stood up in his stage-right box, they shone a spotlight on him, and he sang from there.  From where I was sitting (stage-right balcony), you could hardly see him.  His voice was the same as in the movie, though I wish that the techs had turned up the sound on him; you could hardly hear him over the string section when they came in toward the end of his solo.

Apart from that minor caveat, though, it was a wonderful performance.  The tickets were worth every penny.  Now, to find myself a CD of the Symphony...

Námarië,
-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

I was, shall we say, less than impressed with Mr. Boyd's performance, however.  I was rather expecting him to actually go out on stage and sing his solo.  Instead, he simply stood up in his stage-right box, they shone a spotlight on him, and he sang from there.  From where I was sitting (stage-right balcony), you could hardly see him.  His voice was the same as in the movie, though I wish that the techs had turned up the sound on him; you could hardly hear him over the string section when they came in toward the end of his solo.

Aw that does sound a bit disappointing...I'm guessing he was there primarily as a spectator and not as a performer but agreed to sing the solo...?

Deacon Lance, how was he situated in the performance you saw?

hmmmm...
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 08:42:44 AM »

Donna,

He sang from the stage box as well but I could see him perfectly and he sounded fine.  The techs must have been on their toes that night.  I failed to mention there was a q & a with Billy Boyd and John Mauceri before the performance, so getting to ask questions of Billy Boyd about his experience was pretty neat.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »

Fr. Deacon Lance,

Gotcha...wow the q & a sounds great! I bet he talked about how he composed the music for his bit...who is John Mauceri? the conductor perhaps?

hmm maybe next time the symphony performs in the USA I'll be able to go (although for what I've been told it won't be for a while). Thanks for the review of your experience!

Donna

hmmmm...
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 12:38:40 PM »

Donna,

John Mauceri was the conductor.  He is the conductor of the Pittsburgh Symphony and is actually the one who encouraged Howard Shore to arrange the LOTR score into a symphony and then ended up being his co-arranger for the symphony.

Fr. Deacon Lance

ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »

Wow.  I knew that Maestro Mauceri was the conducter of the PSO, but I didn't know that he was the one who convinced Howard Shore to arrange the symphony.  That's amazing.

Which performance did you go to, Fr. Dn.?  I was at the one on Saturday, and I was blown away.  Unfortunately, I had troubles finding a parking spot downtown (but who doesn't?) and didn't get in until about 20 minutes into the symphony.  And then we had to climb over a whole row to get to our seats.  Still a wonderful performance, though.

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 11:07:10 AM »

I went to the Friday performance.

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 03:37:48 PM »

What does LOTR stand for?
and what movie was it from?
(Sorry if I sound either stupid or hopelessly out of touch)
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 04:09:20 PM »

Brother Aidan,

LOTR = Lord of the Rings...from the movie trilogy of the same name.

no worries about not recognizing the abbreviation Smiley

D

hmmmm...
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 04:44:50 PM »

Thanks
I think I have a part of that on a CD of Celtic muisc - a kind of Celtic sampler (might even be a Windham Hill sampler)
which, BTW, reminds me there are 2 songs on that CD by Sinead O'Connor that are wonderful. She no longer sings secular music and has changed her name and only sings with the monks (Benedictine) of Glenstal Abbey. She must have recorded these songs prior to that decision.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 04:45:46 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 11:43:25 AM »

Thanks
I think I have a part of that on a CD of Celtic muisc - a kind of Celtic sampler (might even be a Windham Hill sampler)
which, BTW, reminds me there are 2 songs on that CD by Sinead O'Connor that are wonderful. She no longer sings secular music and has changed her name and only sings with the monks (Benedictine) of Glenstal Abbey. She must have recorded these songs prior to that decision.

I would suspect, Brother Aidan, that your CD is not the LoTR Symphony mentioned above, meaning no disrespect.ÂÂ  There is a large body of music, both vocal and instrumental that has been inspired by Professor Tolkien's works.ÂÂ  I have a good number of CDs of these works, some rock, some folk, some more medieval, and one by Donald Swann (of Flanders and Swann fame) done with the Professor's guidence..ÂÂ  I do not have any that in the Heavy Metal tradition, but I have heard that they exist.

The LotR Symphony referred to is based on the music of Howard Shore from the three movies of the last few years: "The Fellowship of the Ring" "The Two Towers"and "The Return of the King".ÂÂ  (and it's some very fine music, imho.ÂÂ  Wink )

Ebor
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 11:45:04 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 10:05:56 AM »

If you can listen to things on-line, there is a program of "Sound and "Spirit" about LotR.  It has a variety of musics that are about LotR or are from sources or roots of the story: symphonic (de Meij not Shore.  This program was originally broadcast in 2001 before the first movie was released). songs from the books that different people and groups have set to music and some "Filk" which is a subset of songs that came out of the Science Fiction fans/Conventions milieu.  The name was a type of "folk" from the days of mimeographs which could not be just erased and redone.  The is also a lovely redition of Samwise's song from the last volume that fits to an English hymn tune.

There is also some discussion about the books and how reading them over ones life can lead to different significances.

http://www.wgbh.org/pages/pri/spirit/2005index.html#059

the show is for September 4th. Click on "Listen"

Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: