OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 03:00:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell?  (Read 4973 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 02:53:13 AM »

What's xls up to lately?

Anyone heard from them?

If you are reading this, you are missed.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:12 AM »

Blah, Blah, Blah....Just more anti-Orthodox propaganda.  Guys if this site is run by who I think it is, most people take what they say with a grain of salt.  I believe the site is run by an Independent Fundamental Baptist group.  The IFB's are very extreme (I know, as I was one of them).  They believe that the KJV is the only true Bible and all others are Perversions from Hell.  They think they are the only ones going to heaven (heck, when I converted to them from the Southern Baptist Church, I had to be rebaptized...),  They hate alcohol, smoking, Contemporary Christian Music, any music that is not Baptist Hymns.  These guys aren't to be taken seriously.  They are a small fringe group who have some very weird ideas.

Do you think they should be hospitalized.? I say you betcha!

Whether you are a male or female,  I might be inclined to marry you, if you make the above the template for every post you ever post here.

I love a great tag line.

This one is so brilliant I could discuss it all night (or at least for 45 minutes), but I am going back to sleep.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »

What's xls up to lately?

Anyone heard from them?

If you are reading this, you are missed.
Dude, that guy was banned even before I opened an account on this forum. I've never seen a new post from him.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

so the sacraments aren't an absolute necessity?

When invited to a feast, do you stick with the portions that are the bare necessities? Our God is generous in His distribution of Grace, why wouldn't we wish to partake of Him fully?

For most of us, the sacraments are indeed necessary- as necessary as more than the mere "necessities" are to any man's sanity. For a very few God grants a greater economy- the baptism they receive is baptism by blood and they participate in the Eucharist by offering up their own body and blood to the Lord. They bypass the need for clergy and confession by being elevated to the rank of martyr.

No one would say the martyr converted at the very trial of another martyr and condemned upon this new confession is not part of the Church because they did not receive a triple immersion baptism, Chrismation, Confession, and Communion before being killed. But I doubt we're in a hurry to line up to take their way.

I agree. But I also would like to know what the absolute necessities are. is that so bad? how come no one ever talks about them too?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

so the sacraments aren't an absolute necessity?
Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.  - John 6:53

so I guess communion is. But are there any other sacraments that absolute necessities?

“God has no religion.”
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »

so I guess communion is. But are there any other sacraments that absolute necessities?

Baptism & Chrismation - “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." - John 3:5
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

When you're talking about a God who can do anything, and for whom all things are possible, and who wishes all to be saved, speaking in such absolutes seems counter-productive. Rather than talking of necessities wouldn't it be better to ask what is helpful and productive in living the life in Christ? The question should not be "Can I live without the sacraments?" but rather "If they are indeed helpful and grace-full, why would I want to live without the sacraments?"

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »

When you're talking about a God who can do anything, and for whom all things are possible, and who wishes all to be saved, speaking in such absolutes seems counter-productive. Rather than talking of necessities wouldn't it be better to ask what is helpful and productive in living the life in Christ? The question should not be "Can I live without the sacraments?" but rather "If they are indeed helpful and grace-full, why would I want to live without the sacraments?"

Wisdom!

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »

Tweety, are you sure you're Orthodox? C'Mon, you ain't gotta lie to kick it.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »

This is a great post of course and I think it points out a pernicious problem:

The conflation of philosophy and theology.

Both East and West are guilty of the above and it might be nearly impossible for some to imagine one without the other; however, a less confused world will be impossible till more people understand this radical problem and how it came to be.

But this would touch on so many aspects of Western thought (this includes the East) I doubt theology will ever be able to recover its radical appropriation of the divine rather than the conflation of the divine with being.

JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »

How are we to have theology without philosophy, going even farther, how can we have ANY knowledge without using our minds in a rationalistic manner? I don't understand the criticism against Scholasticism. All of this understanding things through our "being" or "feelings" or some other weirdo introspective stuff seems very vague to me, and even then, doesn't escape the fact that even our feelings and emotions are interpreted by the mind, therefore the mind is all we have.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »

you have a point here. I agree. But I actually need to know as much as I can about the absolute necessities. So I can shut some people's mouths. Because There have been people in my life, who have no life of their own, and they have been trying to tell me how to live mine.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »

How are we to have theology without philosophy, going even farther, how can we have ANY knowledge without using our minds in a rationalistic manner? I don't understand the criticism against Scholasticism. All of this understanding things through our "being" or "feelings" or some other weirdo introspective stuff seems very vague to me, and even then, doesn't escape the fact that even our feelings and emotions are interpreted by the mind, therefore the mind is all we have.

lol!!!are you me in a different dimesion?

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for your courage to express them for me. With all this criticism around. I am too scared to express all my thoughts, because I don't want more judgement than there already is.

“God has no religion.”
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »

We'll talk.

Tags: jesus-is-savior.com 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: