Author Topic: Time - Going to Church on Christmas: A Vanishing Tradition  (Read 3832 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Time - Going to Church on Christmas: A Vanishing Tradition
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »
Vigil was fairly well attended, church was almost full. Annointing lasted pretty much to the end of it (but that happens ususally). After that some people left but the remaining ones made about the same amount as medium DL attendance (but we have to DLs).
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: Time - Going to Church on Christmas: A Vanishing Tradition
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
Our church is close to empty at Christmas (and Pascha). We're a small mission, so most of those who have been Orthodox for a fairly long time revert to attending their "home parish". Others claim that they are always expected to spend Christmas with sister, cousin, grandma, etc. This is true of both cradles and converts. I think we're going to have to wait a few years longer until we have enough people who don't have a former Orthodox home to go back to before we see bigger crowds at those feasts. At Christmas (we did late evening Orthros and DL) the only ones in attendance besides one non-Orthodox visitor who drops in occasionally were our priest, our two subdeacons, four chanters, and a few members of their families - I think 16 in all. We actually had a bigger attendance at Wednesday morning's Theophany services - 21 if I counted correctly.